RecipeDB - Solly Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score

Solly Cerveza

Lager - American Lager
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

This version uses US-05 at 17 degrees but a suitable USA - compatable lager yeast could be used, with lower fermentation temperatures

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg BB Galaxy Pale Malt
1 kg Rice Solids
0.5 kg Rice Syrup

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
20 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 90mins)

Yeast

11.5 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
24L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.059 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 27.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.72%
  • Colour 6 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 10 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Do you not use brewing software Bribie?

If you want theres a free one here which is pretty good!

Do you not use brewing software Bribie?

If you want theres a free one here which is pretty good!

I've downloaded the trial version of BeerSmith but didn't register for it, I'm more of a chef than a scientist :) Sure some software would probably be helpful for extremely experimental brews like the Cerveza but for the beers I like, UK Bitters etc I've got it pretty well nailed down nowadays.

Having said that if I ever move into Germans and Pilseners then might go a bit more testicle technical :p

BribieG, would you recommend this brew for a 2nd BIAB?
I would like to give it a crack but am cautious due to reading that these style are easier to distinguish when something fooks up.
What you rekon?

Yes it actually is good as a BIAB exercise because it's basically a single malt single hop brew so you can concentrate on the mechanics of it rather than worrying about weighing heaps of things out, hop additions etc. If you need to buy in hops for this then probably try Galena which is the American hop they put in Corona etc.

Just remember to ferment it cool, don't hurry it and a good long cold crash and it should turn out fine :icon_cheers:

Also the rice shouldn't be a worry as long as you cook it to a good mush and get the mixture as close to strike water temp as possible (say 3 degrees above the temp of the mash) and pour the rice goop in last so it doesn't get down and hide in creases in the bag.

Hey just wondering what mash schedule you should use with this recipe. Just tossing up wether to do a protein rest.

Cheers

Well i just did a protein rest, thought i might aswell.

Yes wouldn't do any harm, but most modern malts like Galaxy are pretty well converted and I usually go for a single infusion mash. The only time I've used a protein rest is when I did a SMASH bohemian pilsener with boh. pilsener malt. Turned out ok.

Funny this thread should pop up, Brewer Pete is doing it, or similar when he gets his bag from Gryphon and I've just done a version but used NZ hops instead and went higher IBU (Green Bullet plus Motueka) .. Kiwiveza? :wacko: :wacko:

Yea im just about to cool it down ready for ferment. I did the protein rest cause i read on here that it helps for the rice sugar conversion. But should be good thirst quencher. Im mainly doing it for me dad in law (he likes corona's).

Ohh and i also used Barret Buston. Thats the only pale malt i can get down here without getting it posted. And i wanted to do it today so it had to be that.

I'm doing a recipe with a different grain bill but the same principle of using US-05 at low temps.
Bribie, do you pitch a built up starter, just a rehydrated sachet, 1 dry sachet or 2 dry sachets?
I've pitched one sachet dry but I'm wondering if doing this with an ale yeast at low temps will cause any funky flavours from stressing the yeast, or is this not an issue?

HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

I only used 1 and no starter and mine fired in no time.

I have to be different as I built my own stone ground flour mill so I will be milling my rice into fresh flour of coarseness of fine semolina if I can sort out my stone plate pressure setting and get it dialed in before running through a while kilo of rice.

I am also using Japonica strain of rice so not your typical Aussie short grain rice. Can not get Galena yet but the LHBS owner whom I am making Sake with said he might get some in next time he orders. For now I have USA Chinook at AAU 11.4% and BAU 3.10% to work with for hopping.

With US-05 I have had enough good experience to just do a dry pitch -- 05 being my 90% yeast of choice. And fermentation is planned at 17C although I might push it to 16C and extended the fermentation a slight amount longer.

it's all new brew setup being electric to get me through my burner being out of commision so I won't be as familiar with the equipment and efficiencies but I've half a mind to bring the malt down to about 3.7 kilos. Will sort it out as soon as I setup the electric gear in the shed which I will do now or just after somethig to eat.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I'm doing a recipe with a different grain bill but the same principle of using US-05 at low temps.
Bribie, do you pitch a built up starter, just a rehydrated sachet, 1 dry sachet or 2 dry sachets?
I've pitched one sachet dry but I'm wondering if doing this with an ale yeast at low temps will cause any funky flavours from stressing the yeast, or is this not an issue?

Jono.

PM sent a couple of days ago (didn't want ppl to think I was being rude to Hefty :p ). He suggested using 2 sides of a US-05 repack a-la-Ross and it would actually be a good idea if fermenting cool, and not a waste of money as there would be plenty of yeast cake for several subsequent brews.

Cheers again Bribie, you make me sound more intelligent ;)
I've only pitched one this time (pitched it a few days before I found the thread) but will be doing two in future.
Harvesting/pitching onto yeastcake is just that bit easier and cheaper than stepping up starters.

Jono.

For benefit of the new brewers I took some photos and shot a bit of hollywood movie footage of the modified solly brew I did (less alc, i'm not as raging as Michael on that front yet, but I'll have to work on it :))

First off the rice. I wanted to make mine into flour first so I took a kilo of rice. If I had dry corn kernels I would use that instead in a heart beat, but I don't so I use rice for a drier finish
IMG_1929.JPG

Then I went into my emergency brewing room (shed) and filled the Urn with water and turned it on to reach temperature and wrapped it in sleeping bags from the Salvos.

While the Urn heated, I loaded the rice into my stone mill and put a nice tray underneath for catching the flour
IMG_1931.JPG

And turned it into a kilo of rice flour:
MOVIE HERE OF THE NEXT STEP

With the flour done, its time to work on crushing some Galaxy malted barley

First I use a pot to hold the BIAB bag, once I open the shrink wrapped Gryphon packaging
IMG_1938.JPG

I then put the bag in the pot
IMG_1940.JPG

and then under my mill table, a project I'm still working on but functionally complete...

Now comes the fun part!

Crush your grain into the BIAB bag
MOVIE HERE OF THE CRUSH STEP

Now we have a lot of crashed barley
IMG_1946.JPG

Time to add the rice flour (alternatively cook to gelatinise the rice)
IMG_1947.JPG
when adding direct be sure to then mix it thoroughly through the barley so you can no see it anymore
you know how rice likes to glue up, you don't want glue balls with powdery cores that had no water reach them!

Guess what, by this time the Urn is already approaching temperature
IMG_1948.JPG

This is where you start thinking, crap I need to stir this grain. What do I have? This is way too short but will have to do in an emergency brew session. I have a mash paddle more than a metre long but thats overkill for a BIAB brew and built for thick mash tuns not fabric bags so that stays in the brew gear room for now
IMG_1949.JPG

Now my emergency brew room is on the trailer. I have it properly weighted at the front to safely hold weight at the rear. Do not try this at home because I have no faith in you understanding the safety of weight distribution regarding them. I just have no room and I am omitting the hole in the shed roof the recent storm ripped open. I wont be doing any future brews like this as I hope to have my rental owner in fixing everything up by then.

Time to unwrap the pot and then take off the lid
IMG_1951.jpg

Then wrap the Urn with sleeping bags and let the TempMate control the Mash for the next 90 minutes.

Now take off the sleeping bags and lid and hoist the bag out and let it drain while you have the TempMate set to boiling or alternatively just disconnect the Urn and plug it directly in the wall and set its dial on nearly full power.
IMG_1953.jpg

The boiling temperature will rise slowly but suddenly ugly foam will signal the beginning of the hot break material when it does finally get hot enough
IMG_1957.JPG

but almost as quickly die down
IMG_1958.JPG

...to be continued

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

...continuing from above

Time to chuck in the hops and start the boil for 90 minutes
IMG_1959.JPG

And then just fill up your no chill cube
IMG_1962.jpg

Leave the cube to chill overnight then you can take it from there and pour it into a sterilised fermenter and pitch the yeast and put it in the fermenting fridge at 17C on the TempMate.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Back