Recommend me a commercial porter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the beginning there was the porter then the brewery started to produce the stout porter that they were stronger than normal porte and dome with first used malt so they were better and more expensive..than the normal porter..

For what I know the RB was used for the first time in ireland by the guinness for save the money of the malt..

But during the world war the porter style was dismissed and guinness begin to become famouse like stout..
Only with the new way of US craft brewery in the 80's porter comeback to be brew...so there is some cpnfusion between porter and stout..also bjcp description is very simillar exept for some point of OG(porter can be stronger) an d IBU EBC(dry stout could be darker and bitter) and they tell that you can use same ingredient but if you have a look on CAMRA you will find different line..for example RB for stout and malt for porter...

I hope that you can understand what i try to explain...unfortunatly it s little hard for me...

Ballast point black marlin is a great porter to start on. Hunter porter is also tops if your up that way

Emerson's London Porter is a good one too. Bold and roasty.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Cooper Dark is a porter as is Tooheys Old. They are basically brown porters
Coopers Dark Ale and Tooheys Old are not a porters.

/// said:
Fabric softner with Enzymes ...

Been chucking about 300gm in for a 24hl batch. I havent done the calc on the total PPM fo Calcium, but adding 150gm each of Chloride and Sulphate in to the mash for 1200l. We do 2 x 12hl's to fill the fermenter if that is not apparent.

Mash pH at about 5.4, rises to about 6 in the whirlpool with that 300gm. Been dropping to the standard terminal at about 4.3, tasted great on the last batch.
300gms in a 24hl batch (equivalent to 3 gms in 24L) added at whirlpool? Wow, I'm amazed you can taste it at all !!!

Cheers Ross

I think Coopers describe their dark as a 'dark Mild'.Brown Porters and Milds are an overlapping style,they share characteristics.I'd personally consider it a little tame in the flavour department for a brown Porter,but it fits the guidelines in other departments,as it does for a Mild.I always thought they based it on Brains,from Wales,might be wrong though.

Moad said:
I was trying to mimick taddy porter and ended up with something very close to sierra Nevada porter. Sn porter is on the roasty side but is a great drop.
with a little bit of research you could find the recipe for "Who's your taddy porter" from the book 'brewing classic styles.

They claim that 72.5% english ale 10.5% brown 10.5% crystal and 6.5% chocolate will get you there.

I also am a fan of Tooheys Old, but I would also give Fuller's porter a go. Had one on the weekend, was very intensely flavoured.

Wanting to brew a porter and doing some research. Just drinking an elemental porter as a result of one of the posts in this thread. Mmm... So good. Have a few more different porters to try to round it out. Anyone tried to clone elemental?

Sam Smiths Taddy porter is hard to beat. Its got the right body, colour & lovely taste that a porter should have IMHO. Smiths also open top ferment all their beers in Yorkshire squares - pretty darn neat..

Love the zywiec... Have seen a recipe from on here for it and from clonebrews. That is a very tempting one to do.

Zyweic Baltic Porter? Really?!

I love a good dark brew, but i found this excessively, uh, robust.
I still have 5 of the 6-pack left.

Maybe I better try it again.

Awesome. Have one in the cellar. Funny, I liked the zywiec's I've had cause it was much less robust than others... Like Sierra Nevada and riversides and a couple of others.

Oh, the Zwyeic was stellar. Nice dark notes, touch of aniseed/liquorice flavours.. Definitely a robust beer, but I think that's what they were going for.

I do love a bit of smoked malt in my porters, something a little different to think about.

Latest posts

Back