Red IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbowzky1

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I have some hops laying around and taking up room in the freezer. I've been wanting to give a Gladfiels red IPA a go for a while though given the hops on hand I'm gunna mix it up a bit.

Here are my thought, please feel free to offer suggestions, alterations, criticise, etc.

Aiming for a OG of 1.062 using
3.2kg 2-Row
1.2kg Vienna
950g Aurora
450g Shephards Delight
390g Red Back
260g Toffee

Mash schedule
In @38c
Protein rest 20min @48c
Maltrose 40min @63-64c
Saccrification 20min @73c
Out 10min @78c
And a sparge
Should attenuate further reducing saltiness and increasing bitterness

Thought is to go for a full body amber water profile adjusted to 50ppm Ca, 7ppm Mg, 12ppm Na, 74ppm Cl and 50ppm SO4. Add 1ml lactic acid for a 5.45pH and a chloride/sulfate ratio of 1.5 to help with the bitterness of the following hop schedule and mash profile.

Additionally I have chosen both Bio-transformation and FWH techniques, both I have found to be amazing and produce great results.

45g Galaxy FWH for a 90min boil
12g Columbus FWH for a 90min boil
15g Amarillo 15min
10g Cascade 10min
15g Galaxy @ flame out
20g Citra @ flame out
For ~88 IBUs

Crash chill to 19C

Using a starter of 1272 @ 19c allow fermentation for first 12hr, then add 20g Galaxy and reduce ferm fridge to 18c for 14days.

Rack to keg, condition @2c and dry hop
15g Amarillo
10g Cascade
20g Citra
For 10days

Condition further 18days and tap keg.

Will be doing this Thursday or Friday, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
My $0.02. So its an ipa, my general rule is aim for 50% of the ibu's from early additions.

Galaxy as fwh is a waste, Columbus however is great as fwh imo.

Your dry hopping at 2.5g/l is pale ale levels not ipa. Look at 4-5g/l

And.. that a very complex malt bill for a hop fwd beer. Imo have a base malt and the specialities to get the colour and let the hops shine

And.. that a very complex malt bill for a hop fwd beer. Imo have a base malt and the specialities to get the colour and let the hops shine

This is the recipe I'm working off.
Gladfield Red IPA – 25l
Ingredients:

Malts
3.94kg American Ale Malt (60.6%)
1.31kg Vienna Malt (20.2%)
0.26kg Toffee Malt (4%)
0.46kg Red Back Malt (7.1%)
0.53kg Shepherds Delight Malt (8.1%)

Hops
60min – 32g Pacific Jade
15min – 20g NZ Cascade
0min – 25g Pacifica and 15g NZ Cascade

It' been an interest of mine to brew it for a while. I just changed a few %%% to add in Aurora.

And changed the hops for what I had

My $0.02. So its an ipa, my general rule is aim for 50% of the ibu's from early additions.

Galaxy as fwh is a waste, Columbus however is great as fwh imo.

Your dry hopping at 2.5g/l is pale ale levels not ipa. Look at 4-5g/l

I love Columbus as a FHW, unfortunately I have only 12g left. I have heaps of Galaxy and figured as a first wort addition could be quiet amazing.

As for the lower hop additions I was trying to keep flavours and that similar to the recipe posted above.

I do like feed back tho.
Galaxy is an amazing Bio-transformation (also basically dry hopping, but in primary at heght krusen) hop though so could just do that and an earlier galaxy addition.
Will have to buy more Columbus. What about Chinook as a FWH with similar bill?

Having a bit more of a think about what timmi mentioned for the IPA style.

I've ecided to take a bit more of the NE (IPA) approach with the bio-transformation and while keeping Gladfiels Red IPA recipe I'm thinking a hop bill a bit more complex and layered as below. Gives 77-ish IBUs, with 47 coming from FWH additions and rest late as suggested. And with 50g galaxy in primary of 23Lt (2.1g/L) and 55g of Amarillo, Chinook, Cascade & Citra as below in 19lt keg (2.8g/L) giving a dry hopping ratio of ~5g/L so well into IPA land

So here's the schedule
30g Chinook @ FWH for 90min boil
12g Columbus @ FWH for 90min boil
15g Amarillo @ 30min
10g Cascade @ 30min
7.5g Galaxy @ 15min
5g Citra @ 15min
7.5g Galaxy @ 10min
5g Citra @ 10min
7.5g Galaxy @ 5min
5g Citra @ 5min
4g Galaxy @ 1min
3g Citra @ 1min
3.5g Galaxy @ 0min (flameout)
2g Citra @ 0min (flameout)

50g Galaxy - Bio-transformation @ high krusen in primary using London Ale III - 1318

10days in secondary with cold conditioning
20g Citra
15g Amarillo
10g Cascade
10g Chinook

Thoughts???

Back