Red Oak Aiba Grand Champion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
Howdy, my girlfriend and I just got back from a beer tasting day in sydney, mainly visited redoak cafe, and must have tried everything they had there (nearly...)
I'm not happy they were out of a lot I was hoping to try, namely the oatmeal stout, irish dry stout, rauch bier, dunkelweissen and vienna lager, all of which I was looking forward to.
I may as well make a point that I was the first there (waited for quite a while, and chatted up the bar staff ;)) to try their Australian International Beer Award grand champion special reserve barleywine...was very impressive, I've never tried a barleywine before, expectedly it reminded me of port or congac, except with more of a fruit cake kind of aroma...sorry about the lack of worthwhile notes I was fairly drunk by that time :rolleyes: apparently it was triple fermented in 3 different types of oak for 2 years or something, I got some of the original 'authentic' batch that was actually barrel matured, of which they had not much of at all, dont know how long it'll last. I reckon it was worth the $15 for 50ml either way....My favourite for the night was...urgh cant choose, here's what I tried though (in order), if you have a particular question I'll do my best to answer:

belgium choc-cherry stout
belgium chocolate stout

weizen doppelbock (ltd ed)
blackberry hefeweizen

wee Heavy ale (ltd ed)
english hand pump ale (ltd ed)

Honey ale (ltd ed)
baverian pilsner

alt bier (ltd ed)
brown porter (ltd ed)
Christmas Cheer (ltd etd - interesting!) (freebie!)

Baltic porter (ltd ed)
Blackberry hefeweizen (again...gf's fave ;))

Special reserve (very ltd ed :blink: )

I didn't get to try the bock unfortunately, maybe next time! (along with the others I missed)
plenty of info on their homepage
anyway I'm going to sleep, it was a great night with lots of great beers, also went to lowenbrau and had their dunkelweissen and the hefe with lemon and one with mango, tastey, nothing special. I liked the dunkelweiss though...

Purchased a selection of Redoak brews this week. So far my mate Terry and I have tried the Organic Hefeweizen and the Bavarian Pilsener. Both are top class brews. Terry has travelled extensively in Europe and is a big Hefeweizen fan. He reckons that Redoak is the equal of any that he has tried during his travels.

The Bavarian Pilsener was unlike any Pilsener that I have tried before. It had the clean crisp palate of a Pilsener but with a slightly fruity finish. Much prefer this to the some of the harsh bitternesss of the imported brands that I have tried.

Tonight we will venture onto the Vienna Lager and the Bock.

Cheers
Dave
:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back