RecipeDB - the King's Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbirbeck

Reaction score

the King's Kolsch

Ale - Kölsch
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Double decoction 55, 63, 70. Fermented at 18. Water was rainwater with additions to plzen type water. First hop addition (10G) was actually FWH for some aroma without adding late hops.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.6 kg Powells Pilsner (Powells Malts)
0.2 kg Powells Wheat (Powells Malts)

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
45 g Saphir (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)
10 g Saphir (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Wyeast Labs 2565 - Kolsch Yeast
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.048 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 27.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.68%
  • Colour 4 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

just curious, why did you ferment at 18 i thought kolsch yeast was ment to be about 14-16.

just curious, why did you ferment at 18 i thought kolsch yeast was ment to be about 14-16.

Kolsch yeast's range is 13 -21, the BJCP guidlines indicate 15-18 with some breweries up around the 21 mark. BJCP also indicates that the higher end increases the fruitiness which I decided to use more so than hop flavour and aroma additions...

I started it around the 16 mark and let it warm itself up to 18 over the early ferment so that the fruitiness was more subtle seeing everything about the style is subtle. Most of the ferment was around the 18 mark.

Looks delicious! Adding it to the 'to brew' list (will have to arrange a yeast sample trade! :icon_cheers: )

Latest posts

Back