RecipeDB - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I run up a recipe from the data base my IBU's are always off. Can somebody have a look at this and give me an opinion of why I am getting 32.1 IBU instead of what Ross has posted as ending up with 36.6?

I usually run up the author's original and then tweak the hops to end up with the same IBU's per addition with the pellets and AA% I actually have in stock if this makes sense.

I have added the NS as Bittering/Leaf with an Alpha of 11.4% and a Beta of 3% and hop use Boil if this helps.

Any ideas gurus?
Cheers
Henno

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Nelson Sauvin summer ale
Brewer: Mark
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.19 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5Grain 91.84 %
0.40 kg Wheat, Torrified (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBCGrain 8.16 %
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (80 min) Hops 17.6 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (20 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (5 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
30.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: basic ale profile
Total Grain Weight: 4.90 kg
----------------------------
basic ale profile
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Protein Rest Add 18.43 L of water at 55.0 C 52.0 C
60 min Saccrification Heat to 66.0 C over 5 min 66.0 C
10 min Mash out Heat to 75.6 C over 5 min 75.6 C

Notes:
------
30gm 0 min = added 10 mins after flame out & steeped for 20 mins before chilling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henno recipe looks fine by me. I would mash a little lower say 64-65C ish this is a great beer when it's dry.

As for Beersmith I haven't got a clue but I am sure it has to do with how your brewery equipment has been set up in there as everyones system is a little different especially with dead loss which I am 90% positive BS uses to calc IBU's? Where Butters when you need him?

Chap Chap

i dont use beersmith either but maybe you've put in whole hops or flowers instead of pellets? i know in promash it makes a differance. promash also has an option where you can change the utilisation ratio of the differant type of hops. 4ibu differance isnt much. just chuck a few mopre hops in. if it ends up being more bitter by a couple ibu similarly it wont make much differance

Whenever I run up a recipe from the data base my IBU's are always off. Can somebody have a look at this and give me an opinion of why I am getting 32.1 IBU instead of what Ross has posted as ending up with 36.6?

im no guru but there are about 4 different formula's used to calculate ibu's, beersmith's default is one and promash's default is another i don't know what the db uses but it comes out higher than tinseth ( thats the formula i use).

Thanks guys. I actually have the hops set up in BS to be 'leaf' which I gather is flowers. I assumed the difference I have is something to do with my settings just wondering how I can sort it out for next time.

I will mash it at 64 as Ross said. I just whacked in the profile for my new herms that I use with ales.

Here's what happened when I changed the same weight leaf to pellets with the AA that I have in stock for the double batch I gunna make.

Any reason I can't dry hop the 0 min addition?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Nelson Sauvin summer ale x2
Brewer: Mark
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 48.00 L
Boil Size: 53.63 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.80 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5Grain 91.84 %
0.78 kg Wheat, Torrified (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBCGrain 8.16 %
32.40 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (80 min) Hops 19.7 IBU
32.40 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (20 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
43.30 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
62.60 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
2 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: basic ale profile
Total Grain Weight: 9.59 kg
----------------------------
basic ale profile
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Protein Rest Add 36.07 L of water at 55.0 C 52.0 C
60 min Saccrification Heat to 64.0 C over 5 min 64.0 C
10 min Mash out Heat to 75.6 C over 5 min 75.6 C

Notes:
------
30gm 0 min = added 10 mins after flame out & steeped for 20 mins before chilling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Ross. What's your theory about my IBU difference?

In my experience the forum recipe software never aligns with beersmith. I use the recipe amounts, adjust for my AA% and volume, and that's it. You're replicating the recipe as closely as possible, and having a more accurate total IBU calculation wouldn't change that. Bottom line, don't worry about it.

hey guys!!

ive got a batch of this in my primary ferm at the mo....its been in there for 11 days and has pretty much fermente out at 18deg...
im gonna crash chill foe a few days then keg.

Id like some suggestions on what a good hop would be to dry hop this beer with in the keg??
Im a little stumped with what would go well with the Nelsons due to its unique grapey/ flavour???

help!

hey guys!!

ive got a batch of this in my primary ferm at the mo....its been in there for 11 days and has pretty much fermente out at 18deg...
im gonna crash chill foe a few days then keg.

Id like some suggestions on what a good hop would be to dry hop this beer with in the keg??
Im a little stumped with what would go well with the Nelsons due to its unique grapey/ flavour???

help!

My suggestion would be don't dry hop. I brewed this recently, kegging and filtering about 2 weeks ago. Even after filtering, there is plenty of hop aroma and flavour. Can't really think of anything that would improve on/compliment the NS flavour and aroma.

howdy chaps - posted this in kits and extracts to no avail so far. very interested in this recipe, but am still an extract brewer that has only begun flirting with partials.

can anyone suggest an extract/partial substitute recipe for Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale?

i will be making an order through craftbrewer for the hops - so if there's anything else from there i could use for this, suggest away!

went an had a Knappstein Reserve Lager the other day for 'research' purposes. is the Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale in the same ballpark as this?

cheers - Louie

Hey guys,

Been a few months since my last brew, and wanting to give this a go given it's good reports, but have a question.

Regarding the hops being flowers, how do I convert the weights for pellets?

Not keen on another overly bitter brew like the last disaster with the end of my chinese hops.

Cheers
Marlow

Hey guys,

Been a few months since my last brew, and wanting to give this a go given it's good reports, but have a question.

Regarding the hops being flowers, how do I convert the weights for pellets?

Not keen on another overly bitter brew like the last disaster with the end of my chinese hops.

Cheers
Marlow
Homebrew "wisdom" suggest 10% more of the flowers (dried) by weight are needed vs pellets. However it all depends on the AA% of the crop you are using so you are better off using a recipe formulation tool of some sort, which should already allow you to select pellets vs flowers.

Assuming the same aa% you could simply adjust the hops down by 10% (I seem to remember the recipe uses flowers?) but I'd highly recommend a recipe formulation tool as the best solution...

Made this as per recipe but subbed torrified wheat for normal wheat malt. Bl**dy love this beer. Go the Nelson, i find it quite a resiny hop but it's really good. After this one I have just made another with an identical grain bill but I swapped the Nelson for Motueka (because i had heaps lefft over).

Dylo

I have 50gm of NS flowers and want to make something like this but don't want to buy more NS to do so.

I'll be doing a 20L batch so there's some saving there I guess.

What would be a good bittering hop to complement this out of Chinook, Columbus, Cascade, Amarillo, Willamette and EKG?

I'm thinking EKG just because I liked it as a bittering hop for my little creatures clone. Sounds random but worked well and I have the most of that hop so need to use it up.

Im going to put this one down on the weekend. Since I no chill, I will flame out - put pot in water bath and add the 0min addition to steep until racking to fermenter. Hopefully turns out alright.

just a quick question it says 30gm 0min = added 10min after flame out.. is this the same as hot break?

just a quick question it says 30gm 0min = added 10min after flame out.. is this the same as hot break?

ahhh No! Hot break is coagulated protein from the boil and happens throughout the boil... not really a moment in time ie hop addition.

10 min after flame out is 10 min after you turn the flame out on your burner, post boil. It is just a very late addition of hops.

Good luck with AG mate.

Back