Riwaka (D Saaz)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Duff,

D-Saaz is a great hop and would work well in a Pilsner in my opinion. Like Nelson Sauvin it can easily be overdone though, depending on your palate. I really like blending Kiwi hops as a rule and D-Saaz is a good candidate for it. On its own it can work well but I think it would be a bit OTT as a single hop - all the way through. The Autumn Ale we recently brewed at Murray's is very different to a Pilsner style but we used Green Bullet to bitter and D-Saaz late. Maybe try it with a different bittering hop and if you want to blend it with a Kiwi hop I'd reckon Pacific Hallertau would be a good potential candidate.

Either way you won't be sorry. A lovely hop in my opinion FWIW.

Shawn.

Thanks goatherder and Gough.

I am having a brew day next Saturday with FNQ Bunyip and will try it out. We'll split the batch and see how it goes.

I'll play around with a receipe in the next day or so.

Cheers.

I've just bottled 2 lagers this week, both the same grain bill and both bittered with NZ "Super Alpha"
One finished with B Saaz the other D Saaz.

Never used these hops before, but the D saaz is very fruity almost lolly in both flavour and aroma.
I will wait for a few weeks before making my mind up, but I also couldn't help thinking how this would go in an apa.

For me its similar to Amarillo great fruit flavour and aroma, but needs something else with it to balance it.
As I said above, I used Super Alpha for bittering and even on this result I couldn't see myself using it as a single hop all the way through.

Cheers
BB

OK, won't try a Pilsner first up with, will go an APA or sorts. Will combine with Cascade.

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers.

08-13 D Saaz Pale Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.50
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.27
Anticipated SRM: 5.5
Anticipated IBU: 35.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
70.6 6.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2
17.6 1.50 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 10
5.9 0.50 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2
5.9 0.50 kg. Weyermann Carahell Germany 1.035 13

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
70.00 g. Cascade Pellet 6.30 17.1 20 min.
70.00 g. D Saaz Pellet 5.60 15.2 20 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Pellet 6.30 1.6 5 min.
20.00 g. D Saaz Pellet 5.60 1.4 5 min.

Yeast
-----

Fermintis US05 American Ale

That looks great Duff, I reckon cascade will work well.

I just used some Riwaka at flameout in an ESB today. I've had these hops in the freezer for a while and I didn't even open the pack to have a sniff. As kind of an afterthought I threw a small amount into the ESB just for the hell of it.

I was quite struck at the lemony, earthy nature and thought that it was very similar to the EK goldings flavour hops that I had thrown in 20 minutes earlier. I loved the aroma.

Has anyone used Riwaka in anything English? How did it turn out?

I just used some Riwaka at flameout in an ESB today. I've had these hops in the freezer for a while and I didn't even open the pack to have a sniff. As kind of an afterthought I threw a small amount into the ESB just for the hell of it.

I was quite struck at the lemony, earthy nature and thought that it was very similar to the EK goldings flavour hops that I had thrown in 20 minutes earlier. I loved the aroma.

Has anyone used Riwaka in anything English? How did it turn out?

Nothing English but we used them in an IPA and we thought they were fruity. The taste is a bit fruity with a grapefruit taste. Hard to say for sure as it was a one of a kind brew with problems. A guy at our brew club thinks they are more like grapefruit. I wonder if some are mislabeled?

I don't think they're mislabeled. This is based purely on smelling the pellets, not the beer, so there's bound to be a difference. It may turn out grapefruit-like in the end, but going into the kettle it sure smelled lemony to me.

I can't wait to keg it. :wub:

I've used them before in a single-hop APA. I found them more orange than lemon and pretty intense as well. Good too. Strange that they were lemony to you. :huh:

I'm planning on using them soon in another APA but mixed with something more mellow, probably Pacific Hallertau. Can't see why a little wouldn't work well in a bitter.

Update. The beer is finished and has been sitting in my serving fridge for a couple of weeks. This is definitely a beer I'll brew again.

Aroma: The first thing that hits me is a nice low but distinct hoppiness. I am getting a low grapefruit-like aroma (but not like Cascade), but it's mixed with a woody/herbal note. Lots of nice berry-like esters from the yeast, and a supporting caramel aroma from the malt.

Flavour: Nearly even (not bitter, not malty) for the first couple of seconds that it's in your mouth, but that gives way to a fairly substantial caramel sweetness. Once the caramel fades, that woody/herbal hop character makes itself known. No trace of grapefruit is discernable. There is a nice lingering bitterness that isn't overpowering or harsh in the least. Very tasty.

Edit: A very distinct toasty/biscuit-like flavour develops in the aftertaste as it warms. Very nice.

Recipe (42l into the fermenters with a mash efficiency of 80%):

8.8kg 2 row (87%)
1.1kg dark crystal (10%)
321g biscuit malt (3%)

Mashed @65.5C (150F) 60 minutes

Hops:
48g Chinook (12%) 90 minutes
63g E K Goldings (4.2%) 20 minutes
28g Riwaka (D Saaz - 4.4%) flameout

Pitched onto WLP005 British Ale yeast cake from an earlier batch @26C. Fermented @22-23C for 13 days.

OG 1.059
FG 1.012

~34 IBU

I single-hopped this baby in a Blonde Ale partial brew I made 2 months ago and it is just a beautiful taste!

I just did a simple 1g/lt addition at 10 and 0min, I also dry hopped with the same amount and I've got to agree with the orange marmalade + toasted flavours description. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy those flavours but they are delicate and just sit gently on your palate complementing the malt perfectly. I'll admit that I was very pleasantly surprised.

Next time I'd move it back in the boil to 15 & 5minute additions and even up the quantities to maybe 1.3g/lt to get just a little more out of it. I don't think it's a hop you would want overpowering your beer but I certainly want more of it after my first taste :) .

Nice mate. I just bottled a saison that I ended up throwing 25g of Riwaka flowers in at flameout. Bit of a last minute thing but keen on seeing how it turns out. Know in a few weeks.

Mark, it may be a bit late but how'd the saison go with the riwaka?

Latest posts

Back