RIP Les Murray

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember him from France '98. And him saying "the 16th World Championship of Football".

It got me into watching a bit of football, when the only thing I knew was Rugby League.

Wasn't until I married SWMBO that I realised his name was Laszlo (my late FIL name).

As I just posted to the Grauniad, when I arrived in Australia in the 70s I thought "wheres the REAL football?". There were a few clubs with woggy names like Helvetica and Croatia and MyBeautifulSerbianOrGreekVillage but nothing like VFL (back then) or League.
Then came SBS and Les and nowadays you just can't get onto a train when Brisbane Roar chuck out after a match, and it's great to see all the kids on that train as well with their parents.

I'm a bit of a sports atheist but nevertheless it's inspiring to see that the Antipodean Colonies have finally adopted football as a mainstream sporting activity.
RIP Les.

Hear hear, Les will be sadly missed. Football wouldn't be anything like it is today without his unwavering commitment and drive. And I do mean "football".

Hear hear, Les will be sadly missed. Football wouldn't be anything like it is today without his unwavering commitment and drive. And I do mean "football".
As opposed to the gentlemen in my avatar who are hugging the ball and each other with no feet in the action whatsoever.

I liked Les.

Now we are left with Foz. Poor trade.

What don't you like about Foz? Don't like him anywhere near the level I enjoyed listening to Les, but much better than the people on Fox. Won't be too much football on SBS this season anyway.

Mostly his incessant negativity, combined with that nasal twang.

Don't watch fox so I can't compare.

Latest posts

Back