RecipeDB - Young's special london ale clone attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Young's special london ale (bottled version) was the inspiration. As mentioned I would prefer the word homage to clone but can't change it due to editing limits on the site. You'll note though that the db states 'clone attempt' not clone.

My recipe uses the same hops (fuggles, target and EKG) as suggested by youngs on the label and on their website - I don't know the exact amounts and struggled to find much info when I first looked. Their website also suggests marris otter and crystal as used in my recipe. Again the amounts are not specified but I think my Christmas cake is using flour and eggs, sugar and butter just like the original recipe.

I was given a recipe from screwtop for the draught version when I asked here last year for suggestions which I tweaked to suit the statistics of the bottled that I knew (higher abv etc) and my system and efficiency. As suggested also in recent posts, I'd like to try this with the correct young's yeast - it just isn't readily available (WY PC only)

Ended up with a lovely beer that was worth sharing and has some similar characteristics to Youngs (minus the metal I've experienced in the last couple of bottles).

Is Graham Wheeler's recipe from the brewery or is it simply his attempt at a clone? Have you brewed it? How close was it? What differences are there? There is no Young's ESB as far as I know - only special london ale which fits the description of an ESB.

Cheers

Young's special london ale (bottled version) was the inspiration. As mentionedI would prefer the word homage to clone but can't change it. You'll note though that the db states 'clone attempt' not clone.

The special london ale uses the same hops (fuggles, target and EKG) as suggested by youngs on the label - I don't know the exact amounts and struggled to find much info when I first looked. Their website also suggests marris otter and crystal as used in this recipe. Again the amounts are not specified but I think my Christmas cake is using flour and eggs, sugar and butter just like the original recipe.

I was given a recipe from screwtop for the draught version when I asked here last years for suggestions which I tweaked to suit the statistics of the bottled that I knew (higher abv etc) and my system and efficiency. As suggested also in recent posts, I'd like to try this with the correct young's yeast - it just isn't readily available (WY PC only)

Ended up with a lovely beer that was worth sharing.

Thank's for clearing things up.
Graham Wheelers book lists an award winning recipe, I am not sure whether it is an authentic recipe or one that he thinks fits the bill. I have brewed this recipe but back in my early brewing days, I was happy to drink it but I am not sure that it would have won any prizes !
I was'nt being rude about the Christmas cake analygy, thanks for your time.

Is Graham Wheeler's recipe from the brewery or is it simply his attempt at a clone? Have you brewed it? How close was it? What differences are there? There is no Young's ESB as far as I know - only special london ale which fits the description of an ESB.

Cheers

From the young's website:
Special London Ale is an absolute classic, a winner of many awards. Why? Despite its strength it's sublimely drinkable. The malty richness is countered by huge amounts of hops to create a perfectly balanced, wonderfully aromatic, dry, fruity flavour. This live beer is matured in the bottle for a fuller, fresher flavour. Serve cool, pouring gently to leave the sediment in the bottle.

100% malt brew: Maris Otter and crystal malt and a phenomenal amount of Fuggle and Goldings hop. Golding and Target hops are added after fermentation which creates an exciting fresh and hoppy bouquet. Fresh yeast and wort are added at bottling to continue the maturation as a live ale

I always use the term "attempt" as in "Old Speckled Hen attempt" or "Camerons Strongarm attempt" because to make a true clone the recipe goes something like:

Buy several hectares of land in rural Oxfordshire
Build a Victorian tower brewery
After 130 years add some new coppers
Marry Elizabeth Higgins and thus get a controlling interest in the Brewery
Sign contracts with Kent hop suppliers
Employ Ben Smith and Arnold Wright as brewers

:p :p

GW's book is a good pointer in the right direction, but as the man himself says the recipes can vary quite significantly within a brewery itself due to differing quality of ingredients in different seasons, availability of hop and grain varieties... and it's to the credit of the brewers that they can crank out a very consistent brew year after year even in the middle of a hop failure shit storm like we had a couple of years ago or the developing grain crisis. :super:

Latest posts

Back