Rice In Mashes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
I was gonna put a brew down on sunday, but got sidetracked. I cooked 1kg of rice the night before for the brew, but havent done it yet. Is the rice gonna be ok for a mash?

The reason i ask is that SWMBO is a food safety officer and says that a bacteria will grow and the rice should not be eaten after 2 days.

But i'm not eating it, and i'm gonna boil it for a good hour (that itself should kill the nasties). Has anyone done something similair?

No, I havent, but I wouldnt worry about it.
It was in the fridge, yeah?
You didnt leave it out in the sun next to some rank meat?

for the sake of making good beer, dump the rice and fork out the extra 3 bucks for a kilo of freshly cooked rice. The other issue is bacteria that has started to 'flavour' the rice... Koji anyone?

its a no brainer for me.

I was gonna put a brew down on sunday, but got sidetracked. I cooked 1kg of rice the night before for the brew, but havent done it yet. Is the rice gonna be ok for a mash?

The reason i ask is that SWMBO is a food safety officer and says that a bacteria will grow and the rice should not be eaten after 2 days.

But i'm not eating it, and i'm gonna boil it for a good hour (that itself should kill the nasties). Has anyone done something similair?

Old chef's trick - taste and smell it. Off rice smells off (horrible) and I wouldn't put it in my mash or stomach. If it smells OK it probably is OK unless your palate is shot in which case eat some, freeze the rest and see how you are in 4 hours.

If it's been refrigerated it's probably fine but I can't tell you it is without having it in front of me.

Fourstar is probably right though - if you even have to ask, then put your mind at ease and boil some more. I would use it if it smelt OK but I also trust my own nose enough to know what off rice smells like.

Old chef's trick - taste and smell it. Off rice smells off (horrible) and I wouldn't put it in my mash or stomach. If it smells OK it probably is OK unless your palate is shot in which case eat some, freeze the rest and see how you are in 4 hours.

If it's been refrigerated it's probably fine but I can't tell you it is without having it in front of me.

Fourstar is probably right though - if you even have to ask, then put your mind at ease and boil some more. I would use it if it smelt OK but I also trust my own nose enough to know what off rice smells like.

Yeah thanks guys. this is the second time i have done this now, but i dumped the first lot (that stank!) seriously thinking about using it as i tasted it last night and it tasted well, like rice. will check it again tonight and use it if its still ok.

I get my rice from Aldi where it's around $1.50 a kilo so it's cheap enough.

Seeing as you haven't done the brew yet (off topic) have you ever tried a cereal mash?
I use that method all the time now, particularly for US and Australian lager type brews - it puts a heap of extra mouthfeel and body into the beer in my short experience with the method. All you need is a stockpot and a stirrer, and use about half a kilo of your base malt as a 'seed'. :icon_cheers:

Seeing as you haven't done the brew yet (off topic) have you ever tried a cereal mash?
I use that method all the time now, particularly for US and Australian lager type brews - it puts a heap of extra mouthfeel and body into the beer in my short experience with the method. All you need is a stockpot and a stirrer, and use about half a kilo of your base malt as a 'seed'. :icon_cheers:

:icon_cheers: Very interested bribie, when i knock off work :ph34r: i'll look up your thread and do some research. might even do one on friday.....

I've been cooking 4kg of rice in one batch and freezing it in 1kg lots.

I let it thaw and come up to room temperature. It's weighed "wet" (in with my grain) to get the correct strike temperature ... my brewing process isn't affected by the water it contains.

Makes a great batch of chicken fried rice too.

Nothing to do with brewing but next time you make a fried rice, try frying the dry, raw rice in hot oil for a few minutes before you steam/boil it.

Nothing to do with brewing but next time you make a fried rice, try frying the dry, raw rice in hot oil for a few minutes before you steam/boil it.

Like the start of a risotto? Get some grease in there? Hmmm, sounds interesting.

One thing many people fail with fried rice is to not use stuff that was cooked at least 6 hours previously - best if cooked and cooled overnight IMHO.

Back on topic ... My Asahi clone is Saikou!

Exactly the same principle - stops the rice from going gluggy. I'm surprised it's not more common given that some Italian cooking principles are allegedly influenced by those from China. Regardless - it works beautifully for all kinds of rice unless you like glug. Obviously wouldn't do it for rice in a mash.

I have done the cereal mash. I used 10% of my grain bill and then I boiled the rice like I would normally do an absorption method for cooking rice. Once it started boiling I turned it off and wrapped it up. Left it on the stove overnight as did this after arvo shift. So when I did my mash in the morning it was ready to go. I hit all of my gravities and also hit higher than normal efficiency. THat was my method and I was pretty happy with that. I am still only learning but thought I would chuck my 10cents worth, maybe it helps someone. Or someone helps me why this would not be a good idea.

:icon_offtopic: Yeah we do our Mexican rice by cooking it in oil, garlic and onion before adding water then add water and use the absorption method to cook off the water. normaly the ratio is two to one but we do it with the lid off at 3:1 Water :rice.
cheers
Chucka

I would be super careful when it comes to rice, on masterchef they said its one of the biggest causes of food poisoning,bacteria loves it.

I would be super careful when it comes to rice, on masterchef they said its one of the biggest causes of food poisoning,bacteria loves it.

who can question masterchef? they are masters afterall.
Cheers

Yup when brewing I always rachotte mine first with a coulette of grimbaud - done in an orissieur cooker first of course and then remouldaded with a crostique. Works fine.

Yup when brewing I always rachotte mine first with a coulette of grimbaud - done in an orissieur cooker first of course and then remouldaded with a crostique. Works fine.

:lol: :lol:

I've been cooking 4kg of rice in one batch and freezing it in 1kg lots.

Your method isnt really relevant to a thread that talks about 3 days.

The two worst smels I ave experienced were 1. 3 day old rice and 2. Old onion cores.

Thanks again for the feedback, I said i was going to brew last night but, i had found two of my (empty) cubes were filled with dirt (2YO boy <_< ). so now i will just dump the rice and get some more on the way home from work. Problem solved

Latest posts

Back