Reusing yeast! Wyeast 1272

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvbrewin

Reaction score
I have a beer that is full of diacetyl and I'm 98% sure it was caused by my poor wort chilling methods + high pitch temp and not from infection. The yeast is wyeast American 2 1272. I'm wondering if I can wash the yeast and reuse it or would I be better off just getting a new smack pack and starting again?

RDWHAHB!

What was the beer? How did it ferment and what temp did you pitch the yeast? Did you make a starter?

It's a pale ale. Tried to ferment at 19c but the pitch temp way way too high at like 28c and it took a while to come doen in temp . Hence the diacetyl..

RDWHAHB!

Personally, I ditch the yeast...but I'm not talking from experience.

Why would you use a yeast that didnt perform to expectation?

Personally, nope, I wouldnt take the chance and ditch it and go again with a fresh pack and eliminate some of the variables next time with regards to process.

:icon_cheers:

Sweet fellas that's all I needed! A good second opinion thanks for the replies gunna dump the batch as well as the yeast.. Start again fresh with my new wort chiller..

Cheers
Brendan

RDWHAHB!

How long has it been in the fermenter, as if it's still in primary with the yeast cake then just rouse it up gently to get the yeast back into the beer and see if they reduce the diacetyl at all... can't hurt at this point. Use a new yeast though when/if you start over again

I wouldn't waste the time reusing it then. Just get some fresh and do it properly next time so you can use it again.

+1 for not re using, but I wouldn't ditch it.

There are many ways to reduce the diacetyl.. Simplest that comes to mind - if you are bottling, allow secondary to occur around 18 for a couple of weeks.

How long has it been in the fermenter, as if it's still in primary with the yeast cake then just rouse it up gently to get the yeast back into the beer and see if they reduce the diacetyl at all... can't hurt at this point. Use a new yeast though when/if you start over again

I will give it a razz up and see how it goes before I go dumping it! Can't hurt as you said.

RDWHAHB!

Yeh ahh well it's all a part of the journey to perfection! Even though I've got a long road ahead lol

Quick fermentations will often produce D.
I like a touch of D in some UK darker red ales, and find the best way to get that yummy butterscotch is to run through Wyeast 1768 special edition as quickly as possible.

Like another poster said, long secondary to let it clean up.

First time it happened I wasn't sure what diacetyl was like, thought it was an infection, so I took it to a BABBs meeting. On opening the bottle someone from about three tables away piped up "who opened the diacetyl beer" :lol:

I'm confused by the idea of diacetyl coming from poor chilling methods etc.

Can you elaborate? If there is residual diacetyl in the beer not caused by infection, you can remove it, yeast should be fine to re-use. What are you tasting as diacetyl?

I'm confused by the idea of diacetyl coming from poor chilling methods etc.

Can you elaborate? If there is residual diacetyl in the beer not caused by infection, you can remove it, yeast should be fine to re-use. What are you tasting as diacetyl?

As I was saying in my post it was yeast pitched at hight temp due to my poor wort chilling..
Yeast will produce diacetyl when working in the higher temp ranges.

Luvbrewin said:
I will give it a razz up and see how it goes before I go dumping it! Can't hurt as you said.

RDWHAHB!

Luvbrewin said:
No good smells and tastes like absolute shit!!! I'm dumping it!

RDWHAHB!
So you rouse the yeast and the next day you say it's crap and you're dumping it? You didn't give the buggers a chance to do much in that amount of time. And of course it will taste bad if it's there's heaps of yeast in suspension. Give the yeast a chance to take up some compounds and then settle again before deciding.

So was it still just full of diacetyl or was there other off flavours too? I'm just curious to know how bad a batch has to be before people throw it out. I've drank more than a few batches with quite obvious flaws, but never was a batch bad enough to actually tip it out. I just wouldn't give it to my friends :p .

Back