RedX Malt - Anyone used it/got a recipe suggestion?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
Doing a brew this weekend and aiming to use some or all of the 5kg of RedX malt I bought a while back

Anyone used it, got some tips, or a recipe?

Aiming for something in the red ale to red ipa realms..

red ipl

Summary

• Gravity Before Boil: 1.057 SG (14.6 Brix)
  • Original Gravity: 1.052 SG (13.4 Brix)
  • Final Gravity: 1.013 SG (7.4 Brix)

• Volume Before Boil: 55.00 l
  • Volume After Boil: 45.00 l
  • Volume Transferred: 45.00 l
  • Water Added To Dilute: 15.00 l
  • Volume At Pitching: 60.00 l
  • Volume Of Finished Beer: 60.00 l

• Total Water Required: 81.74 l
  • Total Grain: 11.739 kg

• Batch Cost: $0.00

Preparation
If using a yeast starter prepare one a couple of days in advance.
If necessary crush the grains.
Heat 29.35 l of water to 74 ˚C.
Add the following salts.
  • 12 g of gypsum.
  • 5.00 g of calcium chloride.

Mashing
Dough in the following fermentable ingredients.
  • 5.217 kg of Weyermann Vienna Malt
  • 2.609 kg of Weyermann Munich I
  • 2.609 kg of red x
  • 652 g of Weyermann Dark Wheat Malt
  • 652 g of Weyermann CaraHell
Mash pH should be 5.2.
Allow the temperature to stabilize at 65 ˚C. Allow to rest at this temperature for 60 minutes.
Add 9.89 l of water at 65 ˚C, mix and run off.
Add a further 27.50 l of water at 65 ˚C and mix.
Run off to collect a total of 55.00 l of wort.

Boiling
As the wort is coming to boil, add the following 'first wort hops'.
  • 30 g of US Columbus(Tomahawk)
Bring the water to the boil.
Add the following hops at the times given.
  • 59 g of US Citra (15 Min From End)
Also add the following during the boil.
  • 9.55 g of Brewbrite
Boil the wort for a total of 60 minutes.
At 'turn off' add the following hops.
  • 74 g of US Citra
Chill the wort to the appropriate pitching temperature and rack the wort to your fermenter.

Fermentation
The desired volume at pitching is 60.00 l. Expect to dilute with 15.00 l of water to obtain this.
Ferment at 18 ˚C with
  • 1 pack of White Labs WLP800-Pilsner Lager
If using a secondary, transfer when appropriate.

Racking And Packaging
Dry hop with the following hops.
  • 59 g of US Citra
If using a secondary, the beer should be lagered for 4 weeks before racking into either bottles or keg.
If not using a secondary, the beer should be racked directly into bottles or keg and lagered for 4 weeks.

Very comprehensive there Barls looks nice

IPL is that Indian Pale Lager ? but with dark wheat wont be pale

Love to see a pic of this beer

Would you describe it as a new world lager

Excuse my ignorance on this matter mate

yep india red lager. no pics as the last of it disappeared . my bad should of put it in there. i should also mention that my system is around 90% efficiency.
you could change the lager yeast out for something else and call it an ira.
alos most of what i make doesn't fit a style.

Thanks for the recipe, though unfortunately doesnt line up with whats currently in the cupboard :)

Currently penciling out a red ale along the lines of the following for a ~22L batch/72% efficiency

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 33.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 48.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
5.00 kg RedX (BestMälz) (30.0 EBC) 95.2 %
0.20 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC) 3.8 %
0.05 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) 1.0 %

20.00 g Centennial [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 18.6 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade, New Zealand [7.00 %] - Boil 10 2.8 IBUs
10.00 g Centennial [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min 3.4 IBUs
10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.00 %] - Boil 10.0 m 4.4 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade, New Zealand [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 1.5 IBUs
10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.00 %] - Boil 5.0 mi 2.4 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade, New Zealand [7.00 %] - Whirlpool 5.9 IBUs
20.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.00 %] - Whirlpool 9.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg West Coast IPA (Wyeast #1217)

It looks great when very clear. I used it at 79% the rest a mix of toffee, munick, crystal, acidulated. Deep ruby color at 20EBC calculated but I'm sure mine was darker than that. Colour greatness is all I can say because I messed up my only red ale attempt with too much acid malt as an over correction newbie stuff up.
So I really cant judge on the flavour but I've heard its a mixed combination of malts. (Unknown).
My next red will be my choice combination.

One sachet of WLP800 is really stressing things for 55L of wort, yes with a fresh yeast and a good (really good) starter it will all may be fine.
It's just a gut feeling, as I rarely make lagers I cannot claim practical expertise.
I did make a lager this year though (about 40L), and I did use WLP800 and I did pitch at 8C and I did not allow it to go above 8C.
Did not use a starter either.

K

dr K said:
One sachet of WLP800 is really stressing things for 55L of wort, yes with a fresh yeast and a good (really good) starter it will all may be fine.
It's just a gut feeling, as I rarely make lagers I cannot claim practical expertise.
I did make a lager this year though (about 40L), and I did use WLP800 and I did pitch at 8C and I did not allow it to go above 8C.

K
that was more to note what i used. saying that it was 60L and three 15L cubes. and definitely was not at 18 more like 9.5 in my chest freezer

dr K said:

K
dr K said:

K
How many satchels did you use though

Oh I just bottled a Red Rye I brewed a few weeks back with Red X base at 2/3 with Rye and Melanoidin making up the rest. I used 2 NZ hops for bittering and aroma and American Wheat wyeast. Looks and smells the goods, can't wait to taste a conditioned brew.

How did yours go?

Made a Red IPA few years back with 70% Red x 30% Wheat. Worked really well and still kept the hops prominent with a decent malt backbone

I have heard that Red X is not a stand alone malt and that it is made up from a number of Malts that Best Maltz have. Can anyone confirm this???

I make a standard North German Lager using Best Heidelberg malt (4.3kgs) for a 25 litre brew, a few of handfuls of Carafoam and a few handfuls of Light Malted Wheat . I substituted 2kgs of the Heidelberg Malt for 2kgs of Red X and the result is a cracker. However, it does not fall within any BJCP guidelines but it's bloody nice to drink and the appearance is also a standout.

Back