Ridiculously Large Og

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviary

Reaction score
Hello all,

Yesterday I brewed an AG brown porter with two x 125gram additions of maple syrup (one at 15min boil, the other at 2min boil).

I left it to cool and took a sample to measure the gravity which was 1.070, way too large to be accurate (it would have meant 93% efficiency).

So what happened? I'm guessing that some of the maple remained unmixed following the boil and settled to the bottom.

Any other ideas?

David.

og is a measure of the amout of sugar in the liquid, did your initial; og calculations did you take into account the sugar from the maple syrup?

og is a measure of the amout of sugar in the liquid, did your initial; og calculations did you take into account the sugar from the maple syrup?

I went back and checked the program I used to put the recipe together and found that it had added the syrup to the calculations.

Is it possible that there is protein or hop residue left in suspension that is making the wort seem denser than it should be?

I drew the sample from the bottom of the fermenter.

Also, thanks for helping another Mobro out. I hope your mo is growing more enthusiastically than mine. After 6 days it looks like a number 2 buzz cut.

David.

Wort forms layers.
I'd say the heavier fractions of your wort had descended to the bottom.

im 26yo and from more than 2 feet away you wouldnt know i had one :p

Latest posts

Back