Records

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfathisar

Reaction score
Hi all

I am new to brewing but I have now made a few batches of beer, ginger beer, apple cider and lemonade - all from kits. At this stage I am writing in coloured pen on the lids of the bottles to differentiate the contents. Is there an easier way?? Oh I should add that I have just come to the realisation that I should be keeping notes - bit slow me :rolleyes:

I used Ianh's spreadsheet for record keeping before I splashed out for beersmith. Have a look through this thread, the latest version is towards the end somewhere.

For labelling I just use a sharpie & write something different for each batch.

I used Ianh's spreadsheet for record keeping before I splashed out for beersmith. Have a look through this thread, the latest version is towards the end somewhere.

For labelling I just use a sharpie & write something different for each batch.

Thanks - it is the actual labelling I am trying to find a simpler way for - like you I use a sharpie and I can get flavour (ie L = lemonade, AC = apple cider etc) on it and the date bottled eg Dec '10 but it is getting increasingly more difficult to get the white tops. I have only found Brigalow that do the white tops and most supermarkets are getting out of their home brew supplies section :-(

I have considered using tape on the bottles but not sure how well that would work.

What info do you put on your tops if I may ask?

Sorry, I use glass bottles so have the gold coloured tops. Can't help with the black lids, maybe a sharpie would write on the bottles? I just put on a letter or 2 & remember which batch it is (hopefully). That's where the record keeping comes into it.

I record batch number and type on the lid in a silver sharpie

Here is the beer I just opened.
capexample.JPG

Continue your current system on the lids and then bang them in cardboard boxes and write more detailed stuff on them.

Or if that won't work just number them as hatchy suggests and keep a log near the fridge or whatever.

I print off all the batch info, for date, batch number, ingredients, mash info ect... all the way until bottled date and ABV and a notes section at the bottom for things i learned during the process. Then i just simply number each bottle. That was if i need to refer back to something i always have it.

Its really up to you how much detail you want.

Also, if your re-using screw top plastic bottles, you could use a small sticker/masking tape for the numbering.

I just use those little white sticky labels on the caps and mark with a biro easy as.

I write the batch number in black texta on the lid or if its a swing top wrap the neck with electrical tape and write on that. Batch numbers refer to beers in a note book that I write all of the details so that I can see where i went wrong or so I can repeat the process if the beer is good

Thanks for all the tips - it is great to know that I wasn't missing something that was bleedin' obvious.
BTW - what is MOTPA?

Lecky tape on the bottle, write with a pencil. Stays on reasonably well and you can rub it off without issues!

I use Home Brew Kit Master.

You can print off a nice summary of the brew inc alcohol content.

I put it on each crate that I brew.

Also, as it prints 6 each time ( on one page) I give them to those I give my "craftbrews" to

Hope it helps

Cheers

PS Don't worry about the $15 fee on the page, the free version works fine

Back