Replacing Tap On Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilinggilroy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Wish to replace the tap on my Birko urn to be able to use 1/2"I.D. silicon hose (preferable) to transfer the hot wort.
I BIAB.
The shank on the original tap is 13/16"-20.5mm O.D.
Would like to know what other brewers have done in this situation that doesn't cost a fortune, as I see that some of the stainless steel
gear available can cost big bucks. :eek:
All advice appreciated.
TIA.
Cheers,

I replaced mine with a 1/2" ball valve. I used 15mm brass all thread (about $10 from Bunnings I think), 2 silicon washers and a half nut. All available from Craftbrewer. I put a 3/8" barbed elbow on the end of the valve and use 3/8" silicon hose.

No leaks after 12 brews, and much safer than trying to squeeze the hose over the Birko valve.

All up should cost about $40 if you use a brass valve. More if you use stainless.

Thanks for the reply Tavas.

Is there any problems using brass at this stage of brewing????
Can somewhat recall something about not using brass at some stage of brewing,
or am I confuzzed again?
Cheers

Brass is OK. It can contain traces of lead but you can 'pickle' it to ensure there isn't any. You also need to be mindful of cleaning agents with Brass.

Biggest problem is unscrewing the present tap without bending the thin wall of the urn. They probably put it on with a rattle gun, I'd be looking at a very good fitting spanner and a length of pipe, on BOTH sides of the tap, and an assistant. If I ever did it, I'd seriously take it to a mechanic or plumber or even a SS guy and pay an hour for the job.

Biggest problem is unscrewing the present tap without bending the thin wall of the urn. They probably put it on with a rattle gun, I'd be looking at a very good fitting spanner and a length of pipe, on BOTH sides of the tap, and an assistant. If I ever did it, I'd seriously take it to a mechanic or plumber or even a SS guy and pay an hour for the job.

I just used two big shifters, came off easily. So long as you take the force equally on each shifter you shouldn't be putting any strain the urn wall..

I just used two big shifters, came off easily. So long as you take the force equally on each shifter you shouldn't be putting any strain the urn wall..

+1 to this mine was easy to get off using two big shifters, definetly a job you can manage to do yourself at home

+1. The tap on my Crown came off easily. Same as others, I use some threaded pipe, couple of rubber o-rings, washer, nut and a 3-piece ball valve with a barbed tailpiece.

Back