Kit and Kilo Rye IPA Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick Chopps

Reaction score
Love me a Stockade 8Bit IPA so want to look at doing a Rye IPA as part of my next batch. Sticking to kit and kilo brewing for the time being and keen for some feedback on the following recipe.

3.4kg Generic Unhopped Light LME

700gm Light Chrystal
400gm Rye Caramel Malt
400gm CaraVienna

Hop schedule
25gm Citra/Cascade @30min
25gm Citra/Cascade @20min
25gm Galaxy @10min

Probably try M42 or M44 yeast again over US05.

Dry hop with 50gm Galaxy

Opted for Light Chrystal and Vienna over Caramalt as looking for a more restrained malt profile and thinking the caramalt might be too sweet.

Thoughts and advice appreciated!

your total amount of crystal malts is 1.5kg. you are going to have a hella sweet and chewy beer. I'd suggest to scale it back down to 200-300g worth of only your rye crystal malt. IPA wants a dry finish, and higher than this amount and you'll have a sweet-malt finish.

are you doing a full volume boil? your hop schedual isn't likely to get you to where you want it to be and will be more on the bitter side rather than the fruity.

Thanks for the response!

Boil will be 7L, final brew volume will be 21L.

Used the spreadsheet on here and it gave me about 50IBU's which is somewhere near where I want it.

Definitely conscious of being too sweet so I'll look at the total steeped grain volume.

Had a look around and refined the recipe.

Settled on the following.

3.4kgs Light LME
500gm Light DME

400gm Rye Malt
100gm Carapils
100gm Light Chrystal Malt

Grain steeped in 7L for 30mins at 65-70c

Hop schedule
12.5gm Citra & 12.5gm Cascade @30min
12.5gm Citra & 12.5gm Cascase @20min
25gm Galaxy @10min

Brew to 22L and ferment with Mangrove Jacks M42 strong Ale yeast.

Gonna do a single hop Galaxy Pale Ale aswell.

Back