Red Celtic Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendo

Tap-whore
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am looking at doing this for my next brew (based on a post from Citymorgue)

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Premium Selection Bitter or Mt Mellick Cream Ale
1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt
150g Crystal Malt
50g Roast Malt
60g Roasted Barley
50g Carapils Malt
25g Northern Brewer @ 60min
S-04 English Ale Yeast

I recently did a stout using specialty grains (steeping) so thought I would give this a shot.

I have just been reading my copy of How to Brew and it lists carapils malt as requiring a mash. I am pretty new at this game (this will be brew #7) so wanted to know if you can just steep the Carapils or do I really need to do a mini-mash kinda thing? if so, does anyone have any tips for me on how to go about it?

Also looking at a LCPA clone (based on simpletorro's recipe) which uses 100g of carapils - where he says that he steeps them with 250g of crystal malt.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Brendo

I have a feeling 50g of Carapils won't be very noticable amongst all of the other dark grains you have there. Sounds like you could probably do without in in your recipe.

carapils doesn't need a mash.
I agree though that 50g won't do much. I'd just drop it, or else increase the amount.

On the mini-mash front it is easy if you already steep.
Just steep the grains at around 65-70C for half an hour. 60min if you can.
Keep the temp by placing your steeping pot in a very very low oven, or some other method to keep the temp relatively constant for that period.

For full and partial mashing the temperature range of your steep is very important.
For a mini-mash almost will do, and it isn't that hard.

Thanks guys... I will give it a shot on the weekend and see how I go.

If I was to up the amount of carapils, any suggestions as to what would be a better level?

brendo

Thanks guys... I will give it a shot on the weekend and see how I go.

If I was to up the amount of carapils, any suggestions as to what would be a better level?

brendo
If you were to increase it, i'd say something around the 250g mark seems reasonable. Though I gotta say, I don't think the recipe you have doesn't need any carapils at all. I'd almost be tempted to up the Crystal actually...give it a good toffeeish maltiness.

If you were to increase it, i'd say something around the 250g mark seems reasonable. Though I gotta say, I don't think the recipe you have doesn't need any carapils at all. I'd almost be tempted to up the Crystal actually...give it a good toffeeish maltiness.

Cool - well I might up the crystal as I will have a bit left over from my LCPA recipe and see how it all turns up.

Thanks again,

Brendo

Latest posts

Back