Recirculation & Oxidation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marky_mark

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just finnished my first partial AG recipe, a czech pilsener... was wondering how to avoid oxidation of the wort during recirculation before draining the mash out and before sparge water out? By not distrubing the grain bed using the bask of a spoon or paddle i'm creating a lot of splashing? Any ideas?

Also, the grain bed tended to stop the flow of the mash a few times... stuck mash... I know alot of people come across this problem... can anyone shed some light on how to get through it or avoid it all together?

Cheers,

Mark

marky_mark said:
Hey guys,

Just finnished my first partial AG recipe, a czech pilsener... was wondering how to avoid oxidation of the wort during recirculation before draining the mash out and before sparge water out? By not distrubing the grain bed using the bask of a spoon or paddle i'm creating a lot of splashing? Any ideas?

Also, the grain bed tended to stop the flow of the mash a few times... stuck mash... I know alot of people come across this problem... can anyone shed some light on how to get through it or avoid it all together?

Cheers,

Mark
[post="108115"][/post]​

Don't worry about oxidation before the boil , in fact it's good till you pitch the yeast.

So only time oxidation is a concern is after the ferment , bottling,kegging,racking etc

Batz

Batz said:
Don't worry about oxidation before the boil , in fact it's good till you pitch the yeast.

So only time oxidation is a concern is after the ferment , bottling,kegging,racking etc

Batz
[post="108130"][/post]​

Batz

I sort of disagree here. Hot Side Aeration (of the mash or hot wort) can be a problem causing issues with oxidation of the final product. It is not usually a problem in home brewing and marky_mark will have plenty of other things to sort out before he worries about HSA.

Cheers
Pedro

Gulf Brewery said:
Batz said:

Batz
[post="108130"][/post]​

Batz

I sort of disagree here. Hot Side Aeration (of the mash or hot wort) can be a problem causing issues with oxidation of the final product. It is not usually a problem in home brewing and marky_mark will have plenty of other things to sort out before he worries about HSA.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="108132"][/post]​

Well could be Pedro
I personally don't believe I have ever experienced HSA,and many other brewers feel the same.
Now this is not to say it does not happen or it has not happened to me and I can't tell.
But after many years of AG brewing IMO, HSA is just a crock of LME

Plenty been done on this subject before

Cheers
Batz

Latest posts

Back