Replacing Coopers Fermenter O Ring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defacto

Reaction score
sorry for the newbie question. the o ring in the lid of my coopers fermenter is starting to crack (its more than 4 years old). can you replace just the o ring or do i need to buy a new lid?

sorry for the newbie question. the o ring in the lid of my coopers fermenter is starting to crack (its more than 4 years old). can you replace just the o ring or do i need to buy a new lid?

Just the O ring, some of the other members might have a better idea where to go in your area?

Worst case just gladwrap the lid :super:

Homebrew stores sell them. Pry it out and take it in as there are manny sizes. Many of us don't use the lid and put cling wrap over the top and hold this with the old o-ring or rubber band. You can clearly see your brew and guage were it is at in the fermentation cylce.

Cheers

Hirns

brewcraft sell replacement seals. Save yourself a couple of bucks, and become a "LEET" brewer, and go for the gladwrap lid.That's thet only way you'll own brewing noobs. DEATH TO BREWNOOBS!

brewcraft sell replacement seals. Save yourself a couple of bucks, and become a "LEET" brewer, and go for the gladwrap lid.That's thet only way you'll own brewing noobs. DEATH TO BREWNOOBS!
This.

Let go of the "BLOOP". you dont need it. Learn to feel the ferment, dont lament the lack of ferment, it will be present, but not often evident. It's nature baby!

Let go of the "BLOOP". you dont need it. Learn to feel the ferment, dont lament the lack of ferment, it will be present, but not often evident. It's nature baby!

+1 Yeah man, glad wrap is the only way to go i reckon. Until you try it, you don't know how cool it is to be able to "see" your wort fermenting. It's hugely interesting to see the different changes in your wort and to get a "feel" for how it's going. If we run out of gladwrap, it frustrates me when i have to use the lid, as i've grown accustomed to being able to have a look. the "lid" gets so much condensation build up that gladwrap doesn't seem to have a problem with..

Hmmm, interesting. I guess this means I can drill a hole and then get a seal for it. I like the glug - guess that makes me a noob :p

+1 for glad wrap.

Don't have to worry about a stupid airlock, and less cleaning to do in regards to the lid.

27 brews in and I'm still addicted to bloop. (Is 27 still in newb territory? No can't be).

I'll do whatever it takes to get an airtight seal just because I find the sound so comforting, like the heartbeat of a mother to a newborn.

We put 4 brews on yesterday simultaneously, and I can't wait to hear the galloping 'bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop' today or tomorrow :)

Glad wrap is cool too though.

27 brews in and I'm still addicted to bloop. (Is 27 still in newb territory? No can't be).

I'll do whatever it takes to get an airtight seal just because I find the sound so comforting, like the heartbeat of a mother to a newborn.

We put 4 brews on yesterday simultaneously, and I can't wait to hear the galloping 'bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop' today or tomorrow :)

Glad wrap is cool too though.

Sounds like you are having quadruplets then! ;)

Just on an a related note, KMart also sell the replacement o-ring seals. Probably will be cheaper than the brew store too.

cheers guys!!!! helped alot. I think i will buy a replacement o ring for now as I generally move the fermenter around a little.

I use the lid as per normal but am gonna just go with the glad wrap from now on - I'm sick of trying to wrestle the fermenter lid loose after each batch.

+1 Yeah man, glad wrap is the only way to go i reckon. Until you try it, you don't know how cool it is to be able to "see" your wort fermenting. It's hugely interesting to see the different changes in your wort and to get a "feel" for how it's going. If we run out of gladwrap, it frustrates me when i have to use the lid, as i've grown accustomed to being able to have a look. the "lid" gets so much condensation build up that gladwrap doesn't seem to have a problem with..

After reading this thread I've used gladwrap instead of the lid on this week's brew. It's great being able to see everything going on!

One question - no need to puncture a hole in the gladwrap, it'll leak through the incomplete seal right?

I've never worried about a hole but I use a lid & airlock wherever possible so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment.

Latest posts

Back