Rice Gulls...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon W

Beer Good
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, did a search and got lots of hits for Rice Hulls, but nothing answered my question.

I'm doing my first ever wheat today, 70% of grist so obviously I'm gonna need the rice gulls, but when do I use them?

The reason I ask, my mash tun is gonna be a bit short on space so I'm thinking of leaving the rice gulls out of the mash, then mix 'em in for the sparge. (I mash and sparge in seperate vessels.)

I can't see there being a problem..... but anyone done this before?, known problems?, something I'm forgetting??
Cheers.

Most people chuck em in at the beginning of the mash...

But if you have to transfer the mash to a seperate vessel to drain and sparge...then I don't really see why not add them then...

You need them in the vessel you're sparging from. Only problem I can see with adding them before sparging is a temperature issue; you may lose a few degrees depending on how much you add... which could lower your efficiency.

However, it's better than a stuck sparge :)

You need them in the vessel you're sparging from. Only problem I can see with adding them before sparging is a temperature issue; you may lose a few degrees depending on how much you add... which could lower your efficiency.

However, it's better than a stuck sparge :)

he could pre-soak them in boiling water...

Thanks, gonna go with original plan and mash without, then mix in and sparge.
Gonna abort todays brew, f^$&ing mill is playing up and I'm running out of time :(

Went ahead with the brew afterall, no end of drama's so ended the day with yeast pitched at midnight! :wacko:
Used 200g rice gulls mixed-in before sparge, she flowed smooth and clean, the only drama-free part of the day!

Latest posts

Back