Reculturing The Right Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coleman

Reaction score
I love the yeast profile from the ROGUE beers and I have just missed wyeast's special on their yeast so.... I was wondering if anyone has sucessuflly recultured the yeast from a bottle of their beer, I have sucessfully recultured yeast strains before but I'm not certain that the pacman yeast is actually the yeast that rogue uses to carbonate their beer? I'm ready to brew my next pale ale and would absolutely love to hav that pacman yeast profile to it so eaither getting answers from people with experience and knowledge of using the recultured yeast succesfully or some sort of substitute that gets closer than US 05 or wyeast 1056?

Cheers in advance from Drewey! :chug: !!!

I for one would love to know as well. My mate and myself just put down a batch of 'Coopers Pale Ale" out of their "Australian" series. It was as basic as you can get...Can, Coppers BE2, supplied yeast. We didn't touch it for nearly 3 months and the end product was just sensational.... but I have a stubby of the propper stuff and would love to reculture it in my next Pale Ale clone.

How did you go with culturing your yeast?

Cheers,

Mitch.

I for one would love to know as well. My mate and myself just put down a batch of 'Coopers Pale Ale" out of their "Australian" series. It was as basic as you can get...Can, Coppers BE2, supplied yeast. We didn't touch it for nearly 3 months and the end product was just sensational.... but I have a stubby of the propper stuff and would love to reculture it in my next Pale Ale clone.

How did you go with culturing your yeast?

Cheers,

Mitch.

Use this as an outline (download the pdf file) it's a simply put set of instructions, the only part the i do differently is when i cook up teh wort (step 2), i add an old yeast sachet (or small amout of bakers yeast) to the boil so the yeast has some extra nutrients to begin their life with!

Goodluck, coopers yeast is an easy strain to reculture as its made here in Australia and i believe is the same strain used for carbonation!

Drew

Thanks a lot Drew.

What do you mean used for carbonation? Is the yeast used for primary and carbonation different?

Mate that's a brilliant article. Thanks very much! I had read many a thread about the yeast reculture from the bottles but that's a great walk-through. I know exactly how to go about this.

I'm curious to know, what's this yeast similar too? US-05 maybe? I'd love to do a test with the basic CPA kit and use a US-05 in one, and the propper yeast in the other and compare.

Cheers mate.

US-05 is a pretty clean yeast, whilst coopers on the other hand can impart some fruity esters and is better when kept to below 19 C, otherwise banana esters could dominate the flavour. Not really sure what commercial yeast would come close to a coopers, its easier to just culture from the bottle, then you get to drink the beer as well ;)

Pretty sure that the yeast in Rogue bottles is the primary yeast. My understanding is that it is quite different to US05 but I've never used it myself.

Personally, the state of the yeast in the bottom of the bottles I've had here don't seem like anything I'd be hopeful about reculturing. Perhaps you might have better results if you were to ask nicely if a local brewer had a bottle of a beer they made with pacman and you could reculture from that? Someone might even have a bit of reclaimed yeastcake they might be willing to part with.

I'm currently fermenting an American Cream Ale using Pacman. PM me with your Addy, send me some postal $$ and I'll post you a chilled vial next week.

Pacman is great. Use it in Docs Golden Ale and it makes it.

How do you keep a vial chilled in the mail? :huh:
Most shops will include small frozen gel-type freezer packs and depending on how long shipping takes they are often still cool when they arrive.
Otherwise yeast can survive outside the fridge fine enough - for a time - it's just best to keep it cool, especially if you wish to store it for long periods of time.
I had a yeast slant shipped to me from the UK via regular post with no additional cooling or packaging - think it took about a week to get here - but it has recultured fine.

Thanks a lot Drew.

What do you mean used for carbonation? Is the yeast used for primary and carbonation different?

Heheh sorry mat forgot to post up a link of what i follow, so yeah as i said also..

'when i cook up the wort (step 2), i add an old yeast sachet (or small amout of bakers yeast) to the boil so the yeast has some extra nutrients to begin their life with!'

and to answer your question, yes some breweries use a different yeast for carbonation, but coopers don't so you're in the clear!

Drewey

How do you keep a vial chilled in the mail? :huh:

One of these and bubble wrap. I've had nice cold vials sent from Perth in the past. I have heaps of this item from Craftbrewer sitting around. It's actually quite interesting, if you let it sit for a few weeks the gel dries out and it turns into a flat sheet. Then reyhdrate for a few hours and it plumps up again, then freeze it. B)

Most shops will include small frozen gel-type freezer packs and depending on how long shipping takes they are often still cool when they arrive.
Otherwise yeast can survive outside the fridge fine enough - for a time - it's just best to keep it cool, especially if you wish to store it for long periods of time.
I had a yeast slant shipped to me from the UK via regular post with no additional cooling or packaging - think it took about a week to get here - but it has recultured fine.

another good option is to slant it and then send it immeditely. Atleast thats what i did for Wolfys slants before the case swap. slanted the wednesday~ before the case swap on the saturday. Tthe time it takes for it to flourish on the growth medium will probabaly be in the range of 2-5 days depending on weather etc. By then they are ready for a vent and to jump into the fridge. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back