RecipeDB - Neill's Centenarillo Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neill

Reaction score

Neill's Centenarillo Ale

Ale - American Pale Ale
Extract
* * * * * 29 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Do a 5L boil, add 1/3 of one of the LME tins to the boil then add your hop additions. After the boil is done, strain it into the fermenter, add the rest of your LME and the Dex to get the gravity around 1050-1060, cool and pitch Nottingham or US-05 as desired.

Centennial 20g @ 30mins
Amarillo 40g @ 20 mins
Amarillo 40g @ 10 mins

Feel free to dry hop it with more Amarillo or Centennial, but it seriously doesn't need it - there is 100g of fruity hops in there at 30 mins or less so it has a huge aroma. I racked this onto some gelatine and it came out very clear.

Extremely fruity and tasty with about 30IBU, a great beer!

Note: I am unsure what the AA% is on these hops but it came out at 31IBU when i calculated it on my spreadsheet. Aim for 30-40 and adjust the hop boil slightly as needed.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3 kg Coopers LME - Light
0.5 kg Dextrose

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
40 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 20mins)
40 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 10mins)
20 g Centennial (Pellet, 10.0AA%, 30mins)

Yeast

11 ml Danstar - Nottingham
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.05 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 55.4 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.94%
  • Colour 7 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 10 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Looking good, Neill. This is on the list for summer for sure! Thanks for putting this up.

Hey Neill,

The hops in the recipe are both stated at 6% AA.

Is this what you used, or just a default value? Just trying to work out if I need to adjust my hop volumes?

Cheers

read the bottom of his notes bloke
if you use 9.7% for centennial and 8.6% for the Amarillo it will be around 31 IBU

Hi Neill
Is the only reason for adding the dextrose to up the OG to desired levels? The LME I can get comes in 1.8L cans (of which I'll be adding 2), so adding the dextrose may be unnecessary?
Cheers
Juz

edit: or perhaps I could just add a couple of liters of water (to 25L). Spreadsheet seems to think both would work?

The dextrose dries the body of the beer out a little, making sure its not too sweet as malt extract can often leave that quality in a beer.

put this down today. my hops wer up around 8-9% though so i toned them down a little.

only hickup was while i was rehydrating the yeast i heard the makings of a boil over so raced over and started to stir while holdin the yeast packet upside down above the wort.... alot of dead(im assuming dead) yeasties floating around in there) pitched the half pack i had left and will wait and c if it takes off. hopefully it does cause my LHBS doesnt stock notto so i have to order from craftbrewer

Tried my first bottle today after only 5 days of carbing. Definately undercarbed, hope it will pick up. Very nice aroma, but the after taste is a bit on the bitter side.

That's what I'm waiting for. It has already gotten better during the last two weeks of cold conditioning, but I reckon I will let it sit for at least two more weeks before I even try it again, possibly even until I am back from Germany, which is mid June. Kind of regret using carb drops, hope it will pick up dramatically. just did not have the nerve to bulk prime.

Will concentrate on my other brews and forget about this one for a while.

2days still no sign of life, dont have any notto left, so i pitched 2 packs of coopers yeast. i know it wont be the same but im sure it will still be beer

I no Chilled my version and found it to be a tad too bitter although quite flavorsome. I pretty closely followed the recipe as well. Only been in the bottle 2 1/2 weeks so will see how she goes in another month or so.

Does any one have an AG version of this yet?

Have done the extract version and bloody beautiful, now that I've turned to the dark side I want to try it in an AG. :beerbang:

That's what I'm waiting for. It has already gotten better during the last two weeks of cold conditioning, but I reckon I will let it sit for at least two more weeks before I even try it again, possibly even until I am back from Germany, which is mid June. Kind of regret using carb drops, hope it will pick up dramatically. just did not have the nerve to bulk prime.

Will concentrate on my other brews and forget about this one for a while.

so how did this finish up is it a goa...

Gibbo, i made an ag version, it was very tasty!

It was made from

2.4 kg bb ale malt
.8 wheat
.8 munich
.25 cara munich

Mashed at 65

I used slightly less hops then the centarillo but for the life of me i didn't write it down.

I think it was

20 cent @ 60

10 ama @ 20
10cent @ 20

OR
20 ama @ 20 This is where i am having trouble, i can't remember if i did 20g of ama here or 10 of each.

15 ama @ 10

Dryhop with a handful of amarillo

The grain bill is from dr smurtos golden ale

Whatever i put in it it was a very tasty drop. I made a few batches of it and they were all great. Was going to put a dr smurtos down tomorrow but i think i'll do the ag centarillo instead now!

Hey Ekul,

I put an AG version down, bob basic grain bill, didn't think to use Smurto's bill. Here it is.....

Centenarillo AG

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
10A-American Ale-American Pale Ale

Minimum OG: 1.045 SG Maximum OG: 1.060 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.015 SG
Minimum IBU: 30 IBU Maximum IBU: 45 IBU
Minimum Color: 9.9 EBC Maximum Color: 27.6 EBC

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 32.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 27.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 19.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG Expected OG: 1.048 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG Apparent Attenuation: 74.9 %
Expected ABV: 4.8 % Expected ABW: 3.8 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 33.9 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 15.2 EBC
BU:GU ratio: 0.70 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Australian Traditional Ale Malt 4.964 kg 88.5 % 5.2 In Mash/Steeped
Australian Crystal 140 0.324 kg 5.8 % 5.5 In Mash/Steeped
Australian Wheat Malt 0.324 kg 5.8 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Centennial 9.7 % 15 g 14.8 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
US Centennial 9.7 % 10 g 7.6 Loose Pellet Hops 30 Min From End
US Amarillo 8.6 % 15 g 8.0 Loose Pellet Hops 20 Min From End
US Amarillo 8.6 % 20 g 3.5 Loose Pellet Hops 5 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Whirlfloc Tablet 1 g In Boil

Yeast
DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Water Profile
Target Profile: No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH: 5.2
pH Adjusted with: Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm): 0 Total Magnesium (ppm): 0
Total Sodium (ppm): 0 Total Sulfate (ppm): 0
Total Chloride(ppm): 0 Total Bicarbonate (ppm): 0

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (67C/152F) with mas out

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 67 degC 60

Haven't tried it yet, still maturing but smelt great going into keg. :beerbang:

I think i'm going to give your hops schedule i crack! THanks gibbo.

I tried the hops schedule on a simple malt bill as well, it was:

3.5 kg bb ale
200g wheat
30 dark crystal

coopers yeast

(its andrewqld cpa clone but with the centarillo hops)

It took ages to come right, like 2 months and even then it wasn't quite there. I found a bottle 2 weeks ago (3 months old) and it had got so much better. It was probably the yeast though as it was really thin, and the centarillo needs a chunky malt backbon in my opinion. So yours will probably come out good with the us05.

There's another grain bill that i've tried that worked really well with it. It uses ale malt, munich II and caraaroma, the full recipe is in my brew book which is in the shed, if i remember i'll post it tomorrow. That worked really well as well.

Back