• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Rhizomes Fs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
POR
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:goatus
6:
7:maheel
8:
9:

CASCADE
1: Good Dr.
2:Doog
3:pocket Beers
4:goatus
5:Bradsbrew
6:Groucho
7:Groucho
8:NickB

VIENNA GOLD
1:Bradsbrew
2: Verbyla
3: regulator
4:maheel
5:
6: Good Dr.
7:
8:Unrealeous
9:
10: *Reserve for Anofre until he has another pick*

POR
1:
2:
3:
4:kelbygreen
6:
8:
9:

CASCADE

VIENNA GOLD
5:
7:
9:

Re #10 I'll take it. Cheers 4 that Verbyla

I read the original post, not a single reply yet.
I want a Cascade and by the time I can get a post up its filled :angry:
*Goes out back & boots the dish*

never used vienna gold before just wondering what its characteristics are and what styles it is primarily used in.

Just got told that "it was the aussie hop that was prominent before POR took over with it's higher AA - and i *think* it resembles a noble hop"

Just got told that "it was the aussie hop that was prominent before POR took over with it's higher AA - and i *think* it resembles a noble hop"
again IIRC - i've not got around to actually using them yet and i'm trying to dig up where i read up about it ages ago...

Poor POR - the unwanted

I reckon most people already have POR, as they suit the climate better than most others :)

I feel sorry for the por so ill take one of them too :)

I figured they have fallen out of favour after that cutting article in Beer & Brewer issue 10 where they effectively called PoR a cheap bitter whore that killed independent hop growers and developers.

I figured they have fallen out of favour after that cutting article in Beer & Brewer issue 10 where they effectively called PoR a cheap bitter whore that killed independent hop growers and developers.

Fresh homegrown POR flowers smell nothing like that pulverised shite/dust we call hop pellets.

I spent a few too many hours in my hop garden inhaling the smells and POR, whilst not as pungent as chinook or POR, was definitely fruity and floral and packed the same punch aroma wise as Goldings IMHO.

DISCLAIMER - yet to use my POR in a beer but will be in the next week or 2. I'm going purely on the smell of the fresh cones.

Hey, i've PM'd people who are listed for rhizomes but not contacted me yet.

everyone else - still some POR and VIENNA GOLD left :D

Mike

POR
1:
2:
3:
6:
8:nevalicious
9:

CASCADE

VIENNA GOLD
5:
7:
9:

Put me down for POR. Cheers. PM sent

Fresh homegrown POR flowers smell nothing like that pulverised shite/dust we call hop pellets.

I spent a few too many hours in my hop garden inhaling the smells and POR, whilst not as pungent as chinook or POR, was definitely fruity and floral and packed the same punch aroma wise as Goldings IMHO.

DISCLAIMER - yet to use my POR in a beer but will be in the next week or 2. I'm going purely on the smell of the fresh cones.

That garden sound so nice, I cant wait till mine have grown up.

I was thinking about a similar issue of that in your disclaimer; that you never know what the hops will be like till you use it. So i was wondering if there was a better way of getting an idea of what the hops will do to a beer that is faster than trying to make the beer. Do you think it might be possible to make some sort of tea out of hops to get the general idea?

I was thinking about a similar issue of that in your disclaimer; that you never know what the hops will be like till you use it. So i was wondering if there was a better way of getting an idea of what the hops will do to a beer that is faster than trying to make the beer. Do you think it might be possible to make some sort of tea out of hops to get the general idea?

I know a guy that grows his own hops and was told that you can create a hop tea to get a bit of an idea of what it'll be like.

I personally would think that doing a small 5L batch would be better as you get a sample of the final product and can adjust hop additions if the IBU is not what you were aiming for.

Definitely. A hop tea added to some pale, lightly hopped beer (any megaswill will do) and you'll get an idea of the aroma.

I plan on belting out batches of single hop golden ales with chinook , cascade, POR, goldings and victoria. Will give me a good idea of what they each do.

Hey Doc, does that actually work... Tried it!?? Any recommended dosage/hop infusion times???

Tyler

Hey Doc, does that actually work... Tried it!?? Any recommended dosage/hop infusion times???

Tyler

I just tried it a few min ago and i nearly puked from one sip. I think i got the amount wrong and made i too hot and left it infuse too long. One small sip tasted like i had just eaten a full lawn mower load of clippings and the bitterness was just off the charts.

Atm I'm doing one with Hallertau hop pellets (its the only thing I have on hand). I'm using one quarter of a pellet. To about 100 ml of cold water and 300 ml of boiling.

*drum roll*

Well the smell is much more noticeable and i can can taste the hops but its completely overpowered by the weird Wagga Wagga water, or at least the pipes that lead to the university anyhow. (Its the same problem i have with some of the mild teas that I drink.) I'm gonna go steal some bottled water from a neighbour and try it again.

****edit

Yeah, much better now. You can taste the hops quite well though without any malt its quite strange. I would probably use this method if I was picking hop combinations for hop-centric beers like IPA's. I get the feeling that Mad Scientists idea would give you a better all round view of how the hops would go down. Now i think about it, if you were feeling rather hard core you could just make a small hop filter and put a glass of beer through it.

When I go to Sydney ill chuck on a hoppy english pale with lots goldings (maybe a touch of cascade and fuggles too) and then dry hop it in the fermenter with more goldings. Ill use this to compare against some goldings tea and then see if it comes out similar.

POR
1:
2:
3:
6:
8:nevalicious
9:

CASCADE

VIENNA GOLD
5:
7:
9:
10:Anofre

Instead of a hop tea try some ultra ULTRA late hopping. :icon_drunk:

latehopping.jpg

never used vienna gold before just wondering what its characteristics are and what styles it is primarily used in.

Sandy Ross of Hopco Pty Ltd has stated:

"Vienna Gold was a fancy name invented by Max Cleary from Australian Hop Marketers. A customer wanted to make his beer sound more fancy so they simply renamed the hop that was in it. That hop was Cluster."

Sandy Ross
Managing Director
Hopco Pty Ltd
www.hopco.com.au

Back