Rims Tube Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyoz

Reaction score
G'day

just wondering, has anyone made a RIMS tube using S/S pipe fittings using 1 1/2" or 2" fittings, seen one set up from a guy in the states using 2" pipe fittings, and the site he lists as his supplier, super cheap prices, the prices i'm getting from in Australia are ridiculous,

Tees, Nipples and reducing bushes

does anyone know of anywhere to source S/S pipe fittings for a reasonable price here, might just end up using a fowarding company to send me some

Give Geordi Stainless a try.

If what you're after isn't on their website give them a call.

Cheers

Mr W

Give Geordi Stainless a try.

If what you're after isn't on their website give them a call.

Cheers

Mr W

everything i want is on their, will probably be placing an order shortly,

thanks for the help!

G'day

just wondering, has anyone made a RIMS tube using S/S pipe fittings using 1 1/2" or 2" fittings, seen one set up from a guy in the states using 2" pipe fittings, and the site he lists as his supplier, super cheap prices, the prices i'm getting from in Australia are ridiculous,

Tees, Nipples and reducing bushes

does anyone know of anywhere to source S/S pipe fittings for a reasonable price here, might just end up using a fowarding company to send me some

check out raven's RIMS build here on ahb matty

i def like the look of raven's RIMS but i don't have the ability or contacts to make one of those, and not sure how much it would cost to get a fabricator to make one, so threaded S/S pipe fittings would be easy to put together and take apart for cleaning,

RIMS_UNIT.JPG

I built this with hole saws and a grinder and welder cut it out then find someone to weld it
its pretty rough but works

is copper bad for rims tubes ?

i got NFI but we use copper chillers, brass fittings but not copper rims ?

just asking... for info

I wouldn't hesitate a second to use copper for a rims - stainless is pretty much always a better choice for a variety of reasons... but that doesn't equate to copper being a bad choice. And copper is nice and easy to solder etc..

Thanks Yardy for the plug. If only Chappo had the time to weld one up for every brewer! :icon_cheers:

RK's Rims was fabricated at a reasonable rate from a supplier overseas iirc - RK's RIMS linky, this could be an option - and a lot easier to clean than my unit.

I still have some copper items in my brewery still, nothing to be afraid of there!

i was thinking of converting one of these into a rims but anouther project has my attention now

cheers matho

the update is i brought is, i brought RIMS Tube off brewershardware, bit cheaper and easier to clean

the update is i brought is, i brought RIMS Tube off brewershardware, bit cheaper and easier to clean

This is what I'm doing. Not as easy to clean but easy enough to get done.
I ordered from Geordi
2 x 1.5" stainless Tees
1 x 1.5">1" reducing bush ( element is 1" BSP thread )
3 x 1.5" BSP hex plugs
1 x 600mm ss316 pipe, 1.5" SCH 40
I have lined up a engineer to BSP thread both ends of the pipe, tap 2 x 1/2" BSP threads into the hex plugs for my camlocks, tap 1 x 1/4" BSP thread into one hex plug for the PID temp probe.

This is a good one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, newbie question, what does a RIMS thingy do? I'm a s/s welder/fabricator and I may be able help..

Ok, newbie question, what does a RIMS thingy do? I'm a s/s welder/fabricator and I may be able help..

The Rims is just one way of keeping your wort at a constant temperature when re-circulating from your mash tun.
The Rims tube has a low density element housed inside & the wort travels past this element & the temperature of the
wort is being monitored via a PID controller. Once you set your desired wort return temperature, the PID will power
the element on & off to keep the wort at your set temperature.

This is what I'm doing. Not as easy to clean but easy enough to get done.
I ordered from Geordi
2 x 1.5" stainless Tees
1 x 1.5">1" reducing bush ( element is 1" BSP thread )
3 x 1.5" BSP hex plugs
1 x 600mm ss316 pipe, 1.5" SCH 40
I have lined up a engineer to BSP thread both ends of the pipe, tap 2 x 1/2" BSP threads into the hex plugs for my camlocks, tap 1 x 1/4" BSP thread into one hex plug for the PID temp probe.

This is a good one too.

Update on this one. The 1.5" hex plugs are a bit thin to allow for tapping a decent thread so I re-ordered some stuff.
2 x 1.5" Tees
4 x 1.5">1" reducing bushes
2 x 1">1/2" reducing bushes
1 x 1">1/4" reducing bush

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back