RecipeDB - Magnum Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazard

Reaction score

Magnum Pale Ale

Ale - English Pale Ale
All Grain
- - - - -

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.25 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
0.5 kg Powells Munich (Powels Malts)
0.5 kg Flaked Barley

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Fuggles (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)
30 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 60mins)
15 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 0mins)
15 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Wyeast Labs 1187 - Ringwood Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.053 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.016 (calc)
  • Bitterness 32.4 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.8%
  • Colour 9 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

I made a version of TTL based on Smurto's recipe last year, but decided to amend it based on 2 factors.
1. Feedback from Vic Brewing competition was that my beer was too "thin"
2. I bought a bottle of real TTL, and it tasted the same as mine except the real deal had double everything - double the malt, double the hops, double the mouthfeel.

So, this is what I did for my latest batch.
- added a whack of flaked barley for more body. Beersmith says this can't be used in pale beer because it causes haze. I cold conditioned for a week before bottling and have no haze at all.
- bittering hops were added as first wort hops.
- aroma hops were added to the bottling bucket as hop tea - thirst boys ULH technique. Hops were saoked in boiling water for 1 min to get aroma and tea drawn off, hops were soaked in a fresh batch of of water for another 15 minutes to get a flavour contribution.
- 2L of first runnings were reduced down to a thick caramel then added to the kettle.

SO how is it? THis was bottled on 26 Dec, and is just now coming into its prime. Its damn close to TTL IMHO, however colour is still a bit light. I still can't believe that TTL is 100% Golden Promise, unless they toast it themselves to get the colour right.

Back