Reverse microwave chills beer in 45 seconds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the equivalent of a reverse microwave would be a cooling laser.

When she's chilling the wine bottle, it looks like their innovate new product is just an ice bath.

Yeah. Its an ice bath. With a gizmo that automatically jiggles the bottle about in it so it cools evenly. Whoop de do.

A reverse microwave would be contrary to the Second Law of Thermodynamics or maybe one of the other ones. I think.
A microwave jiggles water molecules (mainly) and as we know a jiggled molecule is a hot molecule.
Reverse microwave would somehow de-jiggle the molecules by sending out some sort of nullifying wave.

That's straight off the top of my head, so I'd imagine many more people would have dug more deeply into this concept. It's probably in a laboratory somewhere waiting for the correct price point for the device at Target stores.

As someone said, a reverse microwave is a cooling laser. This isn't one (except in the sense that its a small kitchen appliance that makes things cold instead of hot).

Its an ice bath. Plus some marketing.

Some of these heat transfer concepts are counter-intuitive.

A Kiwi once told me how he chills warms beers when down the beach:
  • Scrape out shallow trench in the sand
  • Place tinnies in trench
  • Pour petrol over sand
  • Light petrol
  • Woof!
  • When fire subsides dig out frosty cold cans.
Often wondered if the same concept could be applied to chilling hot wort.

I think your kiwi friend may be using just a little bit pf poetic licence. And a small portion of bullshit

Ducatiboy stu said:
I think your kiwi friend may be using just a little bit pf poetic licence. And a small portion of bullshit
Often wondered about that too!

But it might operate on the same principal as a Coolgardie safe, or an evaporative aircon, or your skin cooling when the sweat dries off on a hot day.

In the process of a substance changing state from liquid to gas (evaporation) it must absord heat from its surroundings.

In this case the petrol evaporates drawing heat out of the sand causing the beers to chill.

EDIT: Another example is carburettors icing up (particularly a risk in aircraft). The petrol entering the carby evaporates in the incoming airstream causing a drop in temp which in turn causes water in the airstream to solidify into ice. Ice can eventually build up and block the carby.

You would be better to let the petrol evaporate as it cools as it evaporates. Alcohol even more. If you set fire to the petrol then the radiant heat will negate the evaporative effect.

Top fuel dragsters dont run any cooling water because the nitro-methane rapidly cools the motor as it is inducted.

Feldon said:
Some of these heat transfer concepts are counter-intuitive.

A Kiwi once told me how he chills warms beers when down the beach:
Sounds like a perfectly fine way to cool down beer... if you're a New Zealander.

Looks like that cooling device has SFA to do with microwaves, laser,elvis etc. It has a lot to do with the Rankin Vortex formed when they spin the can/bottle. Basically the vortex mixes the liquid so as to stop the outer layer against the vessel from freezing and the center staying warm. Apart from that its just a really cold fridge.

Nothing like a bit a bullshit fron the marketing dept

the girl walking to and from whatever that was was my favourite part.

Ducatiboy stu said:
You would be better to let the petrol evaporate as it cools as it evaporates. Alcohol even more. If you set fire to the petrol then the radiant heat will negate the evaporative effect.
The rate of cooling is directly related to how quickly the petrol evaporates. No quicker way than to set it on fire (its the petrol vapour that burns, not the liquid petrol).

Radiant heat would not penetrate the sand to heat up the buried beer in the short time the petrol burns.

Tim the tool man Taylor invented the macrowave. That could cook a potato in 10 seconds.

Feldon said:
The rate of cooling is directly related to how quickly the petrol evaporates. No quicker way than to set it on fire (its the petrol vapour that burns, not the liquid petrol)

Radiant heat would not penetrate the sand to heat up the buried beer in the short time the petrol burns.
All well and good in theory.......but it doesnt work practically

Would,nt mind a slice of the reverse microwave technology revenue,hmm interesting choice of beer for the vid. .cheers..spog...

If u can get to a servo to buy petrol to soak the sand in to light, I'm sure the same servo sells ice..

Cool my beer with petrol and a flame or ice? I know which option I'm taking...

And if I have no petrol and no ice.. There's this really modern invention called electricity - it's known to run refrigerators well, refrigerators cool beer if u haven't heard...

Latest posts

Back