Ginger beer advice, first brew ever

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing jollos is reluctant to use artificial sweeteners and instead is opting to refrigerate before fermentation is complete, allowing some of the unfermented fermentable sugar to remain in the brew to contribute sweetness instead. Jollos is that right?

Ah missed that bit... thought he was just opening the lids to stop them exploding!

Probably a good exercise anyway, given the method being applied

laxation said:
I'm not sure of the effect opening the beer has...
All I know is you should probably stop it :p

Brewing really needs two things. Sanitation and patience.

For your next one, try leaving it all alone until it is ready.
Add non-fermentable sweeteners instead of regular sugars.
Bottle it and leave it alone until the carb drops have done their work.
If it isn't sweet enough after it is carbed, don't add more sugar to the bottle - just buy a bottle of ginger cordial and add it to your glass to taste.

If the beer is dry, it's because you added sugars that ferment. This increases the alcohol level but doesn't sweeten the brew. Maybe this is because you opened the bottles, I dunno...
Yeah, I will stop messing with bottles, just wasnt sure if I needed to be releasing the pressure, or if they were ready..the recipe that I followed kind of said that once the bottles were firm, they would be ready, but... Im not convinced and carbonation doesnt seem complete but does seem to be building. As far as leaving alone until ready... the only problem is... I just don't know when that is at the moment, that will come with experience.

I put the dryness down to not back sweetening enough (and potential further dryness from releasing the pressure and setting the carb process back), again, this will come with experience no doubt. The thought of unfermentable sugars i find kind of off-putting, like compromising on taste and quality, and, as for the thought of drinking brewed ginger beer with cordial... seems kind of heathenish :)

FYI, I am attempting to carb and backsweeten in a single hit with sugar alone. I gather the carb drops are just sugar anyway?

Thanks for your thoughts, they are much appreciated from my novice self...with time and experience, I am hopeful of mastering :)

mtb said:
I'm guessing jollos is reluctant to use artificial sweeteners and instead is opting to refrigerate before fermentation is complete, allowing some of the unfermented fermentable sugar to remain in the brew to contribute sweetness instead. Jollos is that right?
Spot on :)

Minimum 2 weeks after bottling with sugar for carbing & conditioning is standard, so use that for a guide. Not sure how it will differ if you are fridging it...

Gotta disagree there slightly laxation, at warm temps (20C) carbing will occur in seven days, given typical circumstances.
If you refrigerate though, expect carbonation to take ages (or not happen at all)

What you're suggesting is definitely possible Jollos, and not too uncommon with ginger beer. Let it carb for 5 days at room temp, then chill down one bottle to test carbonation. If well carbed, chuck it all in the fridge and you *shouldn't* face a bottle bomb risk, but drink a bottle per week minimum to keep an eye on the carbonation. If not carbed enough after 5 days, leave it at room temp a little longer and repeat.

Awesome, thank you both for your input, it is very much appreciated...let's see how it goes :)

HI Jollos

So how did it turn out in the end did it carbonize for you?
This is a question for the pros
I had mine sitting in the garage for three week now here in Sydney. Outdoor temp at night is around 5 to 8 degrees and day time around the 17 degrees mark.
I fridged a bottle last night and opened it today with very little to no fizz at all.
Would this have been because it is to cold in the garage to carbonize?

Thanks inpowers

Back