Rogers Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would have made it my fault - which would have been tolerable - still would have been pissed orf - but could have coped with that.

I dont want to say too much on the tribulations I faced - but to cut to the chase - the conical I brought wasnt treated on the inside - it looked clean - smelt clean - sterilised up OK.

But it wasnt passivated - so when I tasted the first sample - all I got was a chromic metallic tang.

Floating around on the surface and the krausen ring was black grit.

The inside of the conical looked like this - where once it was shiny stainless.

View attachment 14856View attachment 14857

The beer went down the sink :angry: seriously it tasted like poison.

After I took it to my local stainless welder bloke - who pickled it and now it looks like this :

View attachment 14858View attachment 14866

The bloke I brought the conical off has been very helpful - infact he has gone above the call of duty - he has sold hundreds of these things and hasnt had an issue like this.

He even offered to pay for the ingredients for the brew I lost.

Moral of the story - stainless aint stainless unless its been passivated.

RM

A tragic turn of events, Roger Mellie !

It sounds as though the tinker you bought it from is a decent chap at least?
Good luck with your future batches. I will also try your recipe for myself.
Thanks ;)

It sounds as though the tinker you bought it from is a decent chap at least?
Good luck with your future batches. I will also try your recipe for myself.
Thanks ;)

He is that - very apologetic - cant do enough to help me out. He has sent me a replacement conical free of charge.

I got an email from him yesterday saying that he had also sent me USD32 via paypal to reimburse me for the ingredients I lost - which was nice - as I had emailed him saying that wasnt necessary.

It would appear that there was a manufacturing hiccup with SOME of the latest batch of conicals - not his fault - but he certainly is doing everything to put it right.

As for the Rogers Clone - would be interested to see how it comes out Jimmy - certainly was tasting fine out of the kettle.

I have a Steinlager clone to make before I get back to the Rogers - but as it is my favorite named beer - will do whatever it takes to get it close.

And of course post the results here

Cheers

RM

He is that - very apologetic - cant do enough to help me out. He has sent me a replacement conical free of charge.

I got an email from him yesterday saying that he had also sent me USD32 via paypal to reimburse me for the ingredients I lost - which was nice - as I had emailed him saying that wasnt necessary.

It would appear that there was a manufacturing hiccup with SOME of the latest batch of conicals - not his fault - but he certainly is doing everything to put it right.

As for the Rogers Clone - would be interested to see how it comes out Jimmy - certainly was tasting fine out of the kettle.

I have a Steinlager clone to make before I get back to the Rogers - but as it is my favorite named beer - will do whatever it takes to get it close.

And of course post the results here

Cheers

RM
Can I have the old conical? Im already poisoned. :blink: Best of luck the guy seems like a good fellow and very honest.Boy I like Steinlager too!

Can I have the old conical? Im already poisoned. :blink: Best of luck the guy seems like a good fellow and very honest.Boy I like Steinlager too!

Unfortunatley I am such an honest person myself I think it only right to disable it from circulation by attacking it with a hammer - :ph34r:

RM

I've just poured a Roger's clone this afternoon. I based this BIAB beer on RM's recipe, but used chinook pellets to dry hop the primary ...because I was "in a hurry" and short on fermenter space, I dumped onto a skunkfart pale ale yeastcake. Yeast was us56.

Colour and aroma are very close! I reckon my beer is a bit "thin" as I added a couple of litres to the fermenter. (24L)

Taste is maybe not quite there ...but close enough to suggest that this is a Roger's.
Given the "modifications" to RM's recipe, I reckon this one is definitely worth another shot.

I'll be sticking to chinook for dry hopping ...and probably easing back slightly on the bittering additions.

Thanks for the recipe RM. How are you going with attempt number 2?

Cheers, jimmy

I've just poured a Roger's clone this afternoon. I based this BIAB beer on RM's recipe, but used chinook pellets to dry hop the primary ...because I was "in a hurry" and short on fermenter space, I dumped onto a skunkfart pale ale yeastcake. Yeast was us56.

Colour and aroma are very close! I reckon my beer is a bit "thin" as I added a couple of litres to the fermenter. (24L)

Taste is maybe not quite there ...but close enough to suggest that this is a Roger's.
Given the "modifications" to RM's recipe, I reckon this one is definitely worth another shot.

I'll be sticking to chinook for dry hopping ...and probably easing back slightly on the bittering additions.

Thanks for the recipe RM. How are you going with attempt number 2?

Cheers, jimmy

Jimmy

I too am 'close'

# 2 had too much Chocolate - and too much Chinook - came out tasting like a Coffee flavoured Grapefuit Beer - not in a bad way - but just too much. Actually its bloody nice after 4 weeks CC - but not LC Rogers.

# 3 is much closer - but I have an issue with my filter at the moment so its a bit murky - needs to drop.

Actually - I brought a 6 pack of the LC Rogers as it had been so long since I had tried it. 2 things sprang to mind

1. It is a different beer when drank fresh from the tanks at LC in Freo
2. I dont actually like the bottled version as much.

These are the 'keepers' so far. Well they are my keepers.

Chinook - a little late then a little more Dry. This hop is potent - but Im certain it is the LC 'hopback' hop they use.
Keep Amber away
Not 100% that Chocolate is the grain to be using to adjust the colour - I didnt get any Coffee in the bottled stuff - maybe Dark Crystal? or Caramel Wheat.
I have given up trying to get a 3.8% beer - 4.5 - 5.5 is easier for my setup
US56 is better than Nottingham for this one

I am going to get there - will share all findings.

RM

Hey Mate,

nice to see your getting there, my next mash is going to be some sort of amber somewhere along the lines of what your doing,
Here's the recipe i'm looking at going with:

25. American Amber Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.10
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.75
Anticipated EBC: 24.4
Anticipated IBU: 40.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
86.6 8.75 kg. Ale Malt 1.038 5
5.0 0.50 kg. Medium Crystal Australia 1.035 145
5.0 0.50 kg. Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
2.5 0.25 kg. Biscuit Malt Great Britain 1.035 69
1.0 0.10 kg. Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 750

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 14.4 60 min.
25.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 17.8 60 min.
60.00 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 8.6 15 min.
60.00 g. Cascade Pellet 6.70 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
1272 American Ale 2

I am just about to mash in a light AAA in the style of Rogers. While it is not a clone it has similarities to Rogers and is the beer I make the most often and drink the most of. It is based on a recipe of Ross's and I have tinkered with it slightly to suit my tastes. I mash at 70 deg to get full body and flavour while achieving the 3.5 to 3.8% ABV.

Light American Amber Ale AG schedule
No Chill 06-11-2007

Batch size- 42 Lt (into Fermenter 40lt)
Total Bitterness - 24 IBUS
2.2 kg Aust ale malt grain
2.2 kg German Pils malt grain
1.0 kg Light Munich malt grain
0.6 kg Dark Munich malt grain
0.5 kg Medium crystal malt grain
0.3 kg Carapils malt grain
0.2 kg Chocolate malt grain
0.2 kg Caramunich malt grain
(7.2kg total grain)
Bittering hops 31g Cascade pellets (6.7%AA)
(30 min boil 12 IBU)

Flavour Hops 22g Amarillo pellets (8.9 % AA)
(15 min boil 7 IBU)
Flavour Hops 22g Cascade pellets (6.7% AA)
(15 min boil 5 IBU)

Aroma Hops 20g Amarillo hop pellets (8.9 % AA)
(0 min boil 0 IBU)
Aroma Hops 20g cascade hop pellets (6.7 % AA)
(0 min boil 0 IBU)

Dry Hop 20g Amarillo hop pellets (8.9 % AA)
(0 min boil 0 IBU) Add to each keg
Dry Hop 20g cascade hop pellets (6.7 % AA)
(0 min boil 0 IBU) Add to each keg

1x whirlfloc tablet
US56 ale yeast (repitch on 2nd gen yeastcake from batch 164)

Cheers
Mothballs

Latest posts

Back