Rice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmi9191

Reaction score
Been reading up on making my own flaked rice, anyone have experience with the process?

As an alternative, could the rice just be steamed and placed in the mash? Anyone done this?

I just cook my rice like I would when I eat it, then chuck it in with the rest of the mash. Just make sure to stir and break up the clumps of rice as they coagulate a lot. Alternatively after you have cooked the rice. spread it out on a long piece of baking paper and use a fork to separate the grains. Then chuck it in with your mash

When you cook the rice it soaks up alot of water and multiplies until it starts to convert can be thick using a smaller amount of malt to start in the mash can help to liqiufy . I put the rice through a coffee grinder first and it still clumps up after boiling.

I've done a few lagers with rice and they are always winners.

I normally cook up 1 kg of rice until it is really mushy and then add it to the mash like I would grain.
I've stored it over night before in the fridge and then accounted for this in my mash temp I've also waited for it to cool a bit and added it straight to the mash.

As hinted earlier, a good way to deal with the rice is to cook it to a mush in order to gelatinise the starches then, when it cools down to about 74 degrees, stir in half a kilo of your crushed base malt and start stirring. It will start off very thick then suddenly loosen up to a runny soup as the Alpha Amylase in the base malt zaps the starch and turns it into dextrins. This is similar to the cereal mash that American brewers do when making adjunct-heavy beers such as Budweiser.

Then you can tip the whole thing into your main mash to finish converting everything at your chosen mash temperature.
You can also do the same thing with Polenta, a fraction of the cost of flaked maize if you buy it from an Asian supermarket.

Remember to take the original rice cooking water out of your total allowance of water for the entire mash.

Indian groceries.

Flaked rice.

Pre-gelatinised.

Chuck it straight in your mash.

Minimal fluffing-around.

Job done!

Where stores? I haven't seen it in my usual Curry haunts but will look out for some when I'm next in Brisbane at Geeta or the Chinese joints.

ed: talking rice and Chinese I haven't actually used rice for a couple of years as I find the rice maltose syrup for under $2 a tub hits the same spot and has had all the hard work done as well.

maltose rice syrup.jpg

Bribie G said:
Where stores? I haven't seen it in my usual Curry haunts but will look out for some when I'm next in Brisbane at Geeta or the Chinese joints.

ed: talking rice and Chinese I haven't actually used rice for a couple of years as I find the rice maltose syrup for under $2 a tub hits the same spot and has had all the hard work done as well.

attachicon.gif
maltose rice syrup.jpg
Yeah, Bribie. I'm pretty sure that's the stuff that UK brewers use when referring to "maltose syrup" in their recipes.

Cheap Chinese stuff. Rice-based, but converted by mashing with enzymatic barley.

Who knows for sure???

The water used to cook rice has starch in it any idea of how much .

First time using my own rice rather than purchased.

Used the following Procedure:

1. use a 1:4 ratio of one cup of rice to four cups of water. (1kg of rice 4 litres of water)
2. Bring the water to a boil: Bring the water to boil
3. Add the rice: When the water has come to a boil, stir in the rice, and bring it back to a gentle simmer.
4. Cover and cook: Cover the pot and turn the heat down to low. Don't take off the lid while the rice is cooking — this lets the steam out and affects the cooking time. 20mins.

Ended up 0.01 over predicted OG. (1.050 vs 1.040)

Anyone else experienced this?

shmang said:
Microwave rice, super easy and works well
I may be wrong but don't they use a bit of oil on that stuff to keep the grains from sticking together? Would you want oil in your mash?

Bribie G said:
As hinted earlier, a good way to deal with the rice is to cook it to a mush in order to gelatinise the starches then, when it cools down to about 74 degrees, stir in half a kilo of your crushed base malt and start stirring. It will start off very thick then suddenly loosen up to a runny soup as the Alpha Amylase in the base malt zaps the starch and turns it into dextrins. This is similar to the cereal mash that American brewers do when making adjunct-heavy beers such as Budweiser.

Then you can tip the whole thing into your main mash to finish converting everything at your chosen mash temperature.
You can also do the same thing with Polenta, a fraction of the cost of flaked maize if you buy it from an Asian supermarket.

Remember to take the original rice cooking water out of your total allowance of water for the entire mash.
2.25 Kg of rice put through coffee grinder and added to 10 liters of boiling water and heated on hot plate when allowed to cool got thicker was taking forever to cool on hot day so had to add more water to cool .When 72 degrees celsius mixed in a coffee cup of finely ground malted grain .One coffee cup turned glue into liquid .What is in the pot after this is done and with so much rice does it need a protien rest.

I wouldn't think so, there's not much protein in rice anyway.. yeah that "turning instantly into soup" thing is quite impressive isn't it. I'm surprised you got away with just a coffee cup, but being an enzyme I guess a little goes a long way.
I did a rice lager a few weeks ago, just about to keg this afternoon as it happens.

How do you calculate the OG when using rice?
My last brew I used 2Kg of rice that was cooked using absorption method (about 3.5L of water), but in beersmith I could only find flaked rice. Is there a cooked rice in beersmith?
My Og ended up about .005 low and I had an extra 3L of wort (58L batch). I assume this was because beersmish assumes the rice to be dry.

I really have no idea, but I'm guessing the weight in dry rice should be the equivalent in flaked rice.
So if you do 2kg of rice that you then cook (however), cool and add to your mash, then enter 2kg flaked rice in your spreadsheet/beersmith.
Seems like that should be about right. Happy to be corrected.

Edit: you've also got to account for the extra liquid in the cooked rice. I'd have to guess, but maybe 2x the dry weight. Either way, weight the wet stuff and the difference to the dry weight is the amount of water you're also adding

timmi9191 said:
First time using my own rice rather than purchased.

Used the following Procedure:

1. use a 1:4 ratio of one cup of rice to four cups of water. (1kg of rice 4 litres of water)
2. Bring the water to a boil: Bring the water to boil
3. Add the rice: When the water has come to a boil, stir in the rice, and bring it back to a gentle simmer.
4. Cover and cook: Cover the pot and turn the heat down to low. Don't take off the lid while the rice is cooking — this lets the steam out and affects the cooking time. 20mins.

Ended up 0.01 over predicted OG. (1.050 vs 1.040)

Anyone else experienced this?
Did you just use the water and poured it into the fermenter?

I would like to use rice, and im using LME or Kits right now. So i dont mash and so on.

Thanks in advance.

None of the starches would have been turned into sugars, so no. You will need some form of mash to get the result your after.
Greppet said:
Did you just use the water and poured it into the fermenter?

I would like to use rice, and im using LME or Kits right now. So i dont mash and so on.

Thanks in advance.

Dae Tripper said:
None of the starches would have been turned into sugars, so no. You will need some form of mash to get the result your after.
Ok thanks for your help.

Can i use DME and boil it with the rice or do i need to go all grain to get the sugars?

Latest posts

Back