Rehydrate yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I kind of agree with Ducatiboy stu. Start off simple and improve your practices as needed when you get a bit more experience. Even if you screw up the rehydration the first couple of times, you're probably only losing as much yeast as sprinkling straight into the FV, and you've gotten some practice with yeast handling so you'll do better the next time.

lael said:
There's an awesome thread on this... ;) lol
Where can I find this thread ,

I assume you mean sprinkle V's rehydrate

After therapy and considerable rehab time, I have heard that Stu now rehydrates his yeast.

There is a long thread on this somewhere. Rehydration is definitely the way to go.

Ducatiboy stu said:
There is.

My point is that a newbie starting out gets bombarded with " you need an autoclave, pressure cooker scientific glass flaskes, your water needs to be sterilise andirradiated,..etc..etc.." I am suprised some brewers on here dont send their water to Lucas Heights to be fully irradiated then get it home and check ever ml under a microscope go check for any plausable sign of life

When all he really needs to do is grab a clean glass and some tap water.

Sure, there are those will disagree, and thats fine. But for someone just starting out and being bombarded with all this stuff about maximum sterilisation just to re-hydrate some dried yeast there just going to wonder is it really worth.

It does'nt hurt to preboil some tapwater in a microwave a vial of water covered with gladwrap. When cool, sprinkle in the yeast and stir it with a sanitised spoon.After 10-20 minutes, pitch.

Moderation:

I have merged the two topics "Rehydrating Yeasts" and moved them from "Kits and extracts" to "Yeasts"

Ducatiboy stu said:
The death rate from using those methods has remained extremly low.
Based on cell counts or anecdotal evidence Stu?

Can you 'get away' with less than fully sterilized water? Sure you can... I agree anecdotally there is little issue, doesnt mean it's best practice though...

Best practice is to buy 50 Ha of greenfields land in New South Wales. Build a brewery and employ 5 chemists for the yeast department.....

dicko said:
Moderation:

I have merged the two topics "Rehydrating Yeasts" and moved them from "Kits and extracts" to "Yeasts"
Wondered where it went to.????

Bribie G said:
Best practice is to buy 50 Ha of greenfields land in New South Wales. Build a brewery and employ 5 buxom Sweedish chemists for the yeast department.....
FTFY

:ph34r: :D

Yob said:
Based on cell counts or anecdotal evidence Stu?

Can you 'get away' with less than fully sterilized water? Sure you can... I agree anecdotally there is little issue, doesnt mean it's best practice though...
Homo Sapiens...

For Joe the K & K brewer, there little point in going to the last degree when he uses tap water to fill his fermenter......kind defeating the purpose.

Sure, full sterilization is the aim for doing slants etc ( and I am with you.on.that ), but if your just going to use tap water in your fermenter...whats the point.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Homo Sapiens...

For Joe the K & K brewer, there little point in going to the last degree when he uses tap water to fill his fermenter......kind defeating the purpose.

Sure, full sterilization is the aim for doing slants etc ( and I am with you.on.that ), but if your just going to use tap water in your fermenter...whats the point.
why's it so hard to boil a few mls of water ?

I tend to agree with Stu in this regard. There's a lot of factors to improve for noobs (eg temp control) before worrying about yeast rehydration, boiled water, etc. Get the basics right, then look at the tweaks.

manticle said:
I tend to agree with Stu in this regard. There's a lot of factors to improve for noobs (eg temp control) before worrying about yeast rehydration, boiled water, etc. Get the basics right, then look at the tweaks.
So if someone fairly new to brewing asks a question, we should give them the easiest method over the recommended method?

My advice: do things right, as much as you can.

I actually agree with Stu. I've rehydrated and I haven't. A few hours lag difference. Was the same batch, two fermenters. Not sure I noticed any taste difference.

When I started I topped up with tap water. Now use boiled and cooled because its easy with an erlenmeyer. Not sure I can see much / any difference...

Just do it and change when you feel like you should.

Do you advise that he needs to go buy an auto clave just to sterilise his equipment and water on his very first kit brew......

Or do you advise on a simple, workable method that just works and not confuse him with tecniques & science hat ultimatly wont really give him any advantage

Teach them the basics then let them move onto more advanced techniques

If you want to split hairs, you could advocate the use of sterilised water to fill the ferm....etc...etc..

Spiesy said:
So if someone fairly new to brewing asks a question, we should give them the easiest method over the recommended method?
My advice: do things right, as much as you can.
Not really my perspective. However some things make a bigger difference than others and you can overcomplicate very easily. If a new brewer wanted to know if they should dick around with water additions for example, my response would be similar.

Stu also has a good point about using tap water in the fermenter.
As home brewers we make an awful lot of compromises - I'm not sure there really is such a thing as 'best practice', only processes that make a difference to the outcome. Getting bogged down in too much detail too early can negatively affect brewing outcomes.
Additionally people like Dr Clayton Cone recommend tap water with no mention of boiling.

I'm sure you aren't suggesting that when handling yeast, best practices shouldn't be employed ;)

For me, (YMMV) it's using as close to sterile water as possible, have I used tap water for brewing kits? Sure, noticed a difference? Nope,

Makes me happy to know that for the yeast component of brewing I'm being as good to them as I can be..

When I use dry yeast, I follow most manufacturers instructions, none that I know of suggest tap water for rehydrating yeast, may have something to do with the fact that they can't regulate what passes the cell wall initially?

Anyway... What I call best practice is not always in keeping with others points of view, it's best practice for me and a process I'm happy both with and to keep doing.

I do a lot of yeast cultivation though so process is a bit more important to me I guess

Back