Riwaka (D Saaz)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohitsbrad

Reaction score
Pedigree
Bred from Old Line Saazer

Brewing Usage
Aroma

Aroma
Powerful grapefruit and citrus characteristics

Possible Substitutions

Typical Beer Styles
  • Belgian-style Ales

Additional Information

Bred as part of the "hops with a difference program" and released by Hort Research Riwaka Hop Research Centre in 1997

Alpha Acids
4.5 - 6.5%

Beta Acids
4.0 - 5.0%

Co-Humulone
~36%

Total Oil
~1.5 mL / 100g

Myrcene
~68% of total oil

Humulene
~9% of total oil

Caryophyllene
~4% of total oil

Farnesene
~1% of total oil

General Trade Perception
Typically employed like a traditional Saazer variety, but has developed its own punch and zeal as a late addition in new-world Pale Ale styles
MOD: Description inserted by Lord Raja Goomba I, to keep the descriptions consistently in the first post of these threads. Original Post Below:

Hooray for D Saaz, or Riwaka, being available from Craftbrewer. This from nzhops.co.nz:

"The Riwaka is a real standout during selection especially when �rubbing up� the freshly kilned cones for aroma scores. Its powerful grapefruit �citrus� characters are literally breathtaking. This variety is typically seen to have higher then average oil, almost double that of its Saazer parent."

4.5 - 6.5 AA% and the rest of the specs here.

Has anyone used this already? I'm sure Ross will let us know soon enough. Know of anyone commercial examples which use the hop?

Makes me want to brew a hopburst pale ale with a few varieties of whole NZ hop flowers.

Hooray for D Saaz, or Riwaka, being available from Craftbrewer. This from nzhops.co.nz:

"The Riwaka is a real standout during selection especially when rubbing up the freshly kilned cones for aroma scores. Its powerful grapefruit citrus characters are literally breathtaking. This variety is typically seen to have higher then average oil, almost double that of its Saazer parent."

Has anyone used this already? I'm sure Ross will let us know soon enough. Know of anyone commercial examples which use the hop?

Makes me want to brew a hopburst pale ale with a few varieties of whole NZ hop flowers.

I have a Pils fermenting ATM with it

Batz

I have 1kg arriving in about 10 days fresh from Appleby (NZHops).
Looking forward to using them over summer.

Doc

I made an all D Saaz pale ale a few months ago. Very strong hop flavour and aroma. Citrus of course, but more orange. A very enjoyable beer. Didn't last long. :chug:

Edit: Didn't know about its new name. What does Riwaka mean?

Will be brewing a Pilsner with it this summer..... interested to know what others think first

Proven recipes would be good.

How much is enough. Do we halve amounts of chuck it all in and enjoy :)

cheers

Google define:Riwaka gives "Riwaka is a small town in the north of New Zealand's South Island. It lies beside Tasman Bay, five kilometres north of Motueka, and close to the mouth of the Riwaka River."

I see also that Motueka is the new name for B Saaz.

"The Riwaka is a real standout during selection especially when rubbing up the freshly kilned cones for aroma scores. Its powerful grapefruit citrus characters are literally breathtaking. This variety is typically seen to have higher then average oil, almost double that of its Saazer parent."

Doing an LCBA clone with this at the moment - my third (thx Tony) first was Cascade, 2nd was B saaz. I added the dry hops today - will keg on Saturday. Ross's comments to me were that it was B Saaz on steroids - I dont know if anyone else gets this - but my "packet snort" showed almost kerosene smells - strong man.

SG Samples have tasted awesome. So looking good so far.

Will post in the "Whats in the Glass" thread on Saturday.

RM

Being neighbours of unzed are we able to get hold of fresh hop flowers.?
Would be great to brew with fresh flowers for a change.

Cheers
Big D

A year or two ago a WCB member managed to get some across and I know some of the micro's here use niuw zillund hups fluwers when theey cen get thum, theey ur choice bro

Stay tuned next year for a WCB Riwaka comp! it almost made it into this years Iron Brewer except it was deemed slightly too experimental to have a chance of combining then successfully with rauchmalz

Riwaka is where a lot of the hop research goes on for hops in NZ.
Riwaka, Mapua, Moutere and Motueka are where the majority of the hops for NZ are grown. The NZ Hop board is at Appleby. All these places are little country towns west of Nelson/Richmond.

Beers,
Doc

Edit: In case you guys are trying to pronouce it Riwaka, the locals say it as Ree-walk-a

I made a 100% D Saaz Pils last weekend, am looking forward to it and comparing with the 100% B Saaz I made recently (Yummo)

Both had the same grain bill and hopping schedules to get the true hop character out.

Cheers
Big D

This may answer your question Big D. Just ask Craftbrewer and your boiler can too look like this. :wub:

Pic is NZ Styrian Goldings.

Warren -

DSC01918.JPG

DSC01917.JPG

Tony asked:
How much is enough. Do we halve amounts of chuck it all in and enjoy :)

cheers

Anyone want to help Tony here cause I've got the same question. I'm doing a Pils this weekend with B Saaz. Craftbrewer order arrived this morning.

My thoughts so far are to make a bigger beer, and hop it up to around 40IBU. Here is the recipe. Any comments to help me remove the question marks below. Reckon I should mash slighly higher to give a higher FG if I go down this route?

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
83.3 5.00 kg. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
5.0 0.30 kg. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
11.7 0.70 kg. Flaked Rice 1.040 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Whole 8.50 26.0 60 min.
???? g. B Saaz Whole 7.00 ?? 40 min.
???? g. B Saaz Whole 7.00 ?? 20 min.

Yest S189

So people that have tried this, is it citrusy as in "cascade" type citrusy or something entirely different? Does it have that quintessential APA type flavour?

It's definitely an APA hop, T.D. Not so much like Cascade. I'd say it was more like Fanta than anything else. :blink:

And I liked it. :p

I wonder... D saaz in a chocolate porter = Jaffa?

Might be worth someone trying :)

And what other hops does or might it go well with? I am thinking of combining it with NZ Cascade in equal amounts and Nelson Sauvin in smaller amounts.

I don't see the flowers available on the craftbrewer site.

And what other hops does or might it go well with? I am thinking of combining it with NZ Cascade in equal amounts and Nelson Sauvin in smaller amounts.

I don't see the flowers available on the craftbrewer site.

I believe the D Saaz has only been available to homebrewers for a short time, previously it was all industry.

Flowers probably still are...

Next season might be different.

Latest posts

Back