Removing Keg Stem?help.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
I'm having trouble removing the stem from a 50lt keg. I've released gas and undone the large nut up passed the end of the male thread so all is loose, but I can't with draw the stem. There seems to be a nib at some point around the outside of the male section further down. Can't get it to locate into a key way if that's what is supposed to happen.
Advice please anyone.
Thanks.
Daz

From your description I assume it is a Tooheys type keg with a flat top. i think that these are called A type.

I have heard of brewers putting a large pair of stillsens (spelling??) on the top of the spear, and having a water pipe extension. Then one person holds the keg, and the other turns the spear. This will break off the lug inside that is holding the sprear in. Once the lug is broke off, you can screw the spear out and back in again without hassle.

The other way to do it is a bit fiddly. You put a pair of plyer on the centre SS piece of the sprear and grip it. Then push down and twist and the centre piece of the spear will disengage and you can take out the outer shell of the spear by twisting it, and the inner part will fall out if you invert the keg.

Can't remember which way to turn the inner spear piece though.

When you get the inner part out, you will see the lug (after you put the inner part back into the outer part, and you cut or file off the lug and you are ok.

Cheers

I'm having trouble removing the stem from a 50lt keg. I've released gas and undone the large nut up passed the end of the male thread so all is loose, but I can't with draw the stem. There seems to be a nib at some point around the outside of the male section further down. Can't get it to locate into a key way if that's what is supposed to happen.
Advice please anyone.
Thanks.
Daz

The other way to do it is a bit fiddly. You put a pair of plyer on the centre SS piece of the sprear and grip it. Then push down and twist and the centre piece of the spear will disengage and you can take out the outer shell of the spear by twisting it, and the inner part will fall out if you invert the keg.

I was going to try this but thought the stem would bottom out on base of the keg. I'll give it a go.
I have cut the entire top off a keg before so yes the stem tube is spring loaded and needs a quarter turn or so but can't remember if it needs a shunt up or down plus how to hold the flange nut at the same time. I will figure it out but thought theres probably a knack to it.Thanks Barry.
Daz

i used to small screwdrivers down the side of the rubber and find the gas in beer out "holes" then you push and turn bit this way or that and it pops the stem in then you unscrew and lift it out on a bit of a angle to get it out

Latest posts

Back