RecipeDB - Neill's Centenarillo Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been two weeks in the bottle and i am pretty chuffed with the outcome :chug:
My only variation was to add 250g of Carapils that I had lying about waiting to be used.

It has a nice level of bitterness and good hop flavour and aroma. swmbo and my bro both enjoyed their pints and i'm certain a few mates into apas will enjoy this one as well.

Cheers!

Hey guys,

Im just about to put down my second batch of this and im wanting to try bulk priming and gelitin for the first time. Does 160gms of dextrose for a 22ltr batch @ 20c sound to much? Pretty much every beer ive ever made has been too under carbornated for my liking, im after the co2 levels of a more commercial beer like coopers pale.

One more quick question, my beers always get flat really quickly, before i finish the pint! Is this maybe because im not chilling them for long enough in the fridge? Any other ideas?

Hey guys,

Am going to try to make this one based on some comments ive seen around the forums. just a few questions.

1. i cant seem to find the Danstar - Nottingham yeast from any of the sponsors above, and my LHBS doesnt stock it.. can this be substituted with anything else

2. what temp? 18-20 ok?

3. finings... have not used these before... do you just add them to the fermenter a few days prior to bottling??

Cheers.

Thanks for post this one Neill, I followed the recipe on this one the first time round, barring the clearing agent, and am very pleased with the result, this recipe is going on high rotation from now on :beer:

Hey guys,

Am going to try to make this one based on some comments ive seen around the forums. just a few questions.

1. i cant seem to find the Danstar - Nottingham yeast from any of the sponsors above, and my LHBS doesnt stock it.. can this be substituted with anything else

2. what temp? 18-20 ok?

3. finings... have not used these before... do you just add them to the fermenter a few days prior to bottling??

Cheers.

1. I use US05 which is dead common and equally good.
2. Yes
3. Don't worry too much about them, you probably won't notice a difference anyway.

Hey team,

So this was my first extract brew after moving up from K&B...Such a good drop, I am amazed by the increase in quality from my 'old' brews. However, Im knocking them over too quick and will soon need to brew again. Also have DrSmurto's Golden Ale fermenting as we speak.

In any case, what other variations to the ingredients (leaving the hops the same) have people tried? I used 1.8 kg Muntons Light LME and 1.5kg of light DME, no Dex in my first brew.

I see some were talking about adding specialty grains, which Im keen to do. What would work and how much is a good starting point? Would I need to lower the malt when including grain (will play around with extract designer to see what works). I want to keep brewing this beer and trying to tweak it and make it even better than it is. Increasing body and mouth feel from grains etc is a start...i may also dry hop this bad boy as Im keen to get even more aroma.

anyways, great drop Neill, looking forward to brewing it again!

Cheers,
Salt.

Hey team,

So this was my first extract brew after moving up from K&B...Such a good drop, I am amazed by the increase in quality from my 'old' brews. However, Im knocking them over too quick and will soon need to brew again. Also have DrSmurto's Golden Ale fermenting as we speak.

In any case, what other variations to the ingredients (leaving the hops the same) have people tried? I used 1.8 kg Muntons Light LME and 1.5kg of light DME, no Dex in my first brew.

I see some were talking about adding specialty grains, which Im keen to do. What would work and how much is a good starting point? Would I need to lower the malt when including grain (will play around with extract designer to see what works). I want to keep brewing this beer and trying to tweak it and make it even better than it is. Increasing body and mouth feel from grains etc is a start...i may also dry hop this bad boy as Im keen to get even more aroma.

anyways, great drop Neill, looking forward to brewing it again!

Cheers,
Salt.

Crystal is the most common type used but any of the "Cara" malts are suitable for steeping.
Suggest you take a look at Craftbrewer list of malts it describes them all fully and the expected results you can expect.

Craftbrewer Malts and extracts

For this recipe 250g of light or medium crystal would be nice. I tend to use 200-300g of crystal in all of my Kits and Bits.

I will be kegging this baby tonight. I added 250g Crystal (120) and am looking forward to it.

Going to brew my second batch of this brew on Sunday...first one was awesome and didnt last nearly long enough.

My Centenarillo version 2.0;

3kg Black Rock Light LME
500g Light DME
250g Dextrose
250g Cara Pils
US-05
Centennial 20g @ 30min
Amarillo 40g @ 15min
Amarillo 40g @ 5min
rack to secondary onto gelatine and dry hop 15g each

It will be an impatient wait for it to be conditioned and ready to drink...should be good to go for the RWC when the ABs dominate and smash the aussies again.

urgh my LHBS didnt have coopers light liq malt extract. i ended up with morgans master malt extract lager pale, think this will still work? its unhopped apparently.

4 days in the fermenter, smells unreal! probably won't be ready in time for chrissie thou :(

sitting at 20C can't really get it down with this heat without a fridge, is that ok?

Can anyone corroborate Neil's take on the AA% of the hops? My LHBS had both hops at just over 9% - if I convert the weights based on the recipe AA of 6% will this be ok? I understand I want to aim around 30 IBU but that obviously doesn't gauge the aroma/flavours. Help would be much appreciated!
I also couldn't get Danstar Notto so am going with Wyeast American Ale II 1272 - will this result in a totally different beer?

Can anyone corroborate Neil's take on the AA% of the hops? My LHBS had both hops at just over 9% - if I convert the weights based on the recipe AA of 6% will this be ok? I understand I want to aim around 30 IBU but that obviously doesn't gauge the aroma/flavours. Help would be much appreciated!
I also couldn't get Danstar Notto so am going with Wyeast American Ale II 1272 - will this result in a totally different beer?
That's my go to yeast, it will make beautiful beer.

I'm a bit bummed with this brew, I cooked it up a coupl;e of weeks ago and popped in the FV. I fermented it at about 18C for the first 7 days, using blocks of ice and wet towels to control the temp. After this the SG was down at 1.010, so I thought I'd give it a D-rest before bottling. At this stage, the brew tasted pretty good and smelled great, so I stopped with the ice and let the temp come up to ambient - during the week it got quite warm and this got as high as 26C so I popped a wet towel over it to bring it back down. Fast forward to the weekend, I drew a sample just to see what was up and ******* bananas! The smell was almost overpowering! I've bottled it anyway to see how it goes, but I think my D-rest temperatures have killed it. I was under the impression that these kinds of off flavours are more often produced at the beginning of the attenuative phase. When I stopped with the ice I knew the yeast may have a little more work to do, but I thought I was safe.

What do people think? Is this likely to be where I cocked up? what's the warmest people tend to D-rest at without incident?

Threw another one of these down on the weekend, great keg filler for summer!

Hey guys,
Sorry, the recipe DB is down.
Can someone post the recipe here?

Latest posts

Back