RecipeDB - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that Nelson works better (ironically) in huge amounts. In low IBU, all-nelson beers I don't like the sav blanc flavour, but in a 70 IBU IPA the sav blanc wine flavour turns into citrus ... big whacks of citrus, and the cat piss is gone.

Don't ask me why. I think a lot of things change character when used in large amounts. Coriander does the same in cooking IMO.

Just about to mashout 13KG of grain for a Galaxy Summer Ale :)

230g of Galaxy and should knockout 68L

what is the best temp to ferment this one at? i'm guessing with the us-05, 18ishC is preferred; or lower?

i'm a convert to 19C for fruity ales :)

Gets you a fast 10 day ferment, with a nice balance of fruit and crispness

(but that's wort temp... not exterior temp)

Been getting good success with WY1272 as well. Find it better than US-05, with significantly better flocculation

Stux said:

Been getting good success with WY1272 as well. Find it better than US-05, with significantly better flocculation
cheers mate,

i have a batch that i'm about to bottle now with us-05 so i'll probably just grab some of that and re-use it for now - just to keep it cheap and easy. cheers for the tip about 1272 though. might try it with another one.

Stux said:

So Stux, do you set your temp @ 18C to achieve interior wort temp of 19C?

Chunkious said:
So Stux, do you set your temp @ 18C to achieve interior wort temp of 19C?
I set temp to 19C +-0.5c (my controller only does 0.5C, i would use 0.3C with an STC), with a long thermowell through the lid, where the temp probe is dropped, which reads the wort temp. The thermowell is positioned half way between the outside wall and the centre of the fermenter... and about 1/3 up from the bottom, so I figure that's a median temperature.

I heat the fermenter with a heatbelt just above the tap, and chill it with the fridge.

Planning on brewing this one in a few days time.

Just a question regarding the 0 min addition (10mins after flameout) - what do you guys do with the earlier hop additions ... Do you take them out at flameout?.... Then wait 10 mins and add 0 min addition for 20 minutes on its own?

Cheers

Molly

Molly alot of people would be confused by your question so i'm assuming you are using a hop bag. If you're using beer smith for example, it's going to calculate the IBU's based on the hops being in the boil for the whole duration of the boil.

Therefore just add the 0 min hop additions and start chilling (i've also never heard anyone call a 0 minute addition a 10 minute addition, otherwise it would be listed as a 10 minute addition....)

Would help to know if you're no-chilling or using an immersion chiller too, as this will help others answer your question.

Hi JoshF

Sorry I might've sounded a bit vague.

In the brewers notes for Ross's Nelson summer ale recipe in this database he states the final hop addition (which is called 0 minute in the database) as actually being added 10 mins AFTER flameout and steeped for 20 minutes prior to chilling. So my question is - are the 80 min additions and so forth actually staying in the solution for that whole extra 30 mins after flameout? I've just never heard of a hop addition going in this long after flameout and being steeped for 20 mins.

And yes I do put my hops in hop bags, so was wondering whether the earlier hop additions leading up to flameout should be taken out at flameout and just leave the final (0min) addition in the wort for its 20 minutes?

Ross, if you're monitoring this thread - I'd appreciate your feedback also.

Cheers

Molly

Molly said:
Hi JoshF
In the brewers notes for Ross's Nelson summer ale recipe in this database he states the final hop addition (which is called 0 minute in the database) as actually being added 10 mins AFTER flameout and steeped for 20 minutes prior to chilling. So my question is - are the 80 min additions and so forth actually staying in the solution for that whole extra 30 mins after flameout? I've just never heard of a hop addition going in this long after flameout and being steeped for 20 mins.
And yes I do put my hops in hop bags, so was wondering whether the earlier hop additions leading up to flameout should be taken out at flameout and just leave the final (0min) addition in the wort for its 20 minutes?
Cheers
Molly
Quite often aroma hops can be added to the hot wort at around 80 deg and steeped for 20 minutes and then chilled to pitching temp.
This will generally give you excellent hop aroma to the finished beer.
Kind of a poor mans hop back if you know what I mean :)

Thanks dicko

I think I'll take out all the previous additions and do as you say.

Cheers

Molly

Molly said:
Hi JoshF

Cheers

Molly
No, dont remove any hops. No need. After 80 mins, the bittering effect is finished anyway. The shorter times will be calculated for in the recipe. So, by removing anything you will change the recipe. For example if there is a 5 min addition, it would be calculated to be in the wort for the entire 35mins. As it is flameout after 5mins (from this example) basically (not exactly) you get 5 mins worth of bittering and 30 mins worth of aroma out of that hop. Removing them would reduce the aroma/flavour aspect of that addition. As I said, not exactly how it would be in practice, but you get the idea I hope :)

Have put down a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale using, for the first time, the Mangrove Jacks American Ale (M55 I think). Hope it comes out just as good if not better than previous batches :)

Katie said:
mmmmm try it with galaxy
I made it with NS, the hop bitterness is there, maybe a bit bitey for my virgin AG palate, but it still drags me back for more and more...I'm not sure if it's too much of a bitey hops forward taste or not compared to the original (haven't tasted the original yet), but I'd definitely add the bitterness additions a bit later next time to make it slightly more quaffable IMO. I like the idea Katie, I'm going to try this one with galaxy and then citra as it's a really nice brew and as I think Ross pointed out, a good brew for trying different hops.

I tasted the beer in person circa 2010 and I thought it was very nice but very bitter.

Now it wouldn't register on the radar bitterness wise.

Nothing to do with AG newbie, everything to do with lupulin-threshold shift.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I tasted the beer in person circa 2010 and I thought it was very nice but very bitter.
Now it wouldn't register on the radar bitterness wise.
Nothing to do with AG newbie, everything to do with lupulin-threshold shift.
That's a golden post Goomba, thanks, it's nice to have some terminology to explain what's happening to my evolving palate too (still virgin-ish though). two years ago anything non-megaswill was too hoppy (bitterness and taste) for me and SWMBO. Now we love IPAs (haven't tried a double yet, but keen to), and the NSSA is growing on us literally with every glass it seems, I bought some megaswill beer last night (I don't think I'll bother in future) and I wanted more of everything hops can provide in it... Last week SWMBO drank a mega-swill, looked in the glass and said "not enough hops!" She was dead right imo too, not enough anything in it, not enough bitterness, taste or aroma.. and it was a lightbulb moment for both of us that something was happening to our taste preferences...WHAT HAVE YOU PEOPLE DONE TO US?!?! ;)

The other night she called from Uncle Dan's and asked if I wanted anything, I did a quick google of their IPAs and some reviews and asked her for a few of the Feral Brewing Hop Hog, what a great beer that I wouldn't have liked two years ago probably, now I'm on a mission to try every respected IPA I can!

so I'm sure after playing with the hop additions for this recipe and aiming for a little lower IBUs, in a brew or three we'll be back at the original hop additions, craving some hoppyness. It might have been something wrong with my brewing technique too? JMaybe by the end of the keg I won't change anything lol. Galaxy will be next probably though, anyone tried Simcoe with this recipe? Thoughts? One thing I did do was no-chill and throw the FV (have bought cubes since) straight into my brew fridge, someone pointed out that this might not be the best method, so my last brew I just left the cubes outside overnight to cool.

We had a blind-tasting beer night after work (it was great, blind as in blind-scoring, not as in dribbling saliva down the front of my shirt, yelling at people that I love them), we tried a heap of local and international tasty (craft I guess is the right term? Dunno) beers like little creatures bright ale, fat yak pale ale etc, then the last beer was a megaswill, which is historically a pretty good session beer for me and other people at the tasting but after all the amazing flavours of the other beers, the megaswill scored very poorly.

It's 4:27am, I'm probably rambling, not enough sleep thanks to a mongrel-guts barking incessantly down the road which has become its nighttime hobby lately, so if any part of this post didn't make sense, sorry!

Do I like this recipe though - yes.

Will I brew it again - absolutely.

Do I hate the owner of that dog down the road right now - bloody oath.

Stux said:
Got my third batch of NSSA kegged the other day. Good news is I'm pretty happy with my No Chill version now. Tried mixing it up a bit for the 2nd batch... and went back to my original version, and yes, its good. Good Aroma, Flavour and Bittering :)

I use 5 additions.

The key is to use a french press to add the aroma back into the fermenter after krausen dies down. I place the hops in a french press (ie coffee plunger) fill with boiling water, stir and let stew for 1 minute, press and pour into the fermenter, then refill the plunger, stir and let stew for 5 minutes, repress an repour.

I would use no more than 10g per cup. Ie if you have a 4 cup press, only use 40g at a time!

My hop additions are

60 min, 20 min, 5 min and whirlpool. The whirlpool is done 10 minutes after cutting the heat, and I let the whirlpool sit for 10-20 minutes before siphoning into my cubes.

When calculating the first four additions I enter them into BeerSmith as 70 min, 30 min, 15 min and 0 min, and then essentially I add the hops 10 minutes later than indicated.

Used pellets this time, last time was flowers, similar results.

for a 60L batch I used

15g 11.3% 70min 7.3 IBUs
40g 11.3% 30min 14.4 IBUs
55g 11.3% 15min 12.8 IBUs
80g 11.3% 0min 0 IBUs 1.15g/L (end of boil vol)
80g 11.3% aroma 0 IBUs 1.33g/L (fermenter vol)

total of 34.5 IBUs

(remembering that the hops are put in 10 mins later than indicated on the recipe)

Calculate your last two additions based on End of Boil and Fermenter volumes, then the previous 2 additons to target the rough IBUs, then the first addition should bring you up to about 34.5 IBUs

Polychlar BrewBrite, Wyeast Nutrient and Wyeast 1272.

Ferment at 17.5C for 2 weeks, then crash to 0.5C for 1 week and keg.

Yummy
Hey Stux, thanks for posting in such great detail right through this thread, posts like this (and others by other members) really help me as a new AG brewer and I really appreciate it.

Nick.

There is a caveat to lupulin threshold shift. Well 2 really.

Even if IPA remain your favourite beer (as they have with me), they aren't the centre of the brewing universe - so it means that you have to make an effort to try the robust porters, cream ales, real Boh Pils of the world. Otherwise you'll turn into a hipster :p - there is still beauty in simplicity.

2nd big one - every so often, embark on a palate cleansing week or fortnight - something to reset the tastebuds down, so that you can still taste hops. I usually choose Boag's Draught to do this, though I have done it with Coopers Sparkling or the resurrected beers from the majors (Brisbane Bitter did it for me a few years ago). It gets you back to 20IBU and you can try all beers again with a clean palate.

Oh, my Mrs is the same with IPA, I've still got to educate her yet. She had the bling bling the other day and only remarked afterwards that she felt like it was higher in alcohol than it tasted.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
There is a caveat to lupulin threshold shift. Well 2 really.

Even if IPA remain your favourite beer (as they have with me), they aren't the centre of the brewing universe - so it means that you have to make an effort to try the robust porters, cream ales, real Boh Pils of the world. Otherwise you'll turn into a hipster :p - there is still beauty in simplicity.

2nd big one - every so often, embark on a palate cleansing week or fortnight - something to reset the tastebuds down, so that you can still taste hops. I usually choose Boag's Draught to do this, though I have done it with Coopers Sparkling or the resurrected beers from the majors (Brisbane Bitter did it for me a few years ago). It gets you back to 20IBU and you can try all beers again with a clean palate.

Oh, my Mrs is the same with IPA, I've still got to educate her yet. She had the bling bling the other day and only remarked afterwards that she felt like it was higher in alcohol than it tasted.
I just had a porter and a stout, both from club members and they were both exceptional, two years ago I thought a porter carried your luggage, now I can easily have a few, couldn't drink them all night though. I haven't had a cream ale yet, have seen some recipes so might try it.

Last glass of NSSA tonight from a full keg and it wasn't as bitey-bitter, really really enjoyed it, have a few litres in another keg that I haven't keg hopped, I'll keg hop that with a few grams and try my best to leave it for six days, not sure if I'll have any luck there though! Ten days till I can keg my latest batch though, it's the "sticks and stones" recipe by Daemon, one cube galaxy, one cube simcoe. fortunately will have two full kegs of it though!

Latest posts

Back