RecipeDB - Toucan Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Reaction score

Toucan Dark Ale

Ale - English Old/Strong Ale
Kit & Kilo
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Coopers Dark Ale, Coopers Lager, 1kg Coopers Brewing Sugar(800g dextrose 200g maltodextrin), 500g LDME mine started at 1071 and finished at 1023. Spreadsheet shows 53 IBU's but I wouldn't call it bitter. I am very happy with it(my third brew)

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
1.7 kg Coopers LME - Dark
1.7 kg Coopers LME - Light
0.8 kg Dextrose
0.5 kg Generic DME - Light

Yeast

11 g DCL Yeast T-58 - SafBrew Specialty Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.068 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.018 (calc)
  • Bitterness 0 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 6.51%
  • Colour 39 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Im interested in your choice of yeast for this beer? what kind of esters did it throw? wat temp did u brew at? ive used T-58 for belgians as it usually contributes the kind of esters and phenolics that people seek out for belgian style beers!

I used T-58 because it is marketed as a good yeast for high ABV beers, I am thinking of trying Nottingham ale yeast next time. I am a noob so can't really tell you too much about the esters sorry.

Was brewed at about 22C-24C

Yeah, good idea to try the same recipe with a different yeast. Try and save a bottle of each and do a side by side test to compare the yeast characteristics, then you can work out which one achieves better results.

BTW - your recipe doesnt have any hops in it????

Cheers

I did a half arsed dry hop with fuggles, but only for about 2 days and don't think they made any difference, so left them off the DB no other hops, figuired the dark ale would make it bitter enough.

did i miss something? u only used unhopped malt extract right or was it a kit?

read the brewers notes at the bottom bro

Im interested in your choice of yeast for this beer? what kind of esters did it throw? wat temp did u brew at? ive used T-58 for belgians as it usually contributes the kind of esters and phenolics that people seek out for belgian style beers!

Just saw this on the Craftbrewer website

Fermentis T-58, is a speciality yeast selected for its estery & somewhat
peppery & spicy flavour development. Great in Belgians & strong English Ales

Got all the ingredients for the Nottingham version so it will have to be next or there will be none of the T-58's left to compare :lol:

Hey totally agree with trying alternate yeasts in a tried and tested brew recipe... I am a fan of London and Burtons yeasts and think either would go well in this recipe:) IMO anyway .. I have not had much joy with use of goo's before but will be giving this a go..

Cheers....

Matt

Yeh the yeast was all wrong for this type of beer, much more appropriate in a belgian.

I remember guzzling a lot of this at the time, but not really into it now.

Back