Replacing Vista With Xp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
Hi All,
Going back a few years, I was really comfortable with win98, then due to buying a new desktop PC ended up with XP, which I grudgingly got used to, nowhere near the same control over it though. I bought a laptop a while back with Vista on it and it gave me the shits from the start but I thought "its just a learning process it will be OK down the track a bit" Well, that down the track a bit is a long time ago and it's got to the stage that this OS is driving me crazy, if anyone can tell me it is a better OS than XP, then I'll projectile vomit on them. I won't go into the details because I could write a book about how *&^%$$ Vista is. I've looked at my XP disk trying to find out the license limitations and found nothing and emailed Microcrap and got no reply so my question is, can I legaly put XP on my laptop with my desktop PC disk and not get some bullshit rejection from Microcrap when I go to validate the installation when I log onto the internet?

cheers

Browndog

I understand there's recently been a public release of an unfinished version of the next Windows (Windows 7). Apparently it's already performing better than Vista and is designed to integrate better with older software.

To answer your question, Microsoft want you to buy a copy of windows for each PC.. so you aren't supposed to be able to legally install it on two computers. *cough* *cough* Ahem.

The 1st thing my IT guy did was reinstall XP on my new computer. He hates vista & i took his recommendation to remove it. Looks like I made a wise move, hey Tony.

cheers Ross

As long as you don't wanna play with the nuts and bolts of Windows and you're using new software (i.e. most new PC buyers) Vista presents no problem really.

But, yeah, I'd be waiting for the soon to be released 7 rather then going back to XP.

Hop off that Microsoft pain train and install Linux. There is very little that you can't do and Beersmith runs fine in Linux through Wine. Let me know if you want some help. If you want you can bring the laptop over to my place and we can install it for you.

I am not sure what the key validation is, but from memory (and there will be people able to verify/disprove this) I think that there is a registration that occurs that locks your software key to your CPU serial number in XP. So if you install it on a new machine, there is validation issues. There is a way around it, but I dunno what it is!

You might want to try some of the torrent forums, someone no doubt has a crack for it! I think its called WPA_Kill1.exe, be aware though that Microsoft have asked antivirus software companies flag this as a virus, but its not, it removes the need to validate after 30 days or something!! Do you research though.

Here is some interesting reading.

John

I learnt the other day that XP actually comes with one license but you actually get to use it twice.

i.e - if you intall XP on your PC and your PC dies and you have to replace the mother board or cpu or whatever microsoft gives you another chance to install xp and register it no worries. After the second time tho you will have registration issues. so the answer is yes you can intall xp if its only the second time, after that your screwed. same with vista and im assuming it will be the same with windows 7.

Also beware: Many malware developers disguise their programs as "cracks", or build it into the crack.

I bought a laptop a while back with Vista on it and it gave me the shits from the start but I thought "its just a learning process it will be OK down the track a bit" Well, that down the track a bit is a long time ago and it's got to the stage that this OS is driving me crazy,

What is it that's driving you crazy? Is it the look and feel, or do you need to go deeper into the OS? If it's just the look and feel, then it's pretty easy to make it look a lot more like XP or even earlier versions. I always hated the XP look-and-feel, so all my machines look like good old Win2k.

What is it that's driving you crazy? Is it the look and feel, or do you need to go deeper into the OS? If it's just the look and feel, then it's pretty easy to make it look a lot more like XP or even earlier versions. I always hated the XP look-and-feel, so all my machines look like good old Win2k.

Is this running the win2k skin that comes with vista, or something else? Im running the win2k skin, but the start menu still gives me the shits. Can you change it to win2k/XP style?

Ubuntu. 9.04. Get it while its hot.

I took one look at Vista and promptly removed all traces of MS software from all the machines in my house...

Thanks for all the replies guys, the reason I hate Vista is it is slow, not user friendly and is always downloading updates then takes forever to install them. Fents, I might take your advice and give XP a go, then if I have issues it's over to Bonj's place to install linux.

cheers

Browndog

Thanks for all the replies guys, the reason I hate Vista is it is slow, not user friendly and is always downloading updates then takes forever to install them. Fents, I might take your advice and give XP a go, then if I have issues it's over to Bonj's place to install linux.

cheers

Browndog

Maybe you just got a computer with an OS that it doesn't have the specs to run properly? It happens all the time, I remember when 98 came out there were a bunch of sluggish computers forced to run it.

A little off topic, a little on, anyone know how to hack my trial version of Office?

Maybe you just got a computer with an OS that it doesn't have the specs to run properly? It happens all the time, I remember when 98 came out there were a bunch of sluggish computers forced to run it.

+1

I'm not a huge fan of Vista but this new lappy with it is easily the fastest computer I've ever used (even allowing for advancements in technology).

Now it has to be said that since it is Windows it'll probably also be the slowest computer I've ever used in 6 months time.

+1

I'm not a huge fan of Vista but this new lappy with it is easily the fastest computer I've ever used (even allowing for advancements in technology).

Now it has to be said that since it is Windows it'll probably also be the slowest computer I've ever used in 6 months time.

A couple days ago I got a new lappie, and with 4GB of RAM it runs Vista like a dream. I've heard that you need at least a gig of RAM to run Vista right, which is absolutely astounding.

If you've got the 32bit version windows'll limit your RAM back to 3Gb, dunno what the reasoning behind that is but apparently that is the case.

I'm in that situation and looked into it and found it's not too hard to upgrade to the 64bit version but the system never, ever lags and I couldn't be arsed setting up again so I left it as is.

Hey Tony, is the Vista you have a business version? You can roll these back to XP no problems.

If the copy of XP you have is no longer 'in use' on another machine, you can install it on the lappy provided it's not an OEM copy (I think). If you want XP that bad and to be legit you'll be able to obtain the pro version for $200, OEM.

I agree with Bonj

Just go straight Ubuntu Linux and you wont look back... :beerbang:

You can even get it to look and feel like XP and has some awsome programs available

I have had it on my work laptop for 12mnths and it has been sweet, and If I ever need to run a specific windows App, I have XP set up in Virtualbox

If you need a copy of XP that XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX then PM me and I will send it to you :ph34r:

No.... <_<

I would class Xp as the Tofu, and linux as the real thing B)

Back