Reeeally Noticeable Sulfur Smell From Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use sulphite (so2) for my cider. I put it through a fairly quick primary, then pitch an MLF, after that there's not much can go wrong. I leave a couple of months in secondary (with minimal headspace) then bottle carb, haven't had any problems yet.

Where can you obtain a MLF, I assume this is a malolactic you are talking about.

I buy mine from winequip, about $40 for enough to do 250L+

G'day all
I've got a couple of lagers with H2S issues coming to the end of their ferments. I've got some CuSO4 and read the previous posts about need to dilute it 1:20 three times. My solution is 0.05 Mol, I'm no chemist but I think that's pretty weak. Any chance someone knows how much solution I need to put in19 ltrs of stinking beer?

Cheers

I went with 1 drop in each keg. I'll check it in the morning and go from there.

Sulphur smells are common in fermentation. What everyone says above is right; also, isn't it often said that when you stick a bottle in the fridge for a few days the smells will go away?

Slightly OT. I've started wondering again about the nutrient content in apple juice - specifically, the claim above that it's not very nutrient rich. Since apples are often mentioned as a natural home of wild yeasts I always sort of assumed they're nutrient rich; and a recent experience with a cyser fermentation (cyser - honey and apple juice) has borne this out.

I fermented the cyser in two different fermenters on two different yeasts - one, a red wine yeast; the other, a recently-captured wild yeast.

Both ferments finished fairly quickly with a gravity below 1.000 - in fact, I think the wild yeast cyser gravity was one point below that of the normal yeast gravity. I'm pretty sure in both cases the yeasts got a lot of nutrients from the apple juice. (Yet in a later ferment with the wild yeast - another 'comparative' ferment, where I did a beer on two yeasts, one a normal beer yeast and the other the wild yeast - the wild yeast badly underperformed and underattenuated.)

Of course, there's probably less nutrient in canned cider concentrate or store-bought apple juice.

Latest posts

Back