Refrigeration Mechanic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can recomend a refrigeration mechanic in the Brunswick area of Melbourne.

Cheers

Shannon

How about just someone in Melbourne?

Cheers for the reply Mclovin. I have an old chest freezer that I purchased via ebay that doesnt get cold. As I got this for a steal just want to see if it just needs to be regased or something so I can built an ale fermenter. I have another fridge that I am using for my lagers and that may need some work also.

So if you can recomend someone that would be great.

Cheers

When you connect the power cord and turn on the switch do you hear any noises from the rear lower section? There is a little black dome shaped thing called a compressor down back there, does it run? and do any of the pipes coming out of this black dome get hot? :icon_cheers:

The domestic refrigeration trade is dead in Australia. Its cheaper for a person to buy a new one as they are manufactured cheep overseas but some companys do survive on warranty work as contractors to big name brands.

Just trying to help!

I work for a telco and this mob have a paging service with us for when their guys are all out on jobs, and after hours. Don't know how good they are or what they charge, but they get heaps of calls and have been going strong for the 8 years I have been with 3 paging. So they aren't fly by nighters but as with most nowadays they probably have an inspection fee initially which may be offset when they do the work.

the first thing they should ask you is what refrigerant gas does it run on. depending on its age, i may not be possible to regas it.

It should be written on a sticker on the inside of the fridge/freezer door, r12, r22, r134a are common ones. If its R12 start looking for a new machine...

the first thing they should ask you is what refrigerant gas does it run on. depending on its age, i may not be possible to regas it.

It should be written on a sticker on the inside of the fridge/freezer door, r12, r22, r134a are common ones. If its R12 start looking for a new machine...

R409a is a common retrofit for R12 today. :icon_cheers: Frezzers do not run R22 due to the low saturated suction temperatures required to achieve minus 18 celsius, it is more efficient to use a refrigerant like R12/R134a/R409a for low temperature application due to its molecular structure.

Caution when buying on Ebay!

Cheers for the replys guys.

You can hear the freezer running but it doesnt get cold. The motor works fine. It's an old Vulcan 300ltr. At a guess id say it's using r12 being pretty

It is going to going to be my Ale fermentor, so I shouldn't really need to have the freezer working? If its the gas is it really a sinker? Do i really need cooling for an Ale fridge?

Cheers guys

What ever happened to 502 gas, when I was younger a mate was an apprentice fridge mechanic and used to always have a 9kg bottle of 502 9in the work van, was the best way to quickly chill a few cans. Then turn the bottle upside down and talk funny for a bit, absolute crack up when he was on call and the rest of us were pissed. Ahh the memories

cheers

What ever happened to 502 gas, when I was younger a mate was an apprentice fridge mechanic and used to always have a 9kg bottle of 502 9in the work van, was the best way to quickly chill a few cans. Then turn the bottle upside down and talk funny for a bit, absolute crack up when he was on call and the rest of us were pissed. Ahh the memories

cheers

R 502 is long gone, There was also R11 good for washing your dirty overalls!

Back