Rice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you would be much more interested in the Glucanase in the malt rather than the Proteases and Amylase. There will be plenty of available Amylase in the main mash when you combine the two.
If you want to liquefy the rice add the malt fraction at low temperature 35oC and heat slowly so you go through the peak activity range of all the enzymes that may do you any good.
I tried this once in a slow cooker (crock pot), crushed rice (through the mill at 0.1mm) and some malt (around 25% of rice, crushed) and it worked well, didn't glug up the main mash at all.
Tipped the "soup" into a jug and weighed it, knowing the mass of rice and malt the balance is water, just deduct that from the calculated sparge water amount.
Mark

manticle said:
You need base malt. There are no enzymes in dme for starch conversion.
Really?
I believe you can buy diastatic DME or LME that has active amylase. I first read about this in a Brirish brewing book.

I would suggest that Greppet try to source some and give it some time with the cooled (to low 60's °C) rice mash to act and degrade. Greppet seems to be much located closer to the source than we are, if the location is correct.

Fair call. It seems you can buy diastatic malt extracts and flours designed for baking. I'd never heard of it but worth pointing out the difference between diastatic and non diastatic.

The well known UK firm EDME stands for "Essex Diastatic Malt Extract" company and diastatic liquid malt extract is available in the UK. It is widely used in baking and confectionery to break down starches from flour in numerous recipes.

During WW2 there was actually an official brewery ship that used Diastatic Malt Extract and adjuncts to brew mild ale for mariners. Onya Churchill, wouldn't happen nowadays.

I don't think it makes it as far as Australia however. Sponsors and suppliers might be able to advise.

For Greppet, mate you might want to hop onto one of the UK forums - we have a sister forum there - as well as another two popular forums, and ask the question "is diastatic malt extract available in the UK", in which case you could no doubt find it in Sweden. Diastatic malt extract would have the enzymes to nuke your rice.

EDME got brought out by Wanda in the late 90's, I was talking to the owner before the sale about Traddie Malt, at the time it was the only truly red extract on the market. A quick Google - looks like they don't make it any more.

As for Diastatic extract (Liquid or Dry), have never seen one, although they were much discussed in the 80-90's even Graham Wheeler has withdrawn the notion that there were any available. I really think if you were wanting to use large amounts of rice your best options would be mini mashing, or one of the rice syrups (seen them at woolies) you might be able to boil the rice then use an enzyme (like dry enzyme) to saccharify the rice starch.
Mark

Try Bintani, I think the pharma industry use a dry version.

Wes

They do, try and buy some tho, you start getting the how many tons do you want on a 3 month lead time... type of questions.
Like I said much heard about but never seen.
Mark

The son of a friend is an apprentice baker with a major chain, I could ask him whether they use any.

Folks, I'd like to make a nice dry rice lager. Made one with 15% flaked maize earlier this year that turned out quite tasty.

Can I just throw this stuff straight into my mash or should I cook first? What's a good percentage (of total grist) to shoot for?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1489950736.760536.jpg

Flaked rice (barley, oats, wheat and maize) can all be added to the mash as is. The flaking process gelatinises the grain, achieving what boiling would otherwise do.
Up to 40% adjunct can be used, tho personally I wouldn't go that far, probably not over 20%, if any as it isn't a style of beer I like.
Mark

Has anyone tried that liquid rice syrup you can buy in the supermarket?
Does it come out the same as real rice in the mash, or is there a slight difference?

Has anyone tried that liquid malted barler syrup you can buy in the supermarket?
Does it come out the same as real rice in the mash, or is there a slight difference?

technobabble66 said:
Has anyone tried that liquid rice syrup you can buy in the supermarket?
I've used it a few times and can't taste the difference , even though it's made from brown rice.

For those who came in late, if you are anywhere near a Chinatown, this maltose rice syrup stuff is cheap as chips - generally only about $2 a pop and goes great in lagers.

maltose rice syrup.jpg

It's rice that has been zapped into maltose, the same sugar that's in your wort.

Saw that in an earlier post, which is part of the reason for asking.
Basically checking whether the quality is good or not.
If it's a bit compromised I'd rather use rice in the mash as it's not too hard. But if the quality is about as good as the real thing (sounds like that's what you're saying bribieG) then I might as well use it and save a tiny bit of hassle & space in the grist/MLT for other things, like more malt - Russian imperial rice lager, anyone?

I used to work in Chinatown in Brisbane and I went through heaps of rice maltose syrup in lighter beers, including American Wheats etc. It's very consistent and good quality IMHO. Might chase some up when I'm in BoganVegas next time.

Nope I was just a barman in a brothel.

As for the eating and drinking I'm too pissed to remember at the moment.

Latest posts

Back