Recipes Expressed As Percentages

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybodys recipes are crap.

Cept mine.

the_new_nick

you missed out the point that in the OP, you doctored what Brewmate spits out by default to exclude the OG etc... it provides that info. If some tosser decides to intentionally delete it out, name and shame... and link.

Great comments so far, but I think my original point has been lost. Sure it is probably most effective to post as percentages, but just posting a recipe as raw percentages is as useful as

View attachment 50217

At the risk of thrashing this to death, here is the grain bill for the following recipe:

Mega Pakibasher Lager:

50% BB Pils
50% Weyermann Vienna... etc

View attachment 50218

If I just post this recipe without OG then this is all you have to work with, at the end of the day. My point was that this is a common fault with guys posting percentage recipes.
Bribie,
This was covered pretty well in posts 2,4,12,and 14 and probably a few others and this led to a pretty good discussion of the value or otherwise of posting recipes in this format.
IMO this has been one of the more sensible and civilised discussions on AHB in a while. :icon_cheers: Well, until the last couple of posts. :rolleyes:
Good topic.
Nige

Speaking of percentages, is there a linky that goes through how to use it to produce a 23L batch for example, to calculate how many grams hops, etc .
i am just looking for something that might mention something
i may have forgotten or not be aware of.

Thanks,

R

No it doesn't, you are exporting 'forum freindly'. Try exporting 'normal' and you will get this information which is better IMHO.

Thanks Brad - I'd never thought to bother with normal.

The other thing with posting in kg, rather than % - is that you can post L of recipe into beer mate, then recipe as kg/g , and then change the size of your recipe (eg from 23 to 52 L) and the grains and malts adjust themselves as a result.

Goomba

Speaking of percentages, is there a linky that goes through how to use it to produce a 23L batch for example, to calculate how many grams hops, etc .
i am just looking for something that might mention something
i may have forgotten or not be aware of.

Thanks,

R
Not exactly sure this is what you are after but here is a link to an article by butters on how to use these figures to enter a recipe into Beersmith.
Was written before BS2 came out but process is much the same.
http://brewadelaide.com/forum/index.php?to...3.msg389#msg389

Bribie,
This was covered pretty well in posts 2,4,12,and 14 and probably a few others and this led to a pretty good discussion of the value or otherwise of posting recipes in this format.
IMO this has been one of the more sensible and civilised discussions on AHB in a while. :icon_cheers: Well, until the last couple of posts. :rolleyes:
Good topic.
Nige

You might have to concede defeat on this one BribieG. If Ross weighed in as well it would probably complete the list of the most respected and reliable founts of knowledge on here against you (alongside Tony, TB et al). Now when can we get the Database converted to % :p

I tell ya...... I have got to know promash very very well and its got to the point where i couldnt be bothered trying to learn a new program....... but sometimes........

Im promash all you can do is enter the malts and up and down the amounts to get the percentages right. Would be awsome to just enter the % i want..... i formulate recipes by % in my head mostly.

cheers

Exactly, I think in Promash too - haven't ever brewed without it! On the plus side it really does everything you want. If I want to scale a recipe based on my own efficiency I change the batch size up or down till I get the target OG, then I tick 'lock ingredients to batch size' and set the volume back to where I want it and bingo bango.

oh no, not another recipe with no OG, batch size and IBU available, what to do, what to do....

"g'day cobber, i just stumbled upon your recipe which is expressed in percentages, i quite like the look of it but there appears to be no OG, batch size and IBU available, any chance you could post them ?"

"gday blow in, sure thing mate, here you go, enjoy the beer and let me know how it turns out etc etc blah blah blah..."

:icon_cheers:

Here is a professional recipe lifted from the Weyermann Almanac, might give some idea of what information is really needed to make a true copy of a beer, please note this is setup for both American and rest of the world professional brewers.
MHB
View attachment 50239

There's your problem Bribie, you need to include some brewing trivia with each of your recipes.

Here is a professional recipe lifted from the Weyermann Almanac, might give some idea of what information is really needed to make a true copy of a beer, please note this is setup for both American and rest of the world professional brewers.
MHB
View attachment 50239

The ULTIMATE ALMANAC of WORLD BEER RECIPIES.

That name is a bit too wishy washy, doesn't get to the point of what it's about. :)

I prefer % but as others have said there needs to be OG, efficiency and total IBU.
Efficiency is another thing in itself though, the age old question of what type are they using?

Efficiency is not needed, and brewhouse efficiency is useless anyway. Just throw away half your beer before you add it to the fermenter and how is that change in efficiency going to affect the recipe?

If you are posting IBUs it would be a good idea to bracket the IBU formula used. It makes more of a difference than the a/a variance year to year!

Efficiency is not needed, and brewhouse efficiency is useless anyway. Just throw away half your beer before you add it to the fermenter and how is that change in efficiency going to affect the recipe?

Thanks mate, i worked that one out at post 21 in this thread :icon_cheers:

Thinking about it again as long as you have the OG you should be able to adapt the recipe to your system

Thanks mate, i worked that one out at post 21 in this thread :icon_cheers:

Yep, OG and IBU. :D and then i muddled things up with my trouble with (extract) efficiency.

Back