RecipeDB - Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=10.5pt]G'day Angus,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]BB Ale will be fine. I find the Bairds has a more rounded, fuller and maltier feel to it (which I'd say about most malts viz. BB comparison), but I've done a British Bitter with BB Pale and found it went really well with Willamette as a good 'mate's beer' for those not into my styles of beer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]If you don't have any spec malt yet - find a good, characterful one - Simpsons, Weyermanns, TF FM - they'll have something good. Don't use Caramalt (if you don't need to) - I find it a little one dimensional - though if this is going to mates, it might be good backing off the malt a little.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Like mckenry said, I doubt anyone would notice (except me but I'm fussy).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Angus, let me know what you have (on this topic, so it's 'there' for all to see) on hand - hops wise, we might be able to squeeze something into this recipe, if you have some other good american fruity hops.[/SIZE]

And yeah, I didn't expect that from Rowy, but it'll be nice to swap again. He's had this beer before, in one of our many bottle swaps. He actually made (IIRC) a black IPA using this recipe as a base.

But this is about as close (with the odd alteration of hops,[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]based on what I had on hand/what CB had on hand) to a 'house beer' as I have.

Saweet. Just need to order the Citra and Galaxy then. Will do 2 or hopefully 3 brews over Easter weekend and start fermenting on the Easter Monday in my spare double fridge. So should have 2 or 3 kegs (and some bottles) to condition in the double fridge.

With this being a fairly aroma-driven beer, will this last kegged and at fridge temps until end of May, or will it lose a fair bit of aroma?

It'll be okay until may, but if your kegging it - I'd probably consider brewing it later any way. You can crash carbonate at any rate.

The other option may be hop teabag/something in the keg near drinking time.

Angus - let me know what hops you have in stock - we might be able to figure something out with those that will save you grabbing the above hops. Unless you want to go to CB that is :D

Chris,

I have the following hops:
  • 1 lb cascade
  • 2 lbs Saaz
  • 1 lb Nugget
  • 275g Galenas
  • 50g Northern brewer (guess)
  • 25g Pacific gem (guess)
  • 50g Hallertauer (guess)
Maybe the Galena qualifies but I'm not really up on hop substitutions yet? One page I found talks about it being a substitute for the "C" hops, but then other pages mention chinook and magnum. It reads as a good bittering hop so might be too bitter for this beer.

Yeah, nah, buy the Citra and Galaxy.

I had another brewer through the thread use Chinook in place of Cascade (which I like the sound of), but this beer fundamentally centres on those fruity, passionfruity, type of hops and those won't give it to you.

Galena - maybe in place of Cascade, but not in place of Citra or Galaxy.

It's worth buying the real thing - and either CB has it, or Yob's new business will have it.

yeh, its only $20 for the hops from CB and that will be enough for at least 3 batches so $6 / batch. I pay more for a nice bottle of beer.....

Maybe I'll only make one batch of this one for the b'day. The punters may not like anything too flavoursome.. :D

Actually making one batch now for me, and one for the party later on sounds like a great plan. Brew plan for Easter weekend!! Which means I'll need to get out to CB this weekend as I assume they are closed for Easter. Need to grab yeast for Vienna lager and hops for Lord Nelson Citra

angus_grant said:
yeh, its only $20 for the hops from CB and that will be enough for at least 3 batches so $6 / batch. I pay more for a nice bottle of beer.....

Maybe I'll only make one batch of this one for the b'day. The punters may not like anything too flavoursome.. :D

Actually making one batch now for me, and one for the party later on sounds like a great plan. Brew plan for Easter weekend!! Which means I'll need to get out to CB this weekend as I assume they are closed for Easter. Need to grab yeast for Vienna lager and hops for Lord Nelson Citra
Make a heap for you, and if your mates are happy drinking free beer, then they can drink what they're given. :D

SWMBO has flagged a 'home day' for next weekend, which means making passata, relish, possibly gardening, a cooking day for the freezer and brewing beer. Woot!

yeh, Lord Raja, that's true actually. My mates will drink anything that's free. If they don't want to drink my beer they can go across the road to Dan Murphy's. he he...

I haven't told my wife about the 2 brew days over the Easter weekend. I just put them in our shared calendar. :ph34r:

Yob said:
Got the keg cut yet goomba?
It will (or I'll crack it) be done by the easter weekend. I have the mate who's doing it on notice as of yesterday that I'll be brewing next weekend at the latest.

I just gave him 25kg of (free) pils grain - and he's keen to figure out how to mash, boil and ferment it for *ahem* whiskey. So I shouldn't have too much trouble obtaining his complicity.

@angus - I reckon that if they're getting beer for free, then the beer provider has free reign (within reason, a Cock Ale mightn't be on the cards). And I miss Dan's - the beer here is overpriced. It costs more for a tallie of Boags Draught (I occasionally have it to get the bottle from it) here than it did in Brisbane.

Yeh, I'm not too bothered if people don't want to drink it. With my keg fridge and wheely bin setup, I should be able to have 3 kegs on the go, so if people can't find something they want to drink, then there are 2 pubs 3 minutes away or a bottle shop across the road.

Sometimes things boggle the mind. Like the fact I can buy Australian hops from US suppliers for MUCH cheaper than Aus suppliers... International shipping included.. :blink: :blink:

Or the fact that it cost almost double to buy some Canterbury shorts 15kms from the factory in New Zealand than it did to buy in Aus. Needless to say, I didn't buy them.

This is what I've come up with, based on what I have and what's available, for the current re-jig of this recipe.

I'll probably brew this over the Easter Long Weekend.

Admiral is Dead Mosaic Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale

Malt & Fermentables
% KG EBC Yield
91% 5 Mash 73 % Simpsons Maris Otter (UK)

9% 0.500 Mash 71 % Weyermann CaraRed

Mash Efficiency 75 %
Hops
Use Time Grams Hop Variety AA » IBU
boil 30 min 10.0 Chinook ~ pellet 13 » 10.8
boil 10 min 15.0 Mosaic ~ pellet 12.2 » 7.2
boil 10 min 15.0 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 3.2
boil 10 min 15.0 Citra ~ pellet 11.9 » 7
boil 10 min 15.0 Galaxy ~ pellet 13.4 » 7.9
dry hop 7 day 20.0 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 0
dry hop 7 day 20.0 Citra ~ pellet 11.9 » 0
Bitterness 36.2 IBU
BU:GU
Yeast
Fermentis US-05 Alcohol
4.9% ABV
4% ABW

So it turns out that CB don't have any Heritage crystal. Can I sub this for Crystal Malt Medium (Bairds)? It has the same EBC number so colour addition should be similar. And the flavour descriptions sound the same.

Yep, that's fine.

Basically any crystal with a similar ebc number.

You might want to chuck in 50g of biscuit just to give it an extra kick to make up for heritage, but it isn't essential.

yay, bits ordered from CB. Will pick it up Saturday and put down two brews over Easter weekend. One to ferment on the Monday and drink as soon as possible and the other to cube and ferment sometime next month.

:chug: :icon_drool2:

So we'll be brewing much the same beer on the same weekend. Bizarre how these things work out.

Can't wait to taste a decent (and cheap) APA. It's been a long time between good drinks.

A Qld vs Tas brew-off!!!!! Let the most northerly state win!! :D

I may have to pick up a few more cubes at this rate. I've only got two 20L now. Think I may prefer some 25L cubes though as I plan on ending up with 23L so I can can keg and bottle a few as well. 25L with some air squeezed should do the trick.

I've got the Vienna lager cubed in my storage cupboard, will have a "Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy subbed heritage for Bairds Crystal" pale ale cubed after Easter (and one kegged as well). Might try and find a good stout or dark ale recipe seeing as all the rest are ales or a lager. Perhaps a Black IPA just to jump on the band wagon!!

Need to build up my keg stocks a bit so I can justify getting 3-tap font for my kegerator. :super:

Sounds like you have it all planned, Angus.

Check out Supercheap Auto - I got some 25L cubes there for about $22 (SCA brand, not willow).

No Qld v Tas brew off - I don't have craftbrewer to access my fave grains (though I have got lots of hops now, thanks to Yob).

I remember when I did the IPA version of that beer - I had tons of US Cascade from a bulk buy from Niko, so I whacked about 60g of it in a couple of hop teabags and into the keg. For the first 3 days (I had force carbonated) the aroma was indescribable. Then, it dissipated a little to :icon_drool2: - suffice to say that keg didn't last all that long.

I had a Dark Ale - about my 2nd BIAB - and put some cherries in fermenation. Didn't make a Kriek, but left a nice slightly cherry aroma to the beer. Dark beers are easy. Take British Bitter recipe and then adjust. If you use BJCP guidelines, it just about tells you how to make the recipe.

Goomba

Will pick up some cubes next week once I get paid. Supercheap don't have the 25L SCA cubes on their website, just the 25L Willow cube for $25. Bunnings have some 25L HDPE cubes for $19. Winner!

Hmm, I have 2 lbs of pounds from a US hops bulk buy.... I am also going to grab some hop teabags from CB on Saturday to dry hop my keg, and I also want to start dry-hopping some IPAs for the aroma.

Oh my god, Irish Red is almost carbonated. Will be ready to test out on Saturday. Which is lucky because I am about to blow the Coopers IPA kit+bits keg I have running. The keg is VERY light. :unsure:

So I need to nail out this beer over Easter, get it fermented and kegged, and then run another brew and get it kegged. I keep running out of beer. The Wyeast yeasts are lot faster in fermenting than the kit yeasts so that will help build some stocks up. I have a mobile air-conditioner and am tempted to build an insulated cupboard to ferment ales in. Should be able to get temps to 18 degrees. I can then use the bar fridge for lagers. So many plans...... :D

No worries goomba, what I couldn't fit into the pack I sent to you I gave away to another needful soul the other day.

Bit OT but I tasted my Mosaic/Citra/Centennial today and am pretty excited about it. Might send you a bottle down as a Victorian entry.

Cheers

Back