Replacing Vista With Xp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for laughs;

Yeah, but you could also post the comic where a person just was lost forever finding different programs so he can run things on linux.

The reason I use Windows is that I can turn it on, and (assuming it's been installed on a computer with the specs to run it) it will run what I want. That's it. I can't be bothered screwing around trying to work out compatibility with whatever of the thousands of versions of linux that exist. Earlier in this thread it was pointed out that beersmith works if you install something called wine- why would I bother, when I can just install it on windows and it will work fine, no pissing around?

I always acknowledge that Windows has many, many flaws. But the reason why it has been successful is that you can turn your computer on and your files will open. It's that convenience that works for me. Customisation is great, but not if you have to **** around for a few hours so that you can install something.

Yeah, but you could also post the comic where a person just was lost forever finding different programs so he can run things on linux.

The reason I use Windows is that I can turn it on, and (assuming it's been installed on a computer with the specs to run it) it will run what I want. That's it. I can't be bothered screwing around trying to work out compatibility with whatever of the thousands of versions of linux that exist. Earlier in this thread it was pointed out that beersmith works if you install something called wine- why would I bother, when I can just install it on windows and it will work fine, no pissing around?

I always acknowledge that Windows has many, many flaws. But the reason why it has been successful is that you can turn your computer on and your files will open. It's that convenience that works for me. Customisation is great, but not if you have to **** around for a few hours so that you can install something.
No pissing around. "sudo apt-get install wine", enter your root password and it does it for you. Then you just install beersmith as you would on Windows. apt-get takes all the guessing out of compatibility issues. There's even a GUI version, so you don't have to use a terminal if you don't want to. You can even browse through it and find all sorts of great programs that install at the click of a button.

No pissing around. "sudo apt-get install wine", enter your root password and it does it for you. Then you just install beersmith as you would on Windows. apt-get takes all the guessing out of compatibility issues. There's even a GUI version, so you don't have to use a terminal if you don't want to. You can even browse through it and find all sorts of great programs that install at the click of a button.

Still does sound like a lot of reinventing the wheel if windows does what you want it to already.

If windows doesnt do what you want, fine, otherwise...

Yeah, but take a random program, and you have to take time out to find out what you also need to install to get it to work. That's too much ******* effort, it's an operating system you need to install stuff on to operate the programs you want!

Some people might say the same thing about making your own beer.

If windows doesnt do what you want, fine, otherwise...
I totally agree, which is why my last laptop had only XP installed for over 2 years.

Yeah, but take a random program, and you have to take time out to find out what you also need to install to get it to work. That's too much ******* effort, it's an operating system you need to install stuff on to operate the programs you want!
apt-get handles all those dependencies itself. It's leaps and bounds ahead of the old methods of trying to install an rpm and finding 2 other rpms are needed, which need 3 others etc. apt-get just knows what is required and downloads and installs everything you need. Other current distros have similar programs.

I'm not even sure what you just wrote was english.
:lol: let's just say that if a program you want depends on another program, which you don't have installed, apt-get (the program) will know this and install everything you need to get the program you want to work.

I guess the biggest PITA for me aside from having to jump though "vista windows needs permission to do this" and "are you sure you want to do that" hoops is the fact that both Vista AND XP are forever bloody updating themselves. For goodness sake, WTF is this happening? XP has been out for yonks, if it ain't right yet MS should give up. I guess the answer to it is disable automatic updating. I find it totally rude that somehow MS has my laptop set up in a way that I can stick my XP disk in and downgrade. I think you may even have trouble trying to install Ubuntu on it Ben.

cheers

Browndog

Yeah, but I wouldn't describe installing programs as a hobby.

I think tooling around with Linux could in many cases easily be considered a hobby (though probably not by those who do it).

I guess the biggest PITA for me aside from having to jump though "vista windows needs permission to do this" and "are you sure you want to do that" hoops is the fact that both Vista AND XP are forever bloody updating themselves. For goodness sake, WTF is this happening? XP has been out for yonks, if it ain't right yet MS should give up. I guess the answer to it is disable automatic updating. I find it totally rude that somehow MS has my laptop set up in a way that I can stick my XP disk in and downgrade. I think you may even have trouble trying to install Ubuntu on it Ben.

cheers

Browndog

I'm pretty sure you can turn those 'are you sure' windows off. And besides, if automatic updates didn't exist, people will complain about Microsoft not updating to fix program holes

I don't think I'm aware of that one - are you perhaps thinking of the one where someone got hooked on customisation?

In all fairness, my machine 'just works' every time I switch it on. In fact, it works sooner, faster, and better. The complaints over 'I have to install wine' aren't any worse than the many times I've had someone say "Windows sux, I can't install [blah]" to which I have to tell them "You need SP2 to run that"... "Oh, cool! I'll just install that - so much easier than linux".

ACTUALLY... if I'm going to go nitpicking, I'll point out that the fact that BeerSmith doesn't natively run on linux is far from linux's fault - it was written for windows. Linux has gone the extra mile to allow programs not written to be run on their software to do just that, and that's not trivial considering the way the two different OSs work under the hood. If you want to gripe that BeerSmith doesn't run on linux... talk to BeerSmith.

An analogy (can you tell it's Friday?):

I have a custom built, unbadged car. You have a stock-standard ferrari with a 400kg gorilla in the passenger seat.

Mine was free. Mine goes faster despite having the same drive-shaft as yours - possibly because it's not weighted down by a gorilla. Possibly because it's been highly tuned every 3 months for the last 10 years, getting rid of parts that don't work and improving the parts that do. Mine can swap out the interior easily for free, I get a manual for every component, and I can even take a genuine ferarri steering wheel and drive with it. If I drive it into a wall at high speed, I may need to readjust the seats with a spanner, but someone will tell me which way to turn it. The back seat is roomier, mainly because it's empty when I buy it. People complain a lot about it because it doesn't say "ferarri" on the front, and the old models had a hand-starter. My model can be driven out of the showroom. If in three years, I want to upgrade to the new model, I can do it for free from the dashboard.

Yours looks nice from the outside, but most of the inside looks the same as mine, plus you get attacked by a gorilla every time you get in. Yours is prone to driving itself into walls at random, and occasionally unlocks the doors at night. You can only really use genuine ferarri parts, which cost a lot and only come in one size. For some reason, every time you start the engine you need to wait for it to attach the snow-chains to the tires, even in summer. If the snow-chains are broken, be prepared to wait a long time. The back seat starts out pretty neat, but for some reason the car keeps a logbook of everywhere you've driven, everything you've seen while there, and crumbs from every bag of chips you've eaten in the car, and piles these up at random on the back seat until there's no room for your stuff. In three years, you will have to upgrade to the new model. The new steering wheels won't fit the old models, and the metallic paint on the new models won't stick to the old models. While you're at it, you'll need a new muffler, drive-shaft, rear-view mirror, seat-belt clasp, and left indicator light - they are required, and they cost. The gorilla may be replaced, but only with one of a slightly different colour, and with a worse disposition towards you entering your car. You'll complain about the new permanent driver's seat position, but you'll be glad you didn't have to use that damn spanner.

Pity you have to get the wheels changed on your car if you need to drive on a different road ;)

Tony I can bring a special disc next BABBs meeting if you like...

...if all you do is turn your computer on and use newish software (i.e. designed to run with Vista) then it is not all that bad. And it isn't. If you don't touch anything under the hood and don't do much more than surf the web, download and run a couple apps (most users) then it is completely usable and very stable.

Easiest way to keep a Vista machine stable is to leave void of energy. Ubuntu 9.04 is awesome. Add the Ubuntu Tweak utility & the ubuntu studio packages and you've got a well rounded versatile, powerful and stable machine... can do lots with not much PC horsepower.

Try ubuntu by booting your Vista machine with a Ubuntu 9.04 install CD... and enjoy the rich flavour of an OS designed with the care and attention (love and affection) we similarly use to make our beloved craft beer!

Vista is as attractive as warm champagne on a hot day compared to the chilled goodness of Ubuntu.

1) there seems to be no linux drivers for any flavour of linux that support my sound hardware in my laptop=linux is out.

2) tofu is awesome, and i eat bacon shaped/textured/flavour tofu yes.

3) If you replace vista with xp, be aware that xp doesn't come with sata drivers, so if you use sata you will need to install sata drivers or vista will think you have no hard drive.

4) windows 7 isn't available publically anymore. I stand corrected (see below)

4) windows 7 isn't available publically anymore.

Yes it is, the Release Candidate was made available Tuesday 5pm Pacific Time. Will be available for a month or more from memory. It is the Beta that is no longer available.

John

Yes it is, the Release Candidate was made available Tuesday 5pm Pacific Time. Will be available for a month or more from memory. It is the Beta that is no longer available.

John

Cool, I want haha. Cheers for the headsup.

re number 1, its annoying that if I search my laptop in ubuntu forums for instance, it is claimed that it works flawlessly, except sometimes with easly fixed audio hardware issues. 2 months of stuffing around reconfiguring this and that and installing crazy drivers and I never got it to work. Maybe I'm just linux-tarded, I like to think of myself as quite computer literate though.

I have two computers, my wireless network hardware has no drivers is the problem with that computer...

If I had a computer which had hardware which could all work in some flavour of linux simultaneously, I'd do it for sure...until that day...

Back