RecipeDB - Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goomba,

The APA Sans Nelson; is it a 30 miniute boil or 60 mins? Hop additions say 30mins but further down it quotes 60 mins??

Would assume a 30 min boil all up?

cheers,

30 mins. I thought that with the low alcohol version, 60 would be good. But for the standard and sans- nelson version it's a 30 minutes, then 10 min for flavour addition.

I brewed a variation of this tonight...

Same grain bill as in the recipe DB, but wanting to use up my left over hops I went with this hop combo...

5g Sticklebract (12% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) - to bring the IBU up to 32
10g Galaxy @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
25g Cascade @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
20g B Saaz @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
10g Galaxy @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

15g B Saaz @ dry hop on day 4
25g Cascade @ dry hop on day 4

Looking forward to praising the Lord Goomba! :beer:

Big thumbs up from me LRG!
I brewed the no Nelson version and loved it. I dry hopped 50g into the keg with a teaball and was really impressed with the hop flavour and aroma.
Much disappointment from the group last night when the Keg blew dry.

Big thumbs up from me LRG!
I brewed the no Nelson version and loved it. I dry hopped 50g into the keg with a teaball and was really impressed with the hop flavour and aroma.
Much disappointment from the group last night when the Keg blew dry.

Great to hear - really happy to hear (except the keg blowing, though a nice complement to hear of disappointment).

The best thing about this recipe is that a good American modern hop or nz hop can be interchanged, so long as numbers/ratios are retained, it should work. Same with the base grain vs spec bill, though rye is really the best in this.

@phoneyhuh, how did it go?

Please vote and update the thread - anyone who brews it. Share the knowledge.

Keep your eyes peeled over the next week.

I force carbed tonight an AIPA - not really related to this one, but certainly another excellent beer, with a different hop profile, but nommy american nonetheless. Dry hopped with 110g of hops (thought it has no effect on the flavour, but left my preggers wife sniffing the glass for about 15 minutes (though of course she didn't drink it)).

Will post the recipe once I remember which computer it's on (and I think it'll be the work one), plus notes.

Goomba

Of course dry hopping has an effect on flavour.

Dry hop a glass of water for 3 days, then drink it.

Okey, dokey - I know you're right about that - I suppose I should have qualified it by saying it doesn't have the same effect as a massive 10 minute addition.

It hasn't had a massive impact on flavour as the 10m addition - and the intensity of the aroma doesn't match the intensity of the flavour.

That's really what I was alluding to.

Edit: shouldn't have posted so late at night.

AIPA recipe now posted.

Again, the same deal with the hopping - I reckon Centennial and Chinook could be subbed for Citra, and possibly cascade. Dry hopped with Cascade would be another idea.

The AIPA is considerably more bitter than this one, but balanced with a bigger malt profile.

Goomba

Drinking this now after 4 weeks in the bottle.

One of my best brews so far. Really enjoying it.

Thanks for the recipe.

Aaaaah yes that hop bill!

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Bring back memories? Tell me it was awful! :)

I have mosiac, once I'm brewing again..........
You'll love Mosaic Chris!

P.M me your address Chris I have acouple at the moment you should enjoy.

Rowy said:
P.M me your address Chris I have acouple at the moment you should enjoy.
PM sent mate.

Will be great when I'm brewing again.

In the meantime, my AHB PM assistance & random bits of advice on various threads are keeping me eager.

he he, you will be getting a little stockpile via the mail with Rowy and I sending you bottles. Mine are an unknown quantity though being my first AG.... :chug: or :icon_vomit: , who can say??? :D

So would this still work using BB Ale instead of the Perle Malt Bards? From looking at the two on CB, they both have the same EBC, which is the colour rating if I am not mistaken. There are no other specifications about the BB Ale. Reason being I have 25kg of BB Ale sitting in a drum, so would like to avoid buying more base malt if I can.

I have the cascade, but will have to buy the Citra and Galaxy. Man, starting to get a real stockpile of hops in the main fridge and chest freezer...

This will be my 3rd AG, and looking for a staple brew. Might nail out a couple of these for all the freeloaders coming over end of May for my son's 1st b'day..

angus_grant said:
So would this still work using BB Ale instead of the Perle Malt Bards? From looking at the two on CB, they both have the same EBC, which is the colour rating if I am not mistaken. There are no other specifications about the BB Ale. Reason being I have 25kg of BB Ale sitting in a drum, so would like to avoid buying more base malt if I can.
With all those hops and the crystal malt - no-one will ever know. Go for it.

Back