Riwaka (D Saaz)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made two side by side pils,one with B Saaz and S-189,the other with D Saaz and 2001 Urquell Lager keen to try them.

Batz

I've made two side by side pils,one with B Saaz and S-189,the other with D Saaz and 2001 Urquell Lager keen to try them.

Batz

Hi Batz

How did the pilsners taste?

Cheers
MAH

Any final reports on how this Hop came out in the brews?

yeah, anyone got any updates? I'm tempted to use this to dry hop a K&K Bavarian Lager

Sorry guys I had lost track of this thread while away.I will be ready for a taste test this weekend.The Pils have been in CC all this time.

Batz

I made a 100% D Saaz Pils last weekend, am looking forward to it and comparing with the 100% B Saaz I made recently (Yummo)

Both had the same grain bill and hopping schedules to get the true hop character out.

I wasn't able to taste them side by side (first one was drunk by all) and I did age (CC) the Saaz D longer but the biggest thing I noticed was Saaz B seemed stronger in hop flavour, maybe this was the aging though.

I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

I made an all D Saaz Ale thats been in primary for 10 days. I just took a hydro sample and it tasted great!!! I get tangerines and peaches. A very interesting hop indeed

Cheers, JJ

Ok so if I wasn't convinced before, which I was, I am now. This hop sounds awesome.
I know that a single hop beer would let me try the hop flavour etc but I don't have time to muck around with that sort of thing, dive in is my brewing style :), so, combination for this hop?
I'm thinking a two hop hopburstish APA, maybe with a small bittering addition...

I have, and even with Ross's service it is too late to change now:
Amarillo
Simcoe (only 30g)
Nelson Sauvin
Hallertau Aroma (NZ)
Horizon
Green Bullet (30g)
and a couple of others but they are spoken for...

I'm thinking Amarillo or Simcoe, particularly Simcoe, but would the piney flavour reported clash? After trying Jye's fantastic Simcoe, Amarillo Cascade combo I'm thinking that something similar would be good.
If I go Simcoe it would be split with the D Saaz in late additions, with D Saaz on it's own around that.
Grain bill will be a fairly simple ale with crystal, keeping it reasonably pale.

I was also tempted to go the Nelson Sauvin combo but that might be too much experimenting in one batch, even for me, plus I want it to use with the hallertau aroma in something...

So many options!!! Your thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

The family is away this weekend so I am stocking up for summer.
two days, three brews...
D Saaz etc. pale ale
Strawbeery 2007 - 4+kgs strawberries in a wheat
Something else - probably a lager of some sort for the hot weather...

I vote for Amarillo if you have to combine it with anything. I've only used it as a single hop and I really think you should give it a go like that. Single hop beers are not yucky you know. :unsure: :p

I vote for Amarillo if you have to combine it with anything. I've only used it as a single hop and I really think you should give it a go like that. Single hop beers are not yucky you know.
I know I know. But everytime I think about doing one the other hops in the freezer start singing 'what about me'...
If I've drunk enough that is :p

bconnery, I have a cube of NS bittered and D saaz flavoured/aroma'd Pilsner which I'll be pitching tomorrow. If you want to choose something other than NS then how about a swap? Mine should be ready in about 4 weeks.

bconnery, I have a cube of NS bittered and D saaz flavoured/aroma'd Pilsner which I'll be pitching tomorrow. If you want to choose something other than NS then how about a swap? Mine should be ready in about 4 weeks.
After much reading and deliberation I've decided to go for Simcoe with it.
Happy to try and organise something, I don't have anything set up for bottling from the keg yet but I'm working on it...
Very much a hopburst APA...

1051 - 1012 Est
31.9IBU
13.4 EBC

AmountItemType% or IBU
4100.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)Grain81.19 %
500.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)Grain9.90 %
200.00 gm Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC)Grain3.96 %
200.00 gm Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)Grain3.96 %50.00 gm Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)Grain0.99 %
30.00 gm D Saaz [5.60 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)Hops-
30.00 gm D Saaz [5.60 %] (20 min)Hops12.3 IBU
15.00 gm Simcoe [11.00 %] (15 min)Hops9.9 IBU
15.00 gm D Saaz [5.60 %] (10 min)Hops3.7 IBU
15.00 gm D Saaz [5.60 %] (5 min)Hops2.0 IBU
15.00 gm Simcoe [11.00 %] (5 min)Hops4.0 IBU
1 PkgsSafAle American Ale (US56) (DCL Yeast #S-05)Yeast-Ale

I tried 10g in a hefe FWK recently and couldn't tell it had anything in it :(

Next week's hefe will have 20g D Saaz and 10g NS flowers (out of style yes but who gives a dang) - this should help balance the clovey taste my yeast is giving me after 3 weeks in the keg.

Hopefully report back in a couple of weeks :beer:

After much reading and deliberation I've decided to go for Simcoe with it.
Happy to try and organise something, I don't have anything set up for bottling from the keg yet but I'm working on it...
Very much a hopburst APA...

1051 - 1012 Est
31.9IBU
13.4 EBC

AmountItemType% or IBU
4100.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)Grain81.19 %
500.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)Grain9.90 %
200.00 gm Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC)Grain3.96 %
200.00 gm Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)Grain3.96 %50.00 gm Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)Grain0.99 %
30.00 gm D Saaz [5.60 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)Hops-
30.00 gm D Saaz [5.60 %] (20 min)Hops12.3 IBU
15.00 gm Simcoe [11.00 %] (15 min)Hops9.9 IBU
15.00 gm D Saaz [5.60 %] (10 min)Hops3.7 IBU
15.00 gm D Saaz [5.60 %] (5 min)Hops2.0 IBU
15.00 gm Simcoe [11.00 %] (5 min)Hops4.0 IBU
1 PkgsSafAle American Ale (US56) (DCL Yeast #S-05)Yeast-Ale

Well this beer is now kegged and it is great. Definitely a stone fruit/tangerine/something flavour. I'm not great on these things but it is certainly an APA, but not as we know it...
The Simcoe has been by and large lost I think but without tasting it as a single hopped it is hard to know. Maybe next time.
I'm starting to think that something similar to this will work well as my pale ale grain bill too, just playing with the crystal types a little.
It is a family favourite, my wife didn't want me to take the keg to the Xmas swap.
Between this and NS I am in serious danger of giving up on non NZ hops altogether :)
Goatherder, once I sort out my from keg bottling we can certainly work something out. PM me your address...

I made an all D Saaz Ale thats been in primary for 10 days. I just took a hydro sample and it tasted great!!! I get tangerines and peaches. A very interesting hop indeed

Cheers, JJ

I had the pleasure of sampling this beer the other day - Full on peach with tangerine zest - FANTASTIC :icon_chickcheers:

cheers Ross

Batz

OK.I cracked the D Saaz keg............. 3.5 months in CC.
Holy Moly :eek: This is a nice hop! Very intense flavour but one I love,would work well in an APA,nicely balanced Pilsner all the same.This is a Pilsner for hops heads on a hot day ;)
I will be using this hop once again,and thanks to Ross and Josh for suppling the freshest of hop pellets.

Batz

Bump.

I scored some D Saaz from a fellow brewer imported direct from NZ. Am thinking a Pilsner.

Are there any more reports from others who have used it? Is it harsh when bittering at 60? If so what would be the maximum IBU at 60? Should I maybe try a hopburst style Pilsner from 20?

Keen to hear.

Cheers.

Duff, I can't answer your bittering question but I have made a pils with it. I bittered with NS and flavoured with riwaka and found it just a bit too fruity, especially for a Pils. I don't think I'd even put it in an APA on it's own. I didn't like the beer all that much. bconnery sent me a sample of his riwaka APA which had a hit of simco in it. It worked beautifully, the sharp citrus of the simco was a great counterpoint to the fruit-lolly riwaka. It's a nice hop but it needs a good partner. A single hop beer would be over the top for me.

Latest posts

Back