Rehydrate yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best practice for me is to use liquid.
Clayton Cone recommends tap water as distilled or RO will be too soft and damage the cells.
Look I boil every solution that comes near my brew but if you are topping up to 23 L with tap water and a kit, how is using unboiled tap water to rehydrate your 7g of kit yeast going to make a beesdick's worth of difference?

Surprised to see on my first packet of Mangrove Jacks yeast (I'm trying the Newcastle variety) they recommend sprinkling. I've emailed them with a quote from Chris White's Yeast book, be interesting to see what their response is.

Ducatiboy stu said:
You can if you want. But you will have to boil it 3 times over 3 days....
I am just talking about the water you need to prepare to rehydrate yeast, that is all.

Bribie G said:
Surprised to see on my first packet of Mangrove Jacks yeast (I'm trying the Newcastle variety) they recommend sprinkling. I've emailed them with a quote from Chris White's Yeast book, be interesting to see what their response is.
It's responsible.

For anyone who doesn't already know that rehydration _might_ make a difference, sprinkling vs rehydration will make no difference to them but one is a lot simpler.

SnakeDoctor said:
It's responsible.

For anyone who doesn't already know that rehydration _might_ make a difference, sprinkling vs rehydration will make no difference to them but one is a lot simpler.
based on ?

Gosling said:
based on ?
Which of the two points are you questioning? That one is simpler? or that one might make a difference?

One is simpler, not sure I can elaborate on that.

One might make a difference: In theory you get more / better quality live cells, but there has been numerous experiments, group surveys etc that suggest it doesn't. Hence - "might".

To any punter who isn't aware of the above, i.e a very new brewer, they would be FAR better served just keeping it simple.

SnakeDoctor said:
Which of the two points are you questioning? That one is simpler? or that one might make a difference?

One is simpler, not sure I can elaborate on that.

One might make a difference: In theory you get more / better quality live cells, but there has been numerous experiments, group surveys etc that suggest it doesn't. Hence - "might".

To any punter who isn't aware of the above, i.e a very new brewer, they would be FAR better served just keeping it simple.

Your statement " sprinkling vs rehydration will make no difference to them"

please advise the basis

FFS - Just advise a new brewer of the two practices (the sprinklers or the re-hydrators), explain what the manufacturers recommend, what you're experiences are of BOTH methods, what your results are with both methods and close with "try both methods and see how you go and then YOU choose your preferred method that suits YOU".

I''ve dehydrated yeast twice ever, pain in the arse when your worrying about other things and i couldnt taste any difference in a repeated recipe. Half th3 yeast wants to stick to the side of the jar when u pour it into the fermenter, more gear to clean and sanitise, etc.

I just sprinkle and let her go.

I think there is far more things be worrying about for a new to intermediate brewer then letting his dried yeast go for a swim.

My half educated 2c

Gosling said:

please advise the basis
There was 13 pages dedicated to just that...

If you want an awsome head explosion......

Gosling said:

please advise the basis

If you don't know enough to have an opinion on which way you want to do it, the chances of you being able to taste the difference, if there is indeed one, is 0%.

SnakeDoctor said:
If you don't know enough to have an opinion on which way you want to do it, the chances of you being able to taste the difference, if there is indeed one, is 0%.

fair. However I interpreted this as meaning that the two methods were indifferent and you had a basis to state it.

Actually the famous ducatiboy thread is a good read, if you can filter out the crap in there. It does appear there are some merits to yeast rehydration, but clearly not rehydrating works too.

In my case I have to pitch wet because I pitch into a stainless closed system The only way is to pour the yeast in through a funnel through a gas exit valve at the top.

image.jpg

Settle guys, it is a long way from a full moon...:)

Yob said:
well this just got a whole lot more interesting..

photo's :)
Yes. Closed system all the way from boiler to dispenser.

And err.... no it is NOT a WW thing...

manticle said:
Very interested in the closed system. Worth another topic.
can, but its not so exciting Mants.

Basically nothing is open to air after boiler flameout. However after reading in this place for a long time, I will be shot down no doubt because I have to crack a ball valve to add yeast... ;)

The amenity of liquid It is however a very good reason to rehydrate dry yeast.

Back