Golden Ale & Amber Ale advice please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNU

Reaction score
That awesome time of the month to brew some more beers!!!! Looking to put down a Golden and a Amber, current stock at home

crystal Light & Dark
Galaxy
Cascade
Amarillo
Mosiac
Citra
Amber Malt (liquid)
Wheat Malt (liquid)
Light Malt (liquid)

GOLDEN ALE

Batch size 23 litre

1.5kg Liquid WME
1.5kg Liquid LME
500g Light DME
200g Light Crystal (40-60)
US-05

Steep grain for 30mins at 65-70

5litre boil
60mins - 20g Amarillo
20min - 20g Amarillo
5min - 20g Amarillo

Allow to sit in ice bath for 10mins & then everything into the FV at 18 degrees

Dry Hop with 20g Amarillo

AMBER ALE

Batch size 23 litre

Coopers Lager Kit
1.5kg Liquid AME
500g Light DME
200g Light Crystal (40-60)
US-05

Steep grain for 30mins at 65-70

5litre boil
10mins - 10g Galaxy & 10g Mosiac
0min - 10g Galaxy & 10g Mosiac

Allow to sit in ice bath for 20mins & then everything into the FV at 18 degrees

Dry Hop with 10g Galaxy & 10g Mosiac

Once again a personal taste thing, but I would be substituting a good portion of dry/liquid malt with dextrose.
The golden ale you are looking at about 30ibu and a final gravity of 1015 if you are lucky, which, to me, leaves too much malt sweetness for that amount of bitterness.

FG of 1010 is good for 30 IBU.

pcmfisher said:
Once again a personal taste thing, but I would be substituting a good portion of dry/liquid malt with dextrose.
The golden ale you are looking at about 30ibu and a final gravity of 1015 if you are lucky, which, to me, leaves too much malt sweetness for that amount of bitterness.

FG of 1010 is good for 30 IBU.
I haven't brewed around that kinda ibu before or even a golden ale for that matter. thanks for the advice. I'll swap out the DME for dextrose and see how it turns out.

I'm working on perfecting the exact same brews!

Attempt #3 of the Golden Ale is in the fermenter and is very similar to yours except I'm using 250gm Medium Crystal 140 and no DME. I found that on the last version of this recipe that I did 30 IBU was too bitter for my taste so I went back to 20 IBU through 15g Amarillo additions at 30, 15, 5 and day 3.

For the Amber Ale I'm using 3.0kg of Liquid LME with 300gm Medium Crystal 140 and 50gm Choc Malt 1200.

Willamette Hop Additions:
40gm @ 45
20gm @ 15
10gm @ day 2

S-04 yeast

Gives an IBU of 22 and EBC of 22.4 on the spreadsheet, its been conditioning for 3 weeks, I find it to be a good level of bitterness for me and the choc flavour is really nice. You wont get the same flavour from the AME, if your trying to replicate JSAA then choc malt is a must!

Latest posts

Back