Risk Of Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainbrewer

Reaction score
Yesterday i decided to put down a St Peters Brewery Amarillo Ale. I added about 3 litres of wort to the fermenter then added the yeast, while shaking the yeast packet it dropped into the wort, I pulled the empty packet out added the remainder of the 15 litres of wort and water.

It is brewing away nicely at the moment.

What is the risk of infection from the yeast pack dropping into the wort. I guess others have done this?

Also, how have others found the St Peters Brewery Liquid Worts? I have had good results with many of them.

Cheers

What is the risk of infection from the yeast pack dropping into the wort. I guess others have done this?

It all boils down to how clean the yeast pack itself was. And of course, how sanitised your hand/ spoon, etc. was that you used to pull the pack out. Having said that, you should be fine. Don't stress over it.

I always pitch from starters, but whenever working with yeast packets I either spray them with diluted iodophor solution or completely submerge the packet in my bucket of iodophor for a few seconds and let drip dry. I also drop the knife I'll be using (to open the packet) into iodophor and spray my clean hands with solution before handling any of the above.

The better you are with sanitation, the less likely you are to face infections, even in the case of a minor mistake like your dropping the packet into your wort.

reVox

What did you use to pull it out? I reckon you've got a higher chance of infection from your skin than from the foil sachet. Without having done that one myself I think you'll probably be OK. Can't answer Q #2, haven't used them.

Cheers,

microbe

I have found the St Peters Brewery fresh worts to be very good value and top quality, especially the Amarillo Ale which is a favourite of mine, however I do add some amarillo hops into the fermenter to dry hop for that added flavour.

You should be right with the brew if it has a vigorous ferment then the yeast will be outstripping the production of bad microbes and the alcohol production may help keep any infection under control.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back