Recommend a stir plate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got word from our PCB fab house this morning that it will be approximately 4 weeks for delivery for the new stock because there's a hold up with the fans :(

We've changed our primary currency across to USD on the website due to the economics of our business and the plummeting AUD, but you can still pay in AUD by using the currency selector dropdown. We also created coupon codes to discount to the old price that will be valid until mid October so that anyone that missed out due to our lack of stock won't be affected.

Full details are on our blog at:
http://blog.digitalhomebrew.com/2015/08/27/its-all-about-the-benjamins/

Regards,
Michael.

any chance of updating the website so we can Pre-Order ?

Just ordered the older face plate digital stirrer today from them. Should be here by end of the week.
Cheers for everyone's help.

Michael Burton said:
Regarding the flasks, I love the 3L flasks and use them more than my 5L one. The smaller flask helps if you've gotta fit it in the fridge to decant. The 5L is still handy for high gravity and lagers though.
Unless you have 2 stirplates and 2 3l flasks then you can do 6 mighty liters...

Mwoohahahaha

Any word on the heated version mate?

Yob said:
Unless you have 2 stirplates and 2 3l flasks then you can do 6 mighty liters...

Mwoohahahaha

Any word on the heated version mate?
+1. The starters have struggled a bit this winter.

professional_drunk said:
+1. The starters have struggled a bit this winter.
Yep, the heated version is in the works, just a few more bugs to iron out so it should be ready in time for Christmas when you don't need a heater anymore :unsure:
Brewer's Stirplate Heated.jpg

Hmm, yes that heater stir plate does look good. Even though I'm in Brisbane the o/night temps drop too low for ale yeasts in the middle of winter so this would allow me to brew them year round.

I haven't brewed ales in winter for a few years because even though they ferment fine in the brew fridge, they fail to carbonate in the bottles. Now I have kegs and can force carb, it'll be no problem. :D

technobabble66 said:
Any chance of the heater version coming as a DIY kit also?
We're working on that too, the current design is a little costly to produce though so it's back to the drawing board for now.

DIY Heater disc.jpg

Got my magnetic digital stir plate today, tks Michael . Easy spins a wirlpool to the bottom with my 3 ltr flask.

Now questions for other more experienced stir platers out there.

1: how fast should I spin this wort for my starters? Full wirlpool, or just moderate half wirlpool etc.

2: if using dry yeast, can I chuck in say a satchel of us 05 or whatever, into say 2 ltrs of 1030 light malt, spin it up for say 24 hrs, then chuck it into the fermenter?
I got some recultured coopers yeast from their stubbies I use on the sparkling and pale ale clones I do which works a treat. I might put a brew down on Sunday , so might get a culture going tommoz.
Any other tips you can give a newbie.

Cheers guys.

You'd wanna rehydrate the dry yeast before putting it into a starter but it's probably not worth it anyway. I do it but only because I harvest from my starters so it's purely for that reason that I make a starter from a fresh pack of dry yeast.

Coldspace said:
Got my magnetic digital stir plate today, tks Michael . Easy spins a wirlpool to the bottom with my 3 ltr flask.

Now questions for other more experienced stir platers out there.

1: how fast should I spin this wort for my starters? Full wirlpool, or just moderate half wirlpool etc.

2: if using dry yeast, can I chuck in say a satchel of us 05 or whatever, into say 2 ltrs of 1030 light malt, spin it up for say 24 hrs, then chuck it into the fermenter?
I got some recultured coopers yeast from their stubbies I use on the sparkling and pale ale clones I do which works a treat. I might put a brew down on Sunday , so might get a culture going tommoz.
Any other tips you can give a newbie.

Cheers guys.
Mate, I've never stirred dry yeast, never needed to. It's not that expensive so I just pitch 1 gram per litre.
With regards to your stir plate speed, no need to creat a vortex, just a gentle motion will do just fine and keep it at the right temperature.
Happy brewing!

Cheers,

Also if you want to harvest yeast from starters, can you leave it gently stirring away till it finishes, or is the stir plate best used for say first 24 hrs to get the yeast bred up. Then switch it off and ferment the starter away?

Cheers

I just run my usual schedule when it comes to stirring the starter, which is basically that - leave it on for the first 24 hours or so, up to 48 hours depending on activity but usually it's 24-30 hours, then switch it off and let it ferment out. On harvesting day I turn it back on for a few hours to stir it all up again before tipping some into the jar. Works quite well.

No dramas. After harvesting both flask and jar are put in the fridge. I use the crash and decant method when pitching my starters rather than pitching the whole volume of it.

Latest posts

Back