Rise Of The Brewing Machines - Craft Beer Lovers, Don't Be Afraid&

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good man! I hope you post many articles and videos about your experiences with it.

I'll be following developments with the Brewie quite closely as it's peaked my interest.

I'm currently using a Robobrew and previously had a 50L Brau so not adverse to the more automated systems.

The Brewie seems to take the automation a couple of notches further and I do like the connectivity.

It will be interesting to see peoples opinions once it hits the market.

The thing that would concern me most about this device is the amount of air that the wort is exposed to and also the cleanliness of the final stage, where the cool wort leaves the system.

peteru said:
The thing that would concern me most about this device is the amount of air that the wort is exposed to and also the cleanliness of the final stage, where the cool wort leaves the system.
No different to any other system is it?
I think that's a non issue there IMO.

chrisluki said:
Hey guys

I have been justifying my decision to buy a Brewie in my head over and over, so I decided to write a post about it.

http://beerhealer.com/index.php/2016/09/12/dont-fear-the-semi-auto-brewing-machines/

Still haven't convinced my wife, but I will keep trying!

Cheers
Chris
Stop beating yourself up over it & get one, you know you want to.
We all know forgiveness is easier than permission so don't worry about the blouse, she'll get over it.
I think it's a great system & I'll be following this thread with interest.
Good luck.

Crusty said:
No different to any other system is it?
I think that's a non issue there IMO.
Admittedly I have only one or two marketing videos to base my opinion on and cleaning was not involved in those. I was just thinking that given the usage pattern is similar to a semi-automatic coffee machine, that thorough cleaning and sanitation may not be high up on the agenda. The cooled wort outlet didn't look like an easily removable part that would get a good clean after every use.

I think it's very, very important that Chris gets one as soon as possible and does a thorough review of it. He should tell his wife that the guys on the Internetz need made him do it.

Michael Burton said:
Good man! I hope you post many articles and videos about your experiences with it.
Are you taking the piss? :unsure:
I was actually thinking about doing a bit of that?

peteru said:
Hadn't thought about that?
Couldn't be any worse than my 3 keg manual system, right?

Crusty said:
Stop beating yourself up over it & get one, you know you want to.
We all know forgiveness is easier than permission so don't worry about the blouse, she'll get over it.
I think it's a great system & I'll be following this thread with interest.
Good luck.
Yeah I do. And I will.
Just chatting with the manufacturer on email.

peteru said:
Admittedly I have only one or two marketing videos to base my opinion on and cleaning was not involved in those. I was just thinking that given the usage pattern is similar to a semi-automatic coffee machine, that thorough cleaning and sanitation may not be high up on the agenda. The cooled wort outlet didn't look like an easily removable part that would get a good clean after every use.

I think it's very, very important that Chris gets one as soon as possible and does a thorough review of it. He should tell his wife that the guys on the Internetz need made him do it.
Its like you guys are the devil on my shoulder, like in the old donald duck cartoons!

chrisluki said:
Are you taking the piss? :unsure:
I was actually thinking about doing a bit of that?
No, not taking the piss. A few years back my wife and I tried pitching (unsuccessfully) an idea like Brewie to a startup accelerator. Since then we've had Picobrew, Brewie, Beerdroid, iGulu/Artbrew, Synek, Brewbot and more jumping into the automated brewing scene. It's becoming a very hot market segment and I still don't know if we missed the bus or dodged a bullet. Either way I'll be devouring any media you post with great interest so by all means, buy one, post videos, tax deduct it :ph34r: , and have fun playing with cool brew tech! :D

Crusty said:
Unless your wife is Spanish. In which case forgiveness is way, way harder than permission, and likely to involve removal of body parts that you might consider to be fairly essential to your continued wellbeing. Even then, it might be a risk worth taking.

I'm not afraid of them, they just aren't my thing. I enjoy being involved in the process all the way through far too much to leave it to an automated system like that. However, it suits others so not knocking it.

peteru said:
Hot wort is only exposed to air in the mash/brew kettle. Since it's a BIAB system as far as I can tell that should be minimal unless you disturb it in some vigorous way. Cold wort leaves the system on its way through a tap to the fermenter: aeration good, stray airborne microorganisms bad, like DIY.

Fermenter not part of the system, though I suspect some buyers will read the ad, shell out the $ and expect finished beer on tap with no further effort.

I see the power demand is 2000W. Not too high, but I heat with propane.

I'll stick with kettle, bag, hop spider and makeshift filter. Cleaning doesn't take long. When I get too old too for even that, I'll buy a Brewslave: http://www.simonlegree.com

But do keep us posted. Better, send beer.

Michael Burton said:
No, not taking the piss. A few years back my wife and I tried pitching (unsuccessfully) an idea like Brewie to a startup accelerator. Since then we've had Picobrew, Brewie, Beerdroid, iGulu/Artbrew, Synek, Brewbot and more jumping into the automated brewing scene. It's becoming a very hot market segment and I still don't know if we missed the bus or dodged a bullet. Either way I'll be devouring any media you post with great interest so by all means, buy one, post videos, tax deduct it :ph34r: , and have fun playing with cool brew tech! :D
Yeah, time will tell if it's a Nespresso, or a Tap King!

Im gonna get one, just sorting some stuff out with the supplier.

I personally know the guy who won Beer of Show at last weekend's VicBrew. Doesn't own a Brewie.

Just sayin'

Nobody has a brewie yet as they haven't started shipping them. Just sayin'.

Back