Recommend me a commercial porter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slash22000 said:
I've never had a Toohey's Old, but I'm told that it's actually halfway drinkable, which is bizarre.
how so?

I was trying to mimick taddy porter and ended up with something very close to sierra Nevada porter. Sn porter is on the roasty side but is a great drop.

Zywiec Porter gets my vote. Such a smooth taste and hides the massive alcohol very well.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Cooper Dark is a porter as is Tooheys Old. They are basically brown porters
Well, i've had Tooheys Old quite a few times, so i guess i have actually tried a porter! Just didn't know what i was drinking...

Sometimes if i'm having a night of it, i'll break up every few Coopers Pale schooners with an Old... Kind of a palate thing i think.

manticle said:
Main difference in modern times between the two is the amount of roastiness ad the colour but whether that roastiness and colour comes from roast barley or black is irrelevant - just shouldn't be overshadowing other flavours and shouldn't be as full on as a stout.
I'd also add that stout has much more body than a porter... in my humble opinion.

Zywiec Porter for sure.cheap, damn tasty and a six pack will get u going

Baltika #8. Not the easiest beer to find, but worth the effort. Just about my favorite commercial beer.
Toohey's Old is pretty good and you can find it on tap about the place..
If you haven't had many (or any) porters before, they are a good place to start.

Zywiec may not be a good place to start. It's more of an acquired taste.

mattdean4130 said:
Thanking you all!
Will get on this tomorrow, now the only question is which one to choose!
Easy, try all of them.

treefiddy said:
Zywiec porter (Baltic porter).

About $20 for a sixer. Deceivingly strong.
Bloody oath. This is a fantastic beer.

slash22000 said:
I've never had a Toohey's Old, but I'm told that it's actually halfway drinkable, which is bizarre.
It's definitely more than halfway drinkable. A good session beer at the typical pub or RSL.

Potter's porter, on tap at Potter's Brewery near the Hunter Valley vineyards. Fair sessionable porter.

+1 for Toohey's old, as long as it's fresh. Once the keg has been open for more than a week, a lot of the flavour nuances drop out and starts to taste stale, FWIW.

* spelling mistake edited

I do one, on draught only though.

Tadcaster is my fav, as is Firestone Walkers Parabola.

My new trick is throwing some caco3 in the whirlpool, softers the dark malts that's for sure.

/// said:
I do one, on draught only though.

Tadcaster is my fav, as is Firestone Walkers Parabola.

My new trick is throwing some caco3 in the whirlpool, softers the dark malts that's for sure.
In the whirlpool hey. What sort of ratio you talking of there Scotty?

Cheers

Fabric softner with Enzymes ...

Been chucking about 300gm in for a 24hl batch. I havent done the calc on the total PPM fo Calcium, but adding 150gm each of Chloride and Sulphate in to the mash for 1200l. We do 2 x 12hl's to fill the fermenter if that is not apparent.

Mash pH at about 5.4, rises to about 6 in the whirlpool with that 300gm. Been dropping to the standard terminal at about 4.3, tasted great on the last batch.

Oh yeah, double check of notes, one batch we chucked in 250gm into the FV as at the end of the ferment it was a bit sharp. Softened the buggar up.

Thanks for that, have never even thought of adding at those stages. Should help with my indigestion and diarrhea as well :blink:

Well those 2 things are why I struggle with stouts, the 'acidity' (likely volume consumed) kills me.

I hadn't ever played with CO3 till Rich @ Young Henrys was seen with a stainless bowl heading to the back of the brewhouse one day at brew-camp. The batch we chucked it into the FV was to use a bad pun 'chalk and cheese'. Dropped the CO3 into the fv, gave it a squirt up the ring-hole with Co2 for a few minutes and on the next taste was like 'Darling where have you been all my life!'

Back